Parent & Child parking spaces

Can they?

If you live in say, Halton Gill, how far is the supermarket, and can you make that walk there and back with a weeks shopping?

Yes they can, you see there are these large metal things called buses and some even stop in the carparks of major supermarkets. You could always use one of these if you are so outraged that there is an extra 6 inches of room provided for a person shopping with their new born baby.

---------- Post added 02-02-2016 at 13:19 ----------

Is that true ?

I cant find anything on the NCP website (unless I missed it)

I would doubt it if it's not published on the NCP website. The Blue badge regulations state:

Off-street car park operators should provide parking spaces for disabled people. However, it is up to the car park owner to decide whether badge holders can park free of charge.

Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/443225/blue-badge-rights-responsibilities.PDF

Edited by Berberis

No idea don't live there. But I've walked to the shops and back with bags of shopping.

I think your missing the point cyclone. Most of the time a car is a luxury. Society accommodates that luxury so why don't we accommodate parents who wish to use that luxury. Seems odd to me if supermarkets accommodate drivers by providing parking spaces then why not accommodate drivers with children?

For my part the best solution would be to put a row of wide bays at the far edge of the car park for the use of folk who think the regular bays are too narrow. So folk with vans, campers, Yanktanks, people carriers, and Range Rovers could use them as well as folk with kids or folk pretending to have kids.

For my part the best solution would be to put a row of wide bays at the far edge of the car park for the use of folk who think the regular bays are too narrow. So folk with vans, campers, Yanktanks, people carriers, and Range Rovers could use them as well as folk with kids or folk pretending to have kids.

The issue is, parking spaces are regulated by the government. Its not the supermarket who are putting in mean sized spaces on purpose.

I think the best option would be to have the spaces gradually increase in size the further away from the shop they are. That way, vans etc can park way off and if you feel you need extra space for any other reason, you can just keep driving down the line of spaces.

I would doubt it if it's not published on the NCP website. The Blue badge regulations state:

Blue Badge holders parking locations

Disabled parking bays - subject to any time limit indicated.

On-street spaces - free of charge and without time limit in Pay & Display bays.

Car parks - free of charge and without time limit.

Free limited waiting bays - without time limit.

Park for a maximum of 3 hours on single or double yellow lines where:

there are no loading/unloading restrictions that apply, providing you don’t cause an obstruction to other road users or pedestrians.

Park for a maximum of 3 hours in permit bays.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/parking/disabled-parking.html

I think thats just council car parks. There is no law that private car parks like NCP have to provide free disabled parking bays.

The link takes you to a list of car parks but does not state they are free.

Ill find the bit inread about ncp when I get home later...

The issue is, parking spaces are regulated by the government. Its not the supermarket who are putting in mean sized spaces on purpose.

I think the best option would be to have the spaces gradually increase in size the further away from the shop they are. That way, vans etc can park way off and if you feel you need extra space for any other reason, you can just keep driving down the line of spaces.

They should provide special wide bays for folk who want their car washed. It's not fair to have folk with buckets rubbing up againt your car whilst washing one belonging to someone else.

i am just saying that a parent with kids has no more rights to park closer to the store than anyone else.

Its not about being closer, its about extra space to open the door and put the child in. Put them far out, I'd have been ok with that, as long as they're wider

---------- Post added 02-02-2016 at 15:41 ----------

why there should be parent and child spaces is beyond me???? if you want more room to get the little darlings out park, at the other side of the carpark where there is plenty of room, it will do the little mites some good to walk? if you have a pram you are less likely to scratch another