Ex Sheffield Resident

Malren

Thanks Jim for your reply - not sure what the 'tanner rush' is maybe you should have walked a bit slower missed the bus that would have given you more time to exhibit your charm.

Cheers

The tanner rush was a disco in the community centre near the Link pub on the flats. Thinking back, perhaps I was in too much of a rush myself. :)

...Stephen Linley who I recall continually wet his pants, others I recognise as Ashlley Markham who lived in Findon rd as I did, Ashley Davies, Tony Williamson, Michael Butler (I think), Phillip Glover, Terry Rich, Iris Stagg who lived at the bottom of Boulder hill.

There is the head teacher I presume and maybe Mrs Preece. ...

Hi Malren - most of these names are familiar to me (I just wish I could remember you!) Ashley Davis and Tony Williamson were in 3A and 4A with me in 1957-59. Here is a class photo of 1959, and here are the names (I'm Philip Robinson). Sadly, some classmates are no longer with us; Ashley died in 2013 and others I know of are Julian Hunt, Moira Jackson and Trevor Ronksley. I think Iris Stagg (now Charlesworth) still lives in Hillsborough; Tony WIlliamson lives in Wadsley. Here is a photo of junior school teachers in c. 1955. Those I remember are (front row from left) Mrs Dean, Miss Winkworth, Lewis Hawley (deputy head), Frank Courage (head), Miss Thorpe, Frank Brooham, Mrs Potter. Back row from left are Mr Martin, (unknown), Stella Preece, (unknown but might be Miss Birtles?), Mr Binney. Edited by hillsbro

Hi Phil,

I do not appear in that photo although an extra one I now recognise is Geofrey Smith who later in life played drums in a band with myself around the early sixtys. Can you guide me in how to put my two class photos on the forum if I first take shots with my IPad

Mal

Hi Mal - you could upload the photos to an image hosting site and then give links, or if you prefer I could do this for you. Anyway I'll send you my email address via "Private Message" so that you can email the JPEGs etc. to me.

The births index confirms that Jack and Brenda's youngest child Stuart was born in Jul-Sep 1951. He was most likely the Stuart Renshaw who married Wendy Byne in Sheffield in Apr-Jun 1972.

Are you any relation to Cyril Renshaw, who was caretaker at Malin Bridge School when we were there?

---------- Post added 01-02-2016 at 06:40 ----------

Here are links to two photos sent by Malren - a class photo "I am third boy from the left, back row" and a smaller group "that's me on the floor with Miss Kay I think".

Edited by hillsbro

..Hi Susie,

I found a couple of photos, the first is a class photo of 33 children which revived my memory of a few, the most prominent was a Stephen Linley who I recall continually wet his pants, others I recognise as Ashlley Markham who lived in Findon rd as I did, Ashley Davies, Tony Williamson, Michael Butler (I think),

Phillip Glover, Terry Rich, Iris Stagg who lived at the bottom of Boulder hill.

There is the head teacher I presume and maybe Mrs Preece. The other photo is in the classroom with children sitting at their desks, myself and I think a girl called Kay are painting on the classroom floor. If you are interested I could take a photo of each and text them to you if thats possible.

Cheers...

I also went to Malin Bridge school; we had Mrs Preece as our teacher in the 3rd and 4th year. Some of the names are familiar to me - Philip Glover still lives in the area; I saw him in town a couple of years ago. I saw in The Star that Ashley Davis had sadly died - he lived at the top of Wood Road. His dad was a former footballer (professional I think - I remember seeing some trophies he had won).

[/color]Here are links to two photos sent by Malren - a class photo "I am third boy from the left, back row" and a smaller group "that's me on the floor with Miss Kay I think".

Re the class photo, names as I recall are:

Back row: David Lines, Julian Hunt, Malcolm Renshaw, Philip Green, Graham Wilkinson, ??, Harry Selby, Michael Butler, Terry Rich, Philip Robinson

Middle row: ??, Tony Williamson, John Russell, Ann Koerner, Carole Kay, ??, Elizabeth Beck, Pat Hunter, Linda Barrett, Iris Stagg, Philip Glover, Ashley Davis, Stephen Lindley

Front row: Pamela (?) Hodgson (?) Margaret Birks, Alana Hatfield, ??, Susan Bell, Susan Kitchen (?), Stella McCrystal, Carole Holmes, Lynne Cartledge, Ainsley Markham

Edited by susie1
Addition

My goodness susie1 - you have an amazing memory! And there I am at the end of the back row. This must be in the infants school, perhaps in 1953. It could be Stuart Ronson next to Graham Wilkinson; I can't help with any of the other names. The head mistress at the left is Miss Evelyn Catherall, and the class teacher Miss Bolsover. The following year (1953-54) I was in Miss Birch's class and then with Miss Garrison in 2A. Here is my school report for 1953 (don't laugh :P).

My goodness susie1 - you have an amazing memory! And there I am at the end of the back row. This must be in the infants school, perhaps in 1953. It could be Stuart Ronson next to Graham Wilkinson; I can't help with any of the other names. The head mistress at the left is Miss Evelyn Catherall, and the class teacher Miss Bolsover. The following year (1953-54) I was in Miss Birch's class and then with Miss Garrison in 2A. Here is my school report for 1953 (don't laugh :P).

Hello Hillsbro, hope you are well. Good memory for ages ago, last 5 mins often poor!

Re the class teacher, she's Miss Wright, I've checked back in my school reports and the one dated July 1954 was signed by Miss Wright. I was never in Miss Bolsover's class and she had dark hair, unlike the teacher in this photo.

My first teacher to July 53 was Miss Peaker, then I had Miss Wright, but I don't remember whose class I was in in the last year of infants (and I don't have a report for July 1955) maybe Miss Birch? Or Mrs Pidcock or was that Miss Birch's or Miss Wright's married name? Sadly, I wasn't in Miss Garrison's "A" class (much to my disappointment) nor Mrs Senior's (she took the "C" class), so who took the "B" class? I went into the "A" class when I went up to the juniors.

I've also just been looking at "First Aid in English and "The New First Aid in English" - do you remember these excellent books? Mr Hawley told us to get them. I remember my dad taking me to Andrews one Saturday morning to get a copy. The breadth of info in them is amazing and there's a very thorough grounding in grammar and many other aspects of spoken English. It's a pity that spoken and written English is not still taught to this standard.

I'm pretty sure the boy next to Graham Wilkinson is not Stuart Ronson.

Edited by susie1
Correction

Hello susie1 - yes, it was Miss Wright. Miss Bolsover was my teacher when I started in 1952 but I do remember Miss Wright a little later, perhaps during the summer 1953 term. In 1953-54 I was in Miss Birch's class - see here. I remember she taught us to sing Sur le Pont d'Avignon in French (the things you remember!) I think it would have been Miss Wright or Miss Birch who took 2B. Miss Birch may well have been the Janet M. Birch who married Gordon B. Smith in Sheffield in 1957 - the 2005 electoral roll finds them at Ecclesfield. Edith Garrison was a lovely lady; she lived near the Botanical Gardens and I visited her in 1989, a few months before she died aged 83. She always had a pack of Du Maurier cigarettes on her desk! Yes - The New First Aid in English; I also got them from Andrew's (along with my trainspotting books and stamp albums!)