Ex Sheffield Resident

Malren

Hello from Australia, just accidently found this forum whilst looking for the way to play Finger Thumb and Rusty Bum, the wife didn't believe such a game existed (she's Aussie). My name is Mal Renshaw, lived at Wisewood and emigrated with my parents when I was sixteen in 1964, attended the then Central Technical School. I have not been back to England since and lost contact with past friends and relations. So I joined the forum in the event someone out there may remember me. I have cousins Paul Renshaw (policeman I recall) ,

Stewart Renshaw and a lady now we used to call Cherry Renshaw.

So if anyone knows of these people or remembers me I would appreciate a response.

Cheers

Mal

I went to Main Bridge School from 1953 - 1959 and I think you were in the same year/class as me?

There are lots of of posts in this section of the forum relating to Hillsboro and MB School - there is even Mr "Hillsboro" himself (another MB ex-pupil from c1948 vintage).

Hi Susie,

You must have a great memory, you are correct those were the years I attended although unfortunately I cannot recall yourself. I remember a chap named Michael Sykes we used to have scuffles at lunchtime, I also remember getting the ruler rapped on the back of my legs - also a teacher confiscating my best conker. Playing rounders for the school was my best subject in those days.

Do you recall any names - was there a teacher called Mrs Priestly?

Hello from Australia, just accidently found this forum whilst looking for the way to play Finger Thumb and Rusty Bum, the wife didn't believe such a game existed (she's Aussie). My name is Mal Renshaw, lived at Wisewood and emigrated with my parents when I was sixteen in 1964, attended the then Central Technical School. I have not been back to England since and lost contact with past friends and relations. So I joined the forum in the event someone out there may remember me. I have cousins Paul Renshaw (policeman I recall) ,

Stewart Renshaw and a lady now we used to call Cherry Renshaw.

So if anyone knows of these people or remembers me I would appreciate a response.

Cheers

Mal

There was a Paul Renshaw with a sister Cheryl Renshaw who attended Carfield School/Newfield Secondary School in the 1960's. Paul would be about 69 now and Cheryl about 66/7, they lived on Derbyshire Lane. I believe Paul married another Carfield pupil Christine Hides and, he was a policeman.

There was a Paul Renshaw with a sister Cheryl Renshaw who attended Carfield School/Newfield Secondary School in the 1960's. Paul would be about 69 now and Cheryl about 66/7, they lived on Derbyshire Lane. I believe Paul married another Carfield pupil Christine Hides and, he was a policeman.

Hi Duffems,

Thanks for that, they would be the cousins for sure. Hope someone may know of their present location.

Cheers

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 05:50 ----------

welcome to the forum Mal, theres actually an introductions section if you fancy a proper introduction ;)

Thanks for the welcome Mel, still trying to navigate the system not sure where to look for the intro yet.

Hi Duffems,

Thanks for that, they would be the cousins for sure. Hope someone may know of their present location...

I can't give their present locations but can give a little information from public records. The births index shows that a Paul Renshaw was born in Sheffield in Oct-Dec 1947 and a Cheryl Renshaw in Apr-Jun 1949, the mother's maiden name in each case being Foster.. A Jack Renshaw (evidently born 1923) married a Brenda D. Foster (born 1926) in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1945. Cheryl is most likely the Cheryl Renshaw who married Stephen R. France in Sheffield in Jul-Sep 1972.

Hi Susie,

You must have a great memory, you are correct those were the years I attended although unfortunately I cannot recall yourself. I remember a chap named Michael Sykes we used to have scuffles at lunchtime, I also remember getting the ruler rapped on the back of my legs - also a teacher confiscating my best conker. Playing rounders for the school was my best subject in those days.

Do you recall any names - was there a teacher called Mrs Priestly?

There was a teacher called Mrs Preece; her daughter, Margaret was in the same class as me. Infant teachers were: Miss Peaker, Miss Wright, Miss Pidcock, Mrs Senior, Miss Garrison, the Head was Miss Catherall then Miss Pass. The Head of the Junior School was Mr Courage, teachers were: Mrs Potter, Mr Binney, Mr Hawley and Mr Brooham.

I have a photo of me, Lynne Cartledge, Graham Wilkinson, and, I think, Michael Sykes, when we were in the reception class. Soon after we started in 1953, there were the coronation celebrations, I remember we did a pageant and each got a mug and a purple tin of chocolates.

I also have a photo of Mrs Potter's class, but you aren't on it, so maybe we were in the same class in the infants, or in Mr Hawley's?

