Do away with cycle lanes and speed bumps

Don't be absurb. A cycle in a cycle lane doesn't affect the speed of the traffic in the slightest.

And as a driver I can honestly say that I've never had my overall journey time altered by having to wait a few seconds to pass a bike. The fact is that the cycle will normally catch up at the next set of traffic lights and queue anyway.

Whats absurb? :)

So your car mpg isn't affected by slowing down and then speeding up? Obviously you don't drive anywhere there isn't cycle lanes?

What car is it,ill get one.

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 14:41 ----------

When driving, I'm held up by other cars much more than I'm ever held up by cycles.

And your point is?

Cycles are hardly green, they slow virtually every vehicle that comes up behind them.If we really want to be green then getting traffic to flow BETTER would be the answer, speed bumps and cyclists cause the opposite.

But if they're in a dedicated lane how can they be slowing you up?

Whats absurb? :)

So your car mpg isn't affected by slowing down and then speeding up? Obviously you don't drive anywhere there isn't cycle lanes?

I drive lots of places that don't have cycle lanes. I find that I can use my eyes to observe the road ahead, and that in rush hour I have to slow down far more frequently for traffic than I do for cycles.

In fact, cycling is often quicker near the city in rush hour, and outside the city the roads are wide enough that nobody has to slow down...

My fuel economy would only be measurably affected if it were true that cycles actually caused me to slow down for any measurable length of time.

The fact is that every cycle on the road reduces congestion slightly, and makes the journey faster and smoother for the remaining motorists.

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 15:14 ----------

'If' being the operative word,which I guess suits your motive?

You did read the OP right?

The OP claimed that cycle lanes slow down traffic.

Now you're claiming the opposite.

I say that neither is true. Cycle lanes have no impact on traffic speed, but they do sometimes have a safety benefit for cyclists (sometimes).

I drive lots of places that don't have cycle lanes. I find that I can use my eyes to observe the road ahead, and that in rush hour I have to slow down far more frequently for traffic than I do for cycles.

In fact, cycling is often quicker near the city in rush hour, and outside the city the roads are wide enough that nobody has to slow down...

My fuel economy would only be measurably affected if it were true that cycles actually caused me to slow down for any measurable length of time.

The fact is that every cycle on the road reduces congestion slightly, and makes the journey faster and smoother for the remaining motorists.

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 15:14 ----------

You did read the OP right?

The OP claimed that cycle lanes slow down traffic.

Now you're claiming the opposite.

I say that neither is true. Cycle lanes have no impact on traffic speed, but they do sometimes have a safety benefit for cyclists (sometimes).

Are you hard of reading,or is it understanding? Maybe you just argue with everything?

Your fuel economy may not be altered too much but when you consider that 1000's of vehicles if not hundreds of thousands are slowed every day by cycles and speed bumps then the amount of pollution and mpg becomes a problem.

We need to decide if were being green or being safe.Both contradict each other.

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 15:23 ----------

Surely the only thing the cyclist is doing is stopping you from joining the queue at the next junction or traffic light a little earlier?

In your tiny scenario but in the real world most roads don't have cycle lanes.

Are you hard of reading,or is it understanding? Maybe you just argue with everything?

No, no and I argue with idiots.

Your fuel economy may not be altered too much but when you consider that 1000's of vehicles if not hundreds of thousands are slowed every day by cycles and speed bumps then the amount of pollution and mpg becomes a problem.

Still not true. Cycles do not slow traffic down in any measureable way.

Every cycle on the road reduces congestion and increases MPG.

In your tiny scenario but in the real world most roads don't have cycle lanes.

So why are you posting in a thread about cycle lanes then?

You just saw something about cycles and decided to have a go at them didn't you.

No thought. No intelligence. Just the fact that you hate queueing whilst people cycle past you, stating fit and healthy, getting to work sooner than you.

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 16:14 ----------

If your struggling to work that out,maybe another thread might be better for you.

Can you read the title?

"Do away with cycle lanes"

And here you are, arguing that bikes cause delays (not true) because there aren't enough cycle lanes....

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 16:15 ----------

Do I win 50p if I'm the first to claim that you're smithy, back again?