Advice re buying car - Evans Halshaw

Hi

I know there have been a couple of threads re Evans Halshaw but the most recent is 5 years old and I could do with some more up to date advice

I am looking at doing a part exchange of my old car and buying a nearly new car from them. they seem to be asking the same price that other people are for the exact same car - but none of the others are nearby. so far, there is no budging them re part exchange value or price on car. i wondered if this is normal there or am i right to expect some movement?

in the past i have valued my car on a few sites. my lowest quote was from webuyanycar.com. evans halshaw price was lower than this. i have always been offered more than webuyanycar by the dealer i was working with as they wanted the deal. just looking for advice really as a car is a big investment. thanks

Hi

I know there have been a couple of threads re Evans Halshaw but the most recent is 5 years old and I could do with some more up to date advice

I am looking at doing a part exchange of my old car and buying a nearly new car from them. they seem to be asking the same price that other people are for the exact same car - but none of the others are nearby. so far, there is no budging them re part exchange value or price on car. i wondered if this is normal there or am i right to expect some movement?

in the past i have valued my car on a few sites. my lowest quote was from webuyanycar.com. evans halshaw price was lower than this. i have always been offered more than webuyanycar by the dealer i was working with as they wanted the deal. just looking for advice really as a car is a big investment. thanks

Do you have the cash or a loan to buy the car, or are you looking for their/ finance?

i was looking at their finance but am now looking at maybe getting a loan independantly

That's a better option if the loan is a reasonable one, like a bank.

Sell the car privately, then go in with the cash from the loan. You will be able to offer what you want.

Sell the car privately, then go in with the cash from the loan. You will be able to offer what you want.

yes! As it stands with a part ex, they have you emotionally on 2 fronts - you want the car they have and they are prepared to take yours.

Look at the net price of the 2 cars combined - some will offer you a kings ransom for yours and flatter you, but charge a high price for theirs (usually main dealers). Others will offer you next to nothing for yours, but you buy the new one cheap (the big, nearly new places like direct cars).

The new car tax regulations haven't made it easy to sell privately, it seems more faff now.

Steer clear of Evans Halshaw. I have had more than one bad experience with them.
I have had more than one good experience with them.

In my experience their car stock is very well sourced (recent cars with low ownership (more often than not, with only 1 previous owner), lots of options, low miles, FDSH), good sales service (servicing, snagging, prep) and their prices generally low for the cars (compared to other dealerships and main dealers) whence their 'price back' guarantee (or somesuch wording).

They will be unwilling to move much at all on prices, but ash is correct in terms of the strategy, best to adopt to get any movement: don't go in with a part-ex (especially an old-ish one, as they'd just flog that at auction and factor in a loss on it, offset by the profit on the new car sale), sell it privately (you'll always get more for a private sale, your buyer isn't interested in factoring in a profit on the whole transaction), and don't take EH's own finance (expensive compared to a bank consumer loan).

Edited by L00b

One of my bad experiences was to do with their so called pre sale checks which left me in the highlands of Scotland without either jack or locking nut remover after getting a flat tyre, it cost me a whole day and a new tyre plus the cost of removal of nut. So much for the "Pre Sales Check". Their recompense was pitiful.

By the way L00b - do you work for EH ?

One of my bad experiences was to do with their so called pre sale checks which left me in the highlands of Scotland without either jack or locking nut remover after getting a flat tyre, it cost me a whole day and a new tyre plus the cost of removal of nut. So much for the "Pre Sales Check". Their recompense was pitiful.
Sounds like you didn't bother to check their presence yourself at the time of the sale (and ask EH to supply these on car delivery) in the first place.

When I said snagging, I meant your own. Or do you just buy anything and everything second hand, including something as expensive as a car, in blind faith?

By the way L00b - do you work for EH ?
Not really :rolleyes:

Plenty of posters in the SF Business section know me personally and can verify that to your heart's content.

I've bought 3 cars from them, and a few other cars from other dealers in-between (all local, 30 mile radius from Sheffield). All similar cars (size, age, mileage, price range, brands reputed for reliability: Merc, Volvo, Subaru, Mini). I've never had a bad one from EH, I've had a few lemons from the others. So just posting from experience. Like you :P

Edited by L00b

Not blind faith the hard copy of the check list stated the items where there. EH being the large concern it's supposed to be you don't expect this. Why do you think I was warning the original questioner? Clever aren't you. Dohhh!

And yes, I do think you work for EH