The great British benefits handout.

danot

Perhaps Channel 5 could start a unique experiment in producing quality television that is both challenging, rewarding and unique. Instead of relying on cheapo ****e

I heard an interview with their head of programming or something like that. He happily describes it as 'Tabloid TV' - cheap and quick to make programmes.

You wouldn't expect serious news from the daily star, same as you don't expect channel 5 to make a proper documentary.

Or make a fly on the wall, benefit Street style programme about the millionaire tax dodgers.

Why? What's the point?

Do you really think enough viewers would really watch a documentary filming lots of city slickers in their suits sat in board meetings and in long winded consultations with lawyers and accountants. None of which a lay person understands.

Its the point and gorpe circus sideshow factors of watching people like Tracey and Micky slobbing around their council house frittering away "our tax monies" which attracts us viewers. Its the whole reason that trash television like Jeremy Kyle, Judge Rinder and the fake tanned airheads of TOWIE attract such huge following.

No brainer television (in so many ways)

Cheap to make. Cheap to broadcast. Maximum viewing figures. Maximum return on investment.

Now I've seen it all. Just seen a channel 5 programme advertised Penned as a unique experiment.

Channel 5 are airing a programme in which they give British families on benefits a briefcase containing a years worth of benefits up front to see whether they blow the lot.

Starts February 9th.

There doesn't need to be a programme about this as a unique experiment, we'll be able to see the same thing all over the country, only with 1/12th of the briefcase contents.

Why? What's the point?

Do you really think enough viewers would really watch a documentary filming lots of city slickers in their suits sat in board meetings and in long winded consultations with lawyers and accountants. None of which a lay person understands.

Its the point and gorpe circus sideshow factors of watching people like Tracey and Micky slobbing around their council house frittering away "our tax monies" which attracts us viewers. Its the whole reason that trash television like Jeremy Kyle, Judge Rinder and the fake tanned airheads of TOWIE attract such huge following.

No brainer television (in so many ways)

Cheap to make. Cheap to broadcast. Maximum viewing figures. Maximum return on investment.

It's probably those that tune in to this stuff have more in common with what and who they are watching than they do with those slickers in financial and board meetings. To connect and relate you surely need to recognise and acknowledge on an intimate level. C5 really is the barrel in TV, there is worse though..the US and Italy being two.

Channel 5 are airing a programme in which they give British families on benefits a briefcase containing a years worth of benefits up front to see whether they blow the lot.

Starts February 9th.

And in the 30 second trailer they spoilt any suspense by showing the results - one family went on a Toys R Us spending spree. Another was shown working hard. The rest is just filler!

What are the average viewing figures for PMQT?

and what are the average viewing figures for TV like this?

I always try to watch PMQT, best comedy on the TV. I always set myself a challenge, trying to guess which question the PM will answer before he replies. The PM is winning the competition, never seen him answer a question with a straight answer yet.

Angel1.

I always try to watch PMQT, best comedy on the TV. I always set myself a challenge, trying to guess which question the PM will answer before he replies. The PM is winning the competition, never seen him answer a question with a straight answer yet.

Angel1.

Wonder if Mt Corbyn will ask any of his own questions one day..instead of relying on ones sent into him :hihi: