South yorkshire police fastest cars?

Really? Link

Probably too dangerous to actually use in reality though.

You'd need a long straight bit of road, without any other people around to get in the way.

and god help them if they do cause the car to have a nasty accident because the driver didn't have proper control.

At least when the cars tyres get hit by a stinger the loss of control is gradual and roughly in line with the loss of speed.

If my engine switched off whilst im going 70mph i would have no breaks, no steering and probably no chance of survival.

Its a good idea but i cant see it working in practice.

Most ECUs have an emergency setting. So in an emergency you can get home on impulse power. Most fast German cars are programmed to have a max speed of 200kph. It isn't a major complication to put a programme in the ECU that would take away a cars performance so that the police were chasing a car that topped out at 30 mph.

Another method would be to limit fuel supplied to the engine so it lost most performance.

If we assume that most cars that are being chased are stolen and probably not running with the owners keys in the ignition it would make an activation system relatively snag free. My own car is fitted with blue tooth. It would be nice to think that the police or I could use that to imobilise the car should it be stolen.

Edited by foxy lady

Most ECUs have an emergency setting. So in an emergency you can get home on impulse power. Most fast German cars are programmed to have a max speed of 200kph. It isn't a major complication to put a programme in the ECU that would take away a cars performance so that the police were chasing a car that topped out at 30 mph.

Another method would be to limit fuel supplied to the engine so it lost most performance.

If we assume that most cars that are being chased are stolen and probably not running with the owners keys in the ignition it would make an activation system relatively snag free. My own car is fitted with blue tooth. It would be nice to think that the police or I could use that to imobilise the car should it be stolen.

Not sure how this can be effectively done really. Its like saying you can hijack a toaster with a ray gun type thing just because the toaster has electronic components. Surely a car would have to have a way of being communicated with like bluetooth or wifi?

Otherwise how can it be done?

Most cars that are stolen do use the owners keys, the days of hotwiring being the main method of theft are long gone.

Some high-end cars are now being stolen by crims programming a new key for the car as they go to steal it.

Not sure how this can be effectively done really. Its like saying you can hijack a toaster with a ray gun type thing just because the toaster has electronic components. Surely a car would have to have a way of being communicated with like bluetooth or wifi?

Otherwise how can it be done?

50 years ago folk couldn't imagine the internet or a mobile phone. Yet now I can turn the oven on using my smart phone.

Edited by foxy lady

I would have thought the technology existed for the police to turn off the engine of a car being chased. That way they could chase them in a Morris Minor.

In reality you'd have to think about how this was secured. And being secured, how the police would access, but nobody else....

And you'd have to think about how to protect it from being disabled.

For example, if it worked on bluetooth or wifi, jamming it would be extremely easy, and thieves would just start carrying a little jammer box with them.

There are already security issues on cars, with the drive by wire being susceptible to hacking, and this is without such a feature being designed in.

How easy would a car jacking be, if you could hack the car and have it stop for you!

There's nothing fundamentally wrong or difficult about the idea, but it would be so easy to defeat and so easy to misuse that it's unlikely to happen (perhaps until we have driverless cars, maybe then it's more likely).

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 19:33 ----------

Really? Link

Look at the size of thing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25197786

It's designed to be mounted in a location that needs to be secured, a checkpoint for example.

It could probably be mounted in a truck, but then they're not often much use in high speed chases.