National borders are becoming irrelevant, says John McDonnell

In a globalised economy where there is free trade, the concept of borders is becoming increasingly irrelevant. For example the recent furore over multinational companies not paying their 'fair share' demonstrates this.

While large companies, and the financiers in the City of London (and other capitals) have reaped the rewards, ordinary Joe Bloggs doesn't seem to have benefitted to the same extent, if at all.

I think there is a huge democratic deficit in our society arising from globalisation that does need addressing.

I don't see how this bold follows on from your first paragraph which I agreed with.

What do you mean here in bold Mister? - were you quoting the post above and agreeing that there isn't a credible opposition? I may have misread, so apols if I have.

In a globalised economy where there is free trade, the concept of borders is becoming increasingly irrelevant. For example the recent furore over multinational companies not paying their 'fair share' demonstrates this.

While large companies, and the financiers in the City of London (and other capitals) have reaped the rewards, ordinary Joe Bloggs doesn't seem to have benefitted to the same extent, if at all.

I think there is a huge democratic deficit in our society arising from globalisation that does need addressing.

You won't be in favour of McDonnell's idea then. Here's some rough numbers from memory.

$10k p/a income is the average worldwide.

$30k pa income puts you in the world's top 1%.

$40k p/a income is the UK average.

How would you cope with only $10k a year?

In a globalised economy where there is free trade, the concept of borders is becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Maybe you ought to change that in terms of the existing concept rather than the concept per se. Our ideas about borders and how they work have to change and adapt to the changing circumstances. The internet presents such a challenge.

For example the recent furore over multinational companies not paying their 'fair share' demonstrates this.

Actually it just shows that we need to rethink about cyber borders. borders themseleves are more relevant than ever from a tax collection point of view and more recently as a way to control the flow of people.

The ordinary citizen isnt going to benefit as much because they arent on the same level of salary. They do benefit though because they get speedier passport checks within the EU, they get cheaper price from global trade and they can shop more easily all over Europe .

So I disagree with you.

The Shadow Chancellor thinks that national borders will disappear so that people can come and go as they please.

I don't see how that can happen while ever we have a country with a national government and a national economy.

What he seems to be trying to say is that he expects either anarchy or a single world government because there won't be any benefit to being a sovereign nation if people can just walk in from somewhere that's not as nice.

He clearly doesn't understand people if he thinks the haves will stand idle whilst the have nots move in to take what they want. Sooner or later the haves will start killing the have nots in order to keep what they have. You only have to listen to the people that want wealth equality, what they actually mean is they want a more equal share of someone else's wealth, but they don't want to share their own wealth more equally with people that have less than them.

He clearly doesn't understand people if he thinks the haves will stand idle whilst the have nots move in to take what they want. Sooner or later the haves will start killing the have nots in order to keep what they have.

The rich will move their money to the safest place. That's what I'd do if I had a lot of money, in fact I do it now when I have any money (same as most people). The rich always will, certainly in today's 'global world' where it is FAR easier than in the past to move money.

The have nots will probably win a few small battles, and at some point far left or right will have some power for a bit, but long term as I said, I think it's inevitable. I think the UK has seen its richest time, and now the majority will go downhill in terms of wealth. People in Britain have got used to everything on a plate, so it can only go one way.

In the end, and what is obvious in every day life now, is that the majority of people are pretty much apathetic or at least indifferent towards politics, and that's the reason some vote for extreme parties.

You only have to listen to the people that want wealth equality, what they actually mean is they want a more equal share of someone else's wealth, but they don't want to share their own wealth more equally with people that have less than them.

Well precisely.

They talk about it, but like people on the right/Tories/most people actually, they won't act on it other than giving to a charity to make them feel better about their cause.

The rich will move their money to the safest place. That's what I'd do if I had a lot of money, in fact I do it now when I have any money (same as most people). The rich always will, certainly in today's 'global world' where it is FAR easier than in the past to move money.

The have nots will probably win a few small battles, and at some point far left or right will have some power for a bit, but long term as I said, I think it's inevitable. I think the UK has seen its richest time, and now the majority will go downhill in terms of wealth. People in Britain have got used to everything on a plate, so it can only go one way.

In the end, and what is obvious in every day life now, is that the majority of people are pretty much apathetic or at least indifferent towards politics, and that's the reason some vote for extreme parties.

Well precisely.

They talk about it, but like people on the right/Tories/most people actually, they won't act on it other than giving to a charity to make them feel better about their cause.

When 99% / 7 billion people have less than you there's only one way equality is going to happen. Open borders will certainly speed it up.

When 99% / 7 billion people have less than you there's only one way equality is going to happen. Open borders will certainly speed it up.

Well yes, that's is my argument, hence why I said it is inevitable.

I didn't argue in favour of open borders btw if that's what you're implying.

Disagree. Borders will change in a hundred years - no doubt but borders will be there accompanied with thwacking great walls. An awful lot of resources will be scarcer then and people will want to protect them.

Disagree. Borders will change in a hundred years - no doubt but borders will be there accompanied with thwacking great walls. An awful lot of resources will be scarcer then and people will want to protect them.

Will this be when the lefties realise the righties were right? :) (no pun)