Noisy wind chimes

I would explain to the neighbour that the wind chimes kept child up most of the night, next time this happens I would repeatedly knock on / ring the bell and make a complaint every hour the child was awake. I would make a note of this or maybe even s YouTube video. Failing all that I would take them down myself.

I personally sleep with ear plugs in as I can't fall asleep unless it is perfectly quiet.

I think I will knock on the door later & tell them it kept my kid up for most of the night thanx for the advice

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 14:51 ----------

The test for stautory nuisance is quite high and EH prosecute only in extreme cases becayse they lack resources. Trampolines, bouncy castles, wind chimes, cannabis are all banes of modern neighbour dipsutes.

The person who can sort this out is your neighbour, so you have to gauge them up and see what constructively will work with them.

When a neighbour wont budge, the Council or police arent interested, then you have to consider of you want to take legal action. This costs money. A letter might be enough, but this will often cause even more ill feeling so you have to tread carefully.

The creating your own noise or taking things into your own hands... then be careful.

Ps if the neughbour isnt an owner occupier, but a tenant, then you could try complaining to their LL.

They own it & I own mine

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 14:53 ----------

I would explain to the neighbour that the wind chimes kept child up most of the night, next time this happens I would repeatedly knock on / ring the bell and make a complaint every hour the child was awake. I would make a note of this or maybe even s YouTube video. Failing all that I would take them down myself.

I personally sleep with ear plugs in as I can't fall asleep unless it is perfectly quiet.

Thanx for the advice I think I'll go knock on door later and explain it kept my kid up most of the night

This sounds awful. You sound like a good neighbour, trying to solve things in a civilised way.

I hope your neighbour sees sense, but if it turns out they won't, you could try masking the noise. It seems unfair that you should have to be the one who takes action, but if you decide to try it, here are four things that have worked for me.

1) A fan or heater that makes a nice hum. I found some for less than £10 on Amazon that are OK, although if you want a good noise and a fan that lasts it may be £30.

2) A recording of natural sounds. I like this one, available as a CD or a download. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Echoes-Nature-Thunderstorm-Roberts-1993-04-13/dp/B013GVRNOK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1453913391&sr=8-5&keywords=echoes+of+nature%2C+thunderstorm (I might have a spare copy if you want to try it). I put Track 2 on repeat. Extra side benefit: whenever I hear rain I automatically get relaxed now.

3) An app that plays natural sounds. I use Relax Melodies by Ipnos on iPhone. It has a million options so it can take some experimenting to find the combination of sounds that will cover up the chimes. I do this mainky when I travel and I'm away from the wonderful solution below.

4) The luxury option, but one that has worked very well for me, is a mechanical white noise machine. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dohm-Black-Marpac-Speed-Conditioner/dp/B00R11SKNU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1453913549&sr=8-8&keywords=white+noise+machine £70 which is ridiculous I'll admit, but mine has lasted for more than 10 years, and it has given me a lot of good sleep.

Good luck. Keep taking the high road if you can -- neighbour disputes can be miserable and are worth some effort to avoid. Here's hoping your neighbours rise to your level and are as decent as you are.

Wow Dozer can only vaguely recall about white noise, interesting to see you can buy one and that you find it works.

I see its useful for tinnitus sufferers.

Is an example for anyone interested in hearing what it sounds like.

I think it might annoy me too much.

This one sounds a lot better and acceptable to me.

Edited by 999tigger

I think I will knock on the door later & tell them it kept my kid up for most of the night thanx for the advice

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 14:51 ----------

They own it & I own mine

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 14:53 ----------

Thanx for the advice I think I'll go knock on door later and explain it kept my kid up most of the night

I think I would go with that.I have some bamboo ones I keep a peg hanging on them if its breezy I just peg them together.My neighbour has never complained ,otherwise I would move them

Connect wires to the chimes, so that when they touch, it completes an electric circuit. Connect the other end of the circuit to an air raid siren.

Pavlov's dog scenario. :thumbsup:

Failing that, connect it to re-dial on the phone, which is set to the Environmental Health hotline number.

Wow Dozer can only vaguely recall about white noise, interesting to see you can buy one and that you find it works.

I see its useful for tinnitus sufferers.

Is an example for anyone interested in hearing what it sounds like.

I think it might annoy me too much.

This one sounds a lot better and acceptable to me.

Good videos, 999tigger. The lectrofan you found looks really interesting. I'll try it out next time I need to purchase one.