Harry Mellor of Newton Chambers

Longshot

Hi. Genealogy researcher here, seeking any news of this man, born 1906, died 1962, who appears to have been a production control clerk at Newton Chambers. Related to the Naylor family. Can anyone help with any relatives of either? Peter Athorn Naylor and wife Mary were both killed in a plane crash in France in 1963, childless, and the beneficiary of Peter's estate was Harry. It's a very long story as to why, but the end result is - where are the Naylors buried? They had no children, but Harry was a cousin - maybe his descendants can help. Harry was married to a Clara.

Strangely, 40 British people died in that crash but news of it didn't seem to reach your city.

Unless you know better.

The bodies were all flown back and Sheffield was Peter's home city.

Grateful for any leads.

Yes I did look on the newspapers on Find my Past and found nothing - even googling his name which as you say is unusual brought up nothing. Also I could not find a marriage for Athorn and Naylor - his parents. although I did find Harry's parents marriage - Charles Ashmore Mellor to Gertrude Athorn - so it would appear the Harry and Peter were cousins.

---------- Post added 02-02-2016 at 11:20 ----------

Also found the death of Charles Ashmore Mellor in 1954 his probate states he left £4330 2 s 11d the executor was Albert Mellor. Charles was living 71 Broad Street which is the same address where Harry and Maria Athorn lived before their deaths.

You may think this information is irrelevant to your search but it could lead you to other members of the family who you don't know but may be able to answer some of your questions

Edited by smary

Thank you for that extra information. The Naylors lived in Hurst Road. No such road exists today.Today I have gleaned that Sheffield suffered a massive 'slum' clearance, which removed the entire area, in the 1960s. What I can't find but you guys are sure to know, is where would the nearest church have been, as maybe they would have held the funeral there? Thanks for suggestions so far.

Hurst Road was not in the ecclesall area but at bottom off Clarence St near to the junction with Ecclesall road and was probaly demolish when the moor was blocked by new building,it was a very small road between YoungStreet(still there)and Clarence Street,i also looked for the burial off Harry Mellor in the graveyard records off St Johns Chapeltown a few mellors but no Harry or henrys.

• 1 year later...
Hi. Genealogy researcher here, seeking any news of this man, born 1906, died 1962, who appears to have been a production control clerk at Newton Chambers. Related to the Naylor family. Can anyone help with any relatives of either? Peter Athorn Naylor and wife Mary were both killed in a plane crash in France in 1963, childless, and the beneficiary of Peter's estate was Harry. It's a very long story as to why, but the end result is - where are the Naylors buried? They had no children, but Harry was a cousin - maybe his descendants can help. Harry was married to a Clara.

Strangely, 40 British people died in that crash but news of it didn't seem to reach your city.

Unless you know better.

The bodies were all flown back and Sheffield was Peter's home city.

Grateful for any leads.

If you are still looking for the grave of Peter Athorn Naylor and his wife Mary they are buried in City rd cemetery Sheffield as you enter the main gates turn left and follow the road alway round and just before you come to a compound you will see their grave right beside the last tree on your right hand side.

Edited by Markstevo