Cochlear implant?

I know this sounds strange but just wondered if anyone has a cochlear implant who wouldn't mind meeting up and sharing their experiences with a friend of mine.

She had a cochlear implant operation in December and it was "switched on" on 11th January this year. Although it's very new to her, she seems a bit down about it because she doesn't feel she's getting on with it as she should be. Personally, I think she's expecting too much too soon.

I think it would do her good to have a chat with someone who has had/who is going through the same thing to compare experiences/thoughts etc. and, hopefully, put her mind at rest.

She does speak to me, family, doctors, consultants etc but we can't/haven't experienced what she is experiencing and can't even begin to imagine what it must be like.

We are in the S6 area

Thanks in advance

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 20:42 ----------

Why has my message been moved to General Discussions? I'm enquiringly about anyone in SHEFFIELD, hence SHEFFIELD discussions

I know someone who has a cochlear implant, so whilst I can't directly help with your request about meeting up, I can give a bit more information that may be useful to your friend.

IIRC it took a while for him to get accustomed to the implant. I think the brain takes time to get used to the new signals that it is receiving, so the audible experience / quality should improve over time.

Also apparently voices sound rather "robotic" or "mechanical", and I think that's permanent.

it's an awful thing to lose one's hearing and I can't imagine what people with cochlear implants experience. I agree that your friend may be expecting results a little too quickly. Once the implant has "bedded in" and her brain is used to the new signals then I believe she should see things improve.

Hope that helps.

My daughter had bilateral cochlear implants when she was two and a half after being deafened by meningitis. She is almost 9 now and doing amazingly well. I would be more than happy to speak to / meet up with your friend. Tell her also to contact NDCS and CICS (Cochlear Implanted Children's Support Group), if she hasn't done so already.