Cecil Parkinson

a politician who was overpromoted merely because Thatcher had a bit of a soft spot for him - she liked his chishelled features, also he was, although not the sharpest pencil in the box, an ideological 'dry' not associated with Heath and was one of the few Tories around in the first 79-83 parliament that came from a genuinely humble background. Nobody could understand what Parkinson was doing in the 1982 Falklands War cabinet except that Thatcher wanted him there. He had no defence expertise at all and nobody remembers him saying anything except agreeing with the boss. His main attribute was that he looked pretty good on television. Parkinson never had the opportunity to do a really top level job before the Sara Keays scandal derailed his career, but had he done one like Home Secretary or similar, he would probably have made a mess of it. RIP.

Sarah Keays had been Parkinson’s secretary for 12 years and his longstanding mistress. According to her account, he had promised to divorce his wife and marry her on several occasions and had enticed her back after she got a job working at the European commission in Brussels. Keays told Parkinson she was pregnant during the election campaign and was appalled by his response that she must have an abortion, or she would destroy his career: “I was shattered by his reaction ... but I had not expected this ... He said that I had better understand that he would never marry me and that if I had the baby, he would never have anything to do with me again and never wanted to see the child.”

He never did see Flora, a disabled child, who needed much care. Flora grew up in a secret world as a result of the court order that Parkinson obtained. Flora was excised from school photographs, barred from class theatrical productions and left off the list of scholastic achievements displayed on her college noticeboard, Flora has been forced, by law, to remain invisible. When Flora turned 18 and was, for the first time in her life, given a voice. Of Cecil Parkinson she said: "I would like to see him. If he loved me, he would want to see me and be in my everyday life." Sarah Keays has battled, too, to win adequate maintenance. After a court application for more money, Parkinson suggested that Flora should be institutionalised. Whatever Parkinson achieved in his life it has to be weighed against the way he treated his daughter.

(These accounts are taken from obits in the Telegraph and Guardian)

Flora grew up in a secret world as a result of the court order that Parkinson obtained. Flora was excised from school photographs, barred from class theatrical productions and left off the list of scholastic achievements displayed on her college noticeboard, Flora has been forced, by law, to remain invisible.

I doubt that very much unless the Tories introduced the Stasi to Britain.

I know she wasn't excised from school photos unless she was taxed at the same time.

I doubt that very much unless the Tories introduced the Stasi to Britain.

I know she wasn't excised from school photos unless she was taxed at the same time.

Apparently he took an injunction out on her

Parkinson applied for and won a court injunction that was almost unprecedented in British law. It forbade anyone, including Sara, from speaking of Flora publicly or doing almost anything that could lead to her identity being revealed. It prevented even Flora talking of her life.

So far-reaching were its powers that Flora's schools have had to go to extreme lengths to conceal her identity - thus she has never been photographed alongside her classmates or been allowed to take part in any school activity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/12120477/The-only-promise-Cecil-Parkinson-ever-kept-never-to-see-his-daughter.html