Dissapearance Of Lewis Haines

JBFox

Eyre Street 1999

Does anyone know where this underpass in the middle of the dual carriageway led to? I note that it was later filled in, BEFORE the re-development of the area. Why does it seem that the council were eager to fill it in? Were there problems with anti-social behaviour in the underpass? 

I know the underpass at St Mary's can feel a bit dodgy at times.

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

Eyre Street 1999

Does anyone know where this underpass in the middle of the dual carriageway led to? I note that it was later filled in, BEFORE the re-development of the area. Why does it seem that the council were eager to fill it in? Were there problems with anti-social behaviour in the underpass? 

I know the underpass at St Mary's can feel a bit dodgy at times.

Led on to Arundel Gt.   Traffic only.

https://public-art.shu.ac.uk/sheffield/lon48im.html

These pictures, which appear to be from around the time Lewis went missing, suggest that the only way to cross the road (towards the river, where it was speculated that Lewis may have fallen in) was via this bridge, with MANY steps. I wonder, if someone could walk up so many steps and get to the other side, how un-balanced would they be to fall in a river? 

On 25/03/2023 at 18:55, Irene Swaine said:

These pictures, which appear to be from around the time Lewis went missing, suggest that the only way to cross the road (towards the river, where it was speculated that Lewis may have fallen in) was via this bridge, with MANY steps. I wonder, if someone could walk up so many steps and get to the other side, how un-balanced would they be to fall in a river? 

Looking at the picture of the bridge I don't think there were steps.  With that sort of design there would be ramps/slopes to enable wheelchair access.

On 26/03/2023 at 21:00, francypants said:

Looking at the picture of the bridge I don't think there were steps.  With that sort of design there would be ramps/slopes to enable wheelchair access.

I have seen pictures which definitely show steps on that bridge, or appear to!

This was the 1990s, when wheelchair accessibility was limited to a twice weekly mobility bus service and trial low floor buses on selected routes.

Many shops were not accessible too and brail etc was not as common as it is today.

Edited by Irene Swaine

On 25/03/2023 at 19:55, Irene Swaine said:

Like many lads, I used to cross the road by "climbing" the fence running down the centre of the road - wasn't very high or difficult to do.

On 01/04/2023 at 13:47, Longcol said:

Like many lads, I used to cross the road by "climbing" the fence running down the centre of the road - wasn't very high or difficult to do.

But were you squiffy? We are led to believe Lewy was drunk, so drunk that he could have fallen in to a canal. Could you climb a fence after a skinful?

On 26/03/2023 at 21:00, francypants said:

There were separate steps and ramps on that bridge. They can be seen in the photos.

• Like 1