Do away with cycle lanes and speed bumps

Horses should be allowed on the roads without ill thought out rants from cyclists? :hihi:

Funny thing is cyclone,there is quite a few horses on the roads up here and I have never seen a single motorist having a rant at them all been ok,but them cyclist chaps flying about at 30mph,madmen.

I drove past the "Leeds-Bradford cycle ‘superhighway’ today. I was surprised that there is a path, then a curb to the cycle ‘superhighway’ and then a curb to the road.

So bikes are separate from pedestrians and cars. How could mixing bikes and pedestrians be better?

Surely a better way of providing a safe place to cycle would be for a widened footpath, not a separate one.

We have pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, scooters and old folk in their scooters; all wanting to be away for the speeding cars. So why have separate lanes with a curb which would disadvantage horses and disability scooters; I guess they will just need to go on the path.

I'd be very surprised if a horse can't walk up or down a kerb... And presumably there are dropped sections.

One wide footpath, with painted symbols telling different users where to ride, would be the best solution?

From experience, pedestrians are incapable of seeing the paint.

They will probably see a kerb though, and after being asked to move a few times they might even stick to the pavement.

alch, can I ask about your point 1.

1) Why is there no consistency across the city with them?

-

edit: sorry to pick your post out. I just noticed this bit. I should start another thread about that.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that, you'd need to ask Planner1 or someone responsible for installing them.

All I can suggest is that they're in response to those speed monitors or accidents. I recall when they threw them down the full length of Stradbroke Road after a couple of high speed crashes and people getting knocked down.

Id personally like to see cyclists BANNED from the roads completly.

I'd like to see you banned, but we'll both have to carry on in life without our wishes coming true.

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 09:29 ----------

Oh goody I get the perfect excuse to leave the bike behind and drive my big fat Subaru 4x4 to work everyday sat in its heated seats watching 2.5 litres of engine munch through petrol whilst holding up all the small cars. Then I get to nick all the best parking spaces at work as Ill be in first anyway.

I like your thinking.

Don't expect your logic to have any impact on him.

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 09:30 ----------

Funny thing is cyclone,there is quite a few horses on the roads up here and I have never seen a single motorist having a rant at them all been ok,but them cyclist chaps flying about at 30mph,madmen.

Have they been ranting about them though, that's the key test.

Cycles are hardly green, they slow virtually every vehicle that comes up behind them.If we really want to be green then getting traffic to flow BETTER would be the answer, speed bumps and cyclists cause the opposite.

What is recklessly speeding? Its either speeding or its some other offence.

The only thing that slows cars (etc) is other cars. Think about that for a minute. What makes it takes ages to cross the city? Is it all the cyclists you have to overtake? No its all the queues of cars you have to sit in. The cyclists make no difference whatsoever. If everyone was on a bike there would be much better flow!

Furthermore, for every cyclist there is one fewer cars on the road.

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 09:59 ----------

Are you hard of reading,or is it understanding? Maybe you just argue with everything?

Your fuel economy may not be altered too much but when you consider that 1000's of vehicles if not hundreds of thousands are slowed every day by cycles and speed bumps then the amount of pollution and mpg becomes a problem.

We need to decide if were being green or being safe.Both contradict each other.

Perhaps if people didn't overtake cycles automatically without considering whether its actually worth overtaking their fuel economy wouldn't be affected. The fact is every day I ride along penistone road at 20-25 mph. I also make a note of where cars are relative to me and I ALWAYS get to the end of the road well ahead of any cars. Therefore my average speed is greater than the average speed of the cars. Despite that people constantly overtake me, brake, stop, overtake me, brake stop. Its bad driving basically. Educate people about fuel economy, that would be a better approach.

Edited by TimmyR

The only thing that slows cars (etc) is other cars. Think about that for a minute. What makes it takes ages to cross the city? Is it all the cyclists you have to overtake? No its all the queues of cars you have to sit in. The cyclists make no difference whatsoever. If everyone was on a bike there would be much better flow!

Furthermore, for every cyclist there is one fewer cars on the road.

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 09:59 ----------

Perhaps if people didn't overtake cycles automatically without considering whether its actually worth overtaking their fuel economy wouldn't be affected. The fact is every day I ride along penistone road at 20-25 mph. I also make a note of where cars are relative to me and I ALWAYS get to the end of the road well ahead of any cars. Therefore my average speed is greater than the average speed of the cars. Despite that people constantly overtake me, brake, stop, overtake me, brake stop. Its bad driving basically. Educate people about fuel economy, that would be a better approach.

I don't have a problem with Cycle lanes, Bus lanes on the other hand cause a huge amount of congestion.

Speed bumps I hate with a passion. I'd sooner have more cameras installed.

Id personally like to see cyclists BANNED from the roads completly.

And immigrants too I should imagine.

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 10:28 ----------

I don't have a problem with Cycle lanes, Bus lanes on the other hand cause a huge amount of congestion.

No, congestion is caused by cars. Ok bus lanes etc may have a small impact but what people always forget is the main reason we have long queues of cars is because there are lots of cars. You and the OP seem to think if you got rid of bikes and buses and their respective lanes you'd magically all be able to drive everywhere much quicker. You wouldn't, you'd still sit in queues of cars.

You are not IN traffic, you ARE traffic. Every person on a bus or a bike is one fewer cars sitting in a queue.

Edited by TimmyR

I'd sooner have more cameras as at least they don't damage your car

It's not the bus lanes that cause congestion. It's car users, particularly large numbers of one person car users.

No, congestion is caused by cars. Ok bus lanes etc may have a small impact but what people always forget is the main reason we have long queues of cars is because there are lots of cars. You and the OP seem to think if you got rid of bikes and buses and their respective lanes you'd magically all be able to drive everywhere much quicker. You wouldn't, you'd still sit in queues of cars.

although I do remember that during the bus strike we had 5 years or so ago, traffic did move faster with far less congestion without the busses.

I think part of the problem is that when busses have bus lanes available it works well. When they have to merge with car traffic, it becomes a problem