Cigarette brands in the 50's & 60's

TORONTONY

'Capstan Full Strength' ,were they in like 'Amber' coloured packages ?

if I remember correctly, the packs were 2 shades of brown, whereas regular strength was 2 shades of blue. My stepfather smoked full strength and I would have the odd one, don't think I could have smoked a full pack on a regular basis.

Edited by TORONTONY

Three Castles,Turf, also come to mind

A hobby that was pursued by a lot of boys was collecting cigarette packages

As kids we would wander all over town to collect cig pachages. The Midland and Victoria Stations were the mother lode for the hard to get ones, as the travellers from all over came in.

Just for fun, I collected them all again via the internet in picture form. Robin, Weights, Bar One, Clifton, Double Ace, they are all there, 89 in all.

The only ones missing from my collection are Grand Turk, Pasha, and Joy stick!

As kids we would wander all over town to collect cig pachages. The Midland and Victoria Stations were the mother lode for the hard to get ones, as the travellers from all over came in.

Just for fun, I collected them all again via the internet in picture form. Robin, Weights, Bar One, Clifton, Double Ace, they are all there, 89 in all.

The only ones missing from my collection are Grand Turk, Pasha, and Joy stick!

Players Weights, were the nearest you could get to Park Drive down South, but were not really in the same class as the real thing. After I emigrated in 1981, we were visited by both sides of our families and I always asked for some Park Drive for them to bring over. However I got so used to tipped fags that I stopped asking anymore, but my first Canadian friend loved them and they just kept coming in for a few more years, but my lungs started yelling " no more" LOL

Y

Turf's cig packets had a horses head on them. Made you wonder what they were made from!

It wasn't just a horses head, it was the winged horse from Greek myth Pegasus. He was rearing up on his back legs if my memory serves me right.

I started on Nelson around 1960, my friend and I used to buy a packet of five to share. I remember my parents having Craven "A" in yellow packets I think? Then we all went on to Embassy and collected the coupons. I remember getting a hairdryer. I occasionally bought Sobrani cocktail cigs as a teenager thinking they made me look sophisticated.

Later my preferred brand was Benson & Hedges. I stopped in 1995 and haven't had one since thank goodness. Apart from limiting the damage done to my lungs (and there is some) the cost would mean having to scrimp on other things in retirement.

'Capstan Full Strength' ,were they in like 'Amber' coloured packages ?

Hi stpetre I can,t help you there all I remember is a picture of a navy type sailor with a seascape background circled in the middle of the packet,I think the Cravan A packet was bright red!.My first ciggies were Woodbines,5 in a paper packet until I settled on Park Drive going on to Benson and Hedges as I became more affluent in my 20s!.As a schoolkid I remember one of the shops in Hillfoot selling some kind of herbal cigarette,it was rough looking bark type material,they weren,t too bad and were cheap for us schoolkids as cash was an everyday problem!.:thumbsup::help:

Hi stpetre I can,t help you there all I remember is a picture of a navy type sailor with a seascape background circled in the middle of the packet,I think the Cravan A packet was bright red!.My first ciggies were Woodbines,5 in a paper packet until I settled on Park Drive going on to Benson and Hedges as I became more affluent in my 20s!.As a schoolkid I remember one of the shops in Hillfoot selling some kind of herbal cigarette,it was rough looking bark type material,they weren,t too bad and were cheap for us schoolkids as cash was an everyday problem!.:thumbsup::help:

richmond tipped players navy cut i have an ashtray here on my desk

Edited by backwardben
added

It wasn't just a horses head, it was the winged horse from Greek myth Pegasus. He was rearing up on his back legs if my memory serves me right.

Correct. you couldn't see his back legs. though. The earliest version was on a red background, and the one we are most familiar with had a white background.

For us collectors, there were many subtle different subtle versions of the same brand packages as they modernized.

Thank you old tup, I think the cig packet with the sailor and seascape would be 'Player's Navy Cut'. Are they still around ? (the cigs that is.)

The one with the sailor and seascape is actually the Players package. Capstan was a squarish geometrical pattern on a light blue (for their Navy Cut) and brown (for their Full Strength)