Children I remember who lived in Wisewood were: Melville Morton, Trevor Ronksley, Judith Oxley, Ainsley Markham, Pat Hunter. Other boys in the same year were: Stephen/Steven Haigh/Hague, Kevin Cole, Raymond Proctor, Stuart Ronson, Victor Edy, Philip (or Stephen? Or?) Spencer, Philip Swift, Steven Tivey, Jimmy Croft, Michael Wilmott, Philip Robinson, John Dunnell, Julian Hunt, Roger Pearce, Brian Gaines, Brian Wright, David Gregory, Robert Davey, Tony Williamson, Ashley Davis, John Mills, Roy Womersley, John Russell.

I remember your name very well, but not sure I can remember what you looked like! Did you have blonde hair?

Re finger, thumb or rusty bum, I remember playing it under the shed in the playground ......

Edited by susie1
Typos, more info

I can't give their present locations but can give a little information from public records. The births index shows that a Paul Renshaw was born in Sheffield in Oct-Dec 1947 and a Cheryl Renshaw in Apr-Jun 1949, the mother's maiden name in each case being Foster.. A Jack Renshaw (evidently born 1923) married a Brenda D. Foster (born 1926) in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1945. Cheryl is most likely the Cheryl Renshaw who married Stephen R. France in Sheffield in Jul-Sep 1972.

Thanks Hillsbro,

They are definately the people, Paul played for Sheffield boys,

His father Jack was the caretaker at the Central Tech School for a while which I attended but left after short period when the school was moved to Gleadless.

Cheryl was the youngest because there was another brother Stewart (Stuart).

Jack was the younger brother of my father Bill who also played for Sheffield boys. Dad was a POW during the war but fortunately escaped.

Cheers

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 10:15 ----------

There was a teacher called Mrs Preece; her daughter, Margaret was in the same class as me. Infant teachers were: Miss Peaker, Miss Wright, Miss Pidcock, Mrs Senior, Miss Garrison, the Head was Miss Catherall then Miss Pass. The Head of the Junior School was Mr Courage, teachers were: Mrs Potter, Mr Binney, Mr Hawley and Mr Brooham.

I have a photo of me, Lynne Cartledge, Graham Wilkinson, and, I think, Michael Sykes, when we were in the reception class. Soon after we started in 1953, there were the coronation celebrations, I remember we did a pageant and each got a mug and a purple tin of chocolates.

I also have a photo of Mrs Potter's class, but you aren't on it, so maybe we were in the same class in the infants, or in Mr Hawley's?

Children I remember who lived in Wisewood were: Melville Morton, Trevor Ronksley, Judith Oxley, Ainsley Markham, Pat Hunter. Other boys in the same year were: Stephen/Steven Haigh/Hague, Kevin Cole, Raymond Proctor, Stuart Ronson, Victor Edy, Philip (or Stephen? Or?) Spencer, Philip Swift, Steven Tivey, Jimmy Croft, Michael Wilmott, Philip Robinson, John Dunnell, Julian Hunt, Roger Pearce, Brian Gaines, Brian Wright, David Gregory, Robert Davey, Tony Williamson, Ashley Davis, John Mills, Roy Womersley, John Russell.

I remember your name very well, but not sure I can remember what you looked like! Did you have blonde hair?

Re finger, thumb or rusty bum, I remember playing it under the shed in the playground ......

Hi Susie,

I found a couple of photos, the first is a class photo of 33 children which revived my memory of a few, the most prominent was a Stephen Linley who I recall continually wet his pants, others I recognise as Ashlley Markham who lived in Findon rd as I did, Ashley Davies, Tony Williamson, Michael Butler (I think),

Phillip Glover, Terry Rich, Iris Stagg who lived at the bottom of Boulder hill.

There is the head teacher I presume and maybe Mrs Preece. The other photo is in the classroom with children sitting at their desks, myself and I think a girl called Kay are painting on the classroom floor. If you are interested I could take a photo of each and text them to you if thats possible.

Cheers

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 10:25 ----------

I think Cheryl used to attend the 'tanner rush' on Park Hill flats on Wednesday nights circa 1966. I walked her to her bus stop once but I don't think she was interested in me, lol. She went out with one of my pals a few times. :)

Thanks Jim for your reply - not sure what the ' tanner rush' is maybe you should have walked a bit slower missed the bus that would have given you more time to exhibit your charm.

Cheers