Do away with cycle lanes and speed bumps

Are you hard of reading,or is it understanding? Maybe you just argue with everything?

Your fuel economy may not be altered too much but when you consider that 1000's of vehicles if not hundreds of thousands are slowed every day by cycles and speed bumps then the amount of pollution and mpg becomes a problem.

We need to decide if were being green or being safe.Both contradict each other.

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 15:23 ----------

In your tiny scenario but in the real world most roads don't have cycle lanes.

Speed bumps don't slow me down because I drive at a constant speed whilst driving on roads with speed bumps, the only people I see slow down for speed bumps are people driving too fast for the road they are on and young people driving cars that have been lowered.

The only cyclists that usually slow me down are large groups of them travelling on country lanes, but that doesn't happen very often.

Speed bumps don't slow me down because I drive at a constant speed whilst driving on roads with speed bumps, the only people I see slow down for speed bumps are people driving too fast for the road they are on and young people driving cars that have been lowered.

The only cyclists that usually slow me down are large groups of them travelling on country lanes, but that doesn't happen very often.

My car is not lowered, there are speed humps that I have to take at about 5mph to avoid bottoming or damage. And I don't really want to drive down roads that can be a mile long at 5mph.

My car is not lowered, there are speed humps that I have to take at about 5mph to avoid bottoming or damage. And I don't really want to drive down roads that can be a mile long at 5mph.

Point taken that there are some roads with speeds bumps that need driving over at slower speeds, but I find most of the roads I use can be driven over at 20mph.

I would avoid This road or drive very slow along its entire length.

You need to step down from that high horse fella.

My observations weren't offered as some sort of empirical evidence, so of course there is some subjectivity. If you have the time, search old threads on here relating to the time of the bus strike and you'll find I was only one of many saying that.

It doesn't support any theory - I'm not offering a theory, just a contribution to the thread. Maybe its not supporting your theory ;)so therefore you've rejected it.

How do you know what I want to see? If truth be told, I want to see more walking, more cycling and more use of public transport. Ultimately, this would prove more beneficial in terms of transport and health.

You've shot an ally in your over enthusiasm to down any man who you think doesn't 100% fit your way of thinking

Not really, I was suggesting a theory that your theory was based on subjective observations. Don't take it personally!

• 3 years later...

I didn't want to start a new topic but I have been campaigning locally to get rid of speed bumps and has been great with drivers abiding by the speed limit and driving sociably. However that has now come to an end with some village idiots using the roads as race tracks again, revving late in the night and speeding down roads when kids are playing between parked cars. I have abandoned my campaign and wrote a letter to say that the road bumps can stay and put more down on junctions that seem to have become parking spaces anyway.

Cyclists and drivers don't like the gutter cycle lanes but they do save cyclists from bad tempered racing drivers who don't agree with filtering.

I thought that speed bumps were going to be phased out because the speeding up and slowing down of car engines killed many more people in total than speeding cars.

Teenage boys still speed where there are speed bumps, which is actually more dangerous than speeding on a normal road.

50 minutes ago, pearlt072 said:

I dunno, but the next cyclist that rings their bell at me, whilst cycling on the pavement will lose their teeth.

You have the right to enforce the law do you?

Vigilante idiot.