Horse manure in the countryside. Alert!

For years I've left a small pile of horse manure on a rough verge at the edge of a lane that runs down my field. Local people come and help themselves as and when and the pile never lasts long. I've had all sorts of veg given me from grateful gardening recipients over the years.

Now SCC have said it has to stop, and all because one person (a well known busy body has complained)

Such a shame because for years it's been an arrangement that's suited me and dozens of locals, but there you go.

The Council may be in financial meltdown but they've still got money to spend on 'useful' services like the eradication of manure in the countryside.

This is the most stupid thing I have ever heard - doesn't manure come as part and parcel in countryside. Its all good organic stuff, natural and made of grass - no meat content in their either - unless your horse likes a steak.

They need to concentrate on dog owners who let their dogs poo on the pavements, now that is vile! :gag:

And, what are gardeners going to put on their roses? :loopy:

Presumably the council quoted some policy or another you were supposedly breaking? Fly tipping maybe?

Would be interesting to know which one. You were providing a wanted resource that you say people seemed very happy with, so unless there is a specific rule you were breaking I don't know why one opinion gets something stopped when many other people want you to continue but their points aren't taken in consideration. Seems rather unfair to me.

Personally I'd try and work round whatever rule I was meant to be in breach of..

You don't see the council go after any other horse owners, they regularly take a crap on whatever street they're riding on.

(The horses, not the owners)

Including police horses, they never clean up after them after football matches surely breaking a law there.

Presumably the verge is council or highways owned which would give them the legal right to stop you i don,t see how they could stop you if the bit of land was privately owned.

Perhaps there is a job opportunity for some young unemployed person to bag it and sell it for a small fee?

Edited by Arthur Ritus

On your property put up a sign saying Free Manure. The pile being also on

your property.

Now would they then tel you to take the sign down as you did not have planning

permission.

It takes weeks to get a burnt out car or a load of Fly Tipping removed.

Council gone mad or should that be insane.

For years I've left a small pile of horse manure on a rough verge at the edge of a lane that runs down my field. Local people come and help themselves as and when and the pile never lasts long. I've had all sorts of veg given me from grateful gardening recipients over the years.

Now SCC have said it has to stop, and all because one person (a well known busy body has complained)

Such a shame because for years it's been an arrangement that's suited me and dozens of locals, but there you go.

The Council may be in financial meltdown but they've still got money to spend on 'useful' services like the eradication of manure in the countryside.

Can you not leave it in your field for people to help themselves ?