Parent & Child parking spaces

Deary me ! What on earth did we do before the days of parent and child parking spaces ? The lives of parents is so much easier these days.

I had 3 children under 4 and managed just fine in an average sized 3 door car and an average sized parking space.

Giving the excuse that children shouldn't be made to walk across a car park is ridiculous. What do you do when you are crossing a road or walking on the pavement ?

Deary me ! What on earth did we do before the days of parent and child parking spaces ? The lives of parents is so much easier these days.

I had 3 children under 4 and managed just fine in an average sized 3 door car and an average sized parking space.

Giving the excuse that children shouldn't be made to walk across a car park is ridiculous. What do you do when you are crossing a road or walking on the pavement ?

Been there, done that!

No problem at all with my children.

The disabled bay use by able bodied folks was annoying when taking my disabled wife shopping though. Had many an altercation.

My gripe now is I want parking facilities for my motorcaravan.

It takes up one and a half parking spaces in length, plus a tad wider than a normal space.

Why, in my later years, can I not have a designated space by the door?

Yes, I can and do park in the mostly unused part of the car park well away from the entrance.

That may become difficult as I get older.

Also, can I have a grass verge around the perimeter of the car park.

My dog often needs to relieve herself on such visits. It would be most helpful and save me the time involved finding somewhere suitable stop on the way home. :)

Its a choice made.

no reason for special parking privileges

I would like to see you try and attempt to remove a baby/car seat from a car in a normal parking space, without damaging the car parked immediately next to you.

There clearly is a reason for special parking privileges, hence why the supermarkets have created them :)

I would like to see you try and attempt to remove a baby/car seat from a car in a normal parking space, without damaging the car parked immediately next to you.

There clearly is a reason for special parking privileges, hence why the supermarkets have created them :)

I do the first thing almost daily,its not an issue.In fact life as a grandparent with small children in tow is a breeze compared to 20 odd years ago as a parent.

Easier parking ,wider spaces,food warming provision,free nappies,proper accessible child seats and all in one travel systems.

There's only one reason a supermarket/shopping centre provides parent spaces and that to attract parents to spend.

Now if we were talking a silvercross pram with a carrycot strapped along the backseat i'd happily agree with you. I know women with hand bags as big as some child seats.

IMO if they feel the need to place them then they should be in a position of safety alongside border footpaths etc. Not just whacked in front of a stores doors ala Aldi @ Killamarsh, thats just to draw parents in.

There's a footpath that runs around most of Crystal Peaks car parks, place the spaces alongside that, i bet the most popular ones are the ones closest to the door,not the ones offering the privelige of safe parking.

I head for the safest spot for my circumstances at the time and that often involves finding the crossings and walkways not the closest or even the privelige spots.

I can't ignore when it's aimed at all new mums. He needed correcting.

---------- Post added 01-02-2016 at 20:40 ----------

See what you've done now Eric lol

You're the one who needs correcting, in the friendliest possible way, because I didn't mean to offend anyone, so sorry if I did. :)

Exercise is exactly what new mummies need and the NHS gives you specific postnatal exercise advice which amazingly includes walking as often as possible. Those walks with baby in the fresh air they tell you to take are for you and your pelvic floor, not for baby. ;)

Mother and child spaces are doing new mummies a great disservice by encouraging you to park as close to the door as possible so that you visit that particular store and spend your money. They don't really care about you, they care about your money and some people are lazy enough to fall for it at the expense of your health and pelvic floor.

The stores know that people are basically fat and lazy so they take advantage of that by encouraging you to be fat and lazy by marking out mother and baby spaces by the front door to attract you at just the time that you should be making a special effort.

Edited by Eric Arthur

It's a parking space, not necessarily a child seat loading bay.

