Daye:- 'donate as you earn'

What would you do?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• No
    • Yes

Actually, it's none of those things you list since the deducted tax is optional. No one's being forced to commit to anything they don't agree with, no one's giving money begrudgingly. It's entirely optional. If you'd prefer to opt out, then opt out, squander the money some other way, it's entirely down to personal choice. No one's being pressured into helping anyone, but if you chose to help, the cash would be deducted automatically from your wage.

You missed the point, which is that people are resistant to government spending and government measures. Whilst it may be voluntary the fact it is opt out rather than opt in makes it even more likely people will resist any involvement. People prefer freedom of choice and choosing what they spend their money on more than letting government doing it on their behalf.

Yes people are anti tax.

yes people are anti charities, just look at charity threads on these forums.

10% is a ridiculous high amount.

There was a thread on the carrier bags and that went on and on with people being enraged on the unfair tax and goverbment meddling arguments.

The point is the poll is loaded and biased, so the answer you are going to get is obvious, which makes it a pointless exercise. You could have made it more interesting by asking if people were willing to pay 1p on income tax if that money was spent on something like the NHS.

FYI there already a scheme called payrollgiving.

HMRC figures, published today, show that the total amount raised this way fell to an estimated £126m in 2014/15 from £134m the previous year, which was also down on the £155m donated in 2012/13. The total donated had previously risen in every year from 2008/09 to 2012/13. The figures show that the number of people donating this way fell by 26,000 over the past year to 1,094,000, while the cost to the Treasury of income tax relief has remained stable for the past four years at £40m.

That means the average amount donated is £141.68.

Average salary in the UK is £26,500. So people donate just over 0.53%. Hardly surprising if people are resistant to a contribution nealt 20X greater than this.

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/payroll-giving-takings-down-second-year-running-say-hmrc-figures/fundraising/article/1362085

Edited by 999tigger

Of course I'd opt out.

A) I want to choose the charitable organisations I give to

B) Any government run scheme would inevitably gravitate towards the huge charities with highly paid directors and large admin and 'fundraising' ie pain in the backside chugger budgets

C) If you give the government control of a revenue stream there's every chance of them using it to cover cuts in their own budget. There are already things that should arguably be provided by the state that are charity funded, RNLI and air ambulances being a couple of prominant examples. What would stop the government putting money into say patient transport charities while cutting those services from the NHS?

I think the government takes enough money out of my pay-packet every month!! Take that 12%, 20% & 40% tax you're already taking from me and then the further 20% business tax you take from me and use that!!!!

Grrrrrrr but I agree with whoever said none of us should have to opt out of anything, only opt in.

Why, what's it matter to you, Is there certain charities you wouldn't want to help?

Yes, I'm sure I can remember a few years ago Eton school being given millions from the gullibility tax (National Lottery) towards a leisure centre, on the proviso that locals could use it. This turned out to be one day a week. Also why contribute to the Royal Ballet and opera, if someone wants to watch it pay the economic price, after all rock concerts etc aren't subsidised.

No, nobody has a right to your body alive or dead. I think it would be a good thing to opt into though.

Without wishing to derail the thread the stats from austria and germany show the huge difference in lives saved by having opt out rather than in between two almost culturally identical countries, hence i support opt out in that particular case.