Cigarette brands in the 50's & 60's

TORONTONY

used to help out on saturdays at my mates dad fruit stall at firth park at side of the Bank,tried all the brands and even King Edwards cigars,not bad for a ten year old.

hiya when I started work in 1953 I ws the lunch boy and remember one workmate would send me for a dripping cake and 5 woodbines he started me smoking by giving me a cig for fetching them. I remember a mrs bradley's shop down headford st in broomhall selling me 10 woodbine that had a mixture of cigs in the packet only because she sold single cigs and these were the leftovers, the worst ones were as we called them coffin nails, they were turf cigs. yuck.

hiya when I started work in 1953 I ws the lunch boy and remember one workmate would send me for a dripping cake and 5 woodbines he started me smoking by giving me a cig for fetching them. I remember a mrs bradley's shop down headford st in broomhall selling me 10 woodbine that had a mixture of cigs in the packet only because she sold single cigs and these were the leftovers, the worst ones were as we called them coffin nails, they were turf cigs. yuck.

Weren't Turf the last ones to put picture cards in the packets?

They didn't actually put cards in the packet, the slide out part of the packet that held the ten cigarettes, the picture was on the back of that and you had to cut them out. They were not coloured, they went with the packet in shades of blue.

They didn't actually put cards in the packet, the slide out part of the packet that held the ten cigarettes, the picture was on the back of that and you had to cut them out. They were not coloured, they went with the packet in shades of blue.

Yes you are right, they were part of the package and were a hazy blue. The only reason I mentioned that was that I used to collect cards but long after they were in cig packets.

Y

Turf's cig packets had a horses head on them. Made you wonder what they were made from!

They were bottom of the barrel cigarettes. Awful taste.

In the early 50s when I was at Woodhouse West, my schoolteacher, Mr. Isaac Thorpe, called me out to the front of the classroom. What have I done wrong, I wondered? "Would you just go up to the corner store for me and get me a package of Senior Service, for my break time?" he asks me as he slips a half crown in my hand.

So a 10 year old leaves class in progress and goes up to a store to buy fags for the teacher. Imagine that happening nowadays? It was probably illegal even bk then.:D

Our old boy used to smoke Capstan full strength as a young man,when he coughed my mother swore he emmited sparks!.He packed up when he married and my three siblings and I came along,he stopped dead using just will power,there were no nicotine patches in those days!.All my life I never saw him with a cig in his mouth but he had a bad chest to his dying day thanks to Capstan!.

Our old boy used to smoke Capstan full strength as a young man,when he coughed my mother swore he emmited sparks!.He packed up when he married and my three siblings and I came along,he stopped dead using just will power,there were no nicotine patches in those days!.All my life I never saw him with a cig in his mouth but he had a bad chest to his dying day thanks to Capstan!.

'Capstan Full Strength' ,were they in like 'Amber' coloured packages ?

Edited by stpetre
Spell