In many cases (depending on layout), if supermarkets placed the wider (and possibly longer) bays around the far reaches of the car park, around the perimeter, with pavement access to the shop, then parents could transport their kids safely to and from the shop, and there wouldn't be any conflict with people just wanting a parking spot close to the shop entrance. Also, these wider bays could be for anyone who wanted a wider bay for whatever reason (eg wider vehicle, precious vehicle that they didn't want to risk getting a door dint, child seats, carrying difficult to install loads or whatever).

The disabled bays would still be directly outside the door.

I'm a granny, and not a young one! When I was looking after my youngest grandchild, I found it difficult, in a two door car to get her out of her car seat without opening the car door wide. I think spaces round the perimeter as suggested by willman would be a good idea. I don't care about having to walk a bit further, but the extra space was a godsend. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Parent and child spaces could be anywhere in a car park, unlike those for disabled people that need to be close to the entrance. I wouldn't dream of ever parking unnecessarily in either, and I don't understand the mindset of people who fit neither category yet think it's ok to take up the spaces.

I wouldn't mind walking the little bit further, just as long as I have enough space to get 2 young children into the back of the car safely. It's very rare that I use the closest car space I can find as even if there is one closer, I know what to expect when the children are taken out of the trolley. I do find it uncomfortable sometimes because we are a bit further away and I am worried about a car flying around the corner, or one of the little ones jumping in front of a car. I have to put them in the car first.

---------- Post added 02-02-2016 at 08:49 ----------

I'm a granny, and not a young one! When I was looking after my youngest grandchild, I found it difficult, in a two door car to get her out of her car seat without opening the car door wide. I think spaces round the perimeter as suggested by willman would be a good idea. I don't care about having to walk a bit further, but the extra space was a godsend. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Parent and child spaces could be anywhere in a car park, unlike those for disabled people that need to be close to the entrance. I wouldn't dream of ever parking unnecessarily in either, and I don't understand the mindset of people who fit neither category yet think it's ok to take up the spaces.

I totally agree with you, they could be anywhere in the car park, as long as they have space to get children out, and it's not a busy park of the car park

---------- Post added 02-02-2016 at 08:52 ----------

You're the one who needs correcting, in the friendliest possible way, because I didn't mean to offend anyone, so sorry if I did. :)

Exercise is exactly what new mummies need and the NHS gives you specific postnatal exercise advice which amazingly includes walking as often as possible. Those walks with baby in the fresh air they tell you to take are for you and your pelvic floor, not for baby. ;)

Mother and child spaces are doing new mummies a great disservice by encouraging you to park as close to the door as possible so that you visit that particular store and spend your money. They don't really care about you, they care about your money and some people are lazy enough to fall for it at the expense of your health and pelvic floor.

The stores know that people are basically fat and lazy so they take advantage of that by encouraging you to be fat and lazy by marking out mother and baby spaces by the front door to attract you at just the time that you should be making a special effort.

What about for the mummies that struggle to walk after a baby? (Most do in the first few weeks). They do enough walking around a whole supermarket. The parking space should be an exception considering we/they have the privilege of being able to use one.

I did have use of an electric vehicle last year and actually found it quite acceptable. However on trips to the supermarket (usually Morrison's at Norton) I never once found that I was able to access the recharging points.

Unfortunately they put them in a convenient spot close to the store where they were snapped up by Tom Dick and Harry. Endless complaints to Morrisons failed to change the situation.

If only they had stuck them in an inconvenient place where they wouldn't be so attractive to fossil fuel drivers the problem would go away. Perhaps the same could be said for the mother and child places. My kids are quite capable of walking across the car park if I can get them out of the shopping trolley. Do they really need to be in poll position?

Pregnancy is not an illness, neither is being a parent.

i dont know why these spaces exist at all.

Whaaaaat!!!

What is this comment?? :loopy:

What has someone being pregnant and not ill got to do with parent and child parking space?

Talk about verbal diarrhea

---------- Post added 02-02-2016 at 10:26 ----------

Its a choice made.

no reason for special parking privileges

Again! WTF :huh: