Beached whale comes to Sheffield

I can understand why they dont do
anymore

Should have towed them out to sea, then blown them apart and let nature take care of the residue...Angel1.

According to a marine biologist on the Beeb the other morning, dead, beached whales often explode naturally, from a build-up of gas inside the decomposing body. The said biologist recounted being covered in the debris from some such incidents.

According to a marine biologist on the Beeb the other morning, dead, beached whales often explode naturally, from a build-up of gas inside the decomposing body. The said biologist recounted being covered in the debris from some such incidents.

Two of the whales did explode! their backs were "blown off" by the build up of gas.

Edited by POUNDSWORTH

Although this was a sad and distressing thing (apart from for those numpties that went trophy hunting and sprayed messaged on the carcasses) I did have a slight chuckle at Look North on Tuesday night when they said the 'delicate process of removing them' would commence.

'Delicate'? Really?? Nothing bloody delicate about bulldozing several tons of whale carcass onto the back of a flatbed!

*my bold

I presume you have never seen the effects of gas build up and release in a dead animal? With a whale being so inflated and the skin already started to break down then yes it is a delicate operation. Knocking the whale about with a bulldozer will result in a lovely display of exploding whale guts!! Which would make the clean up even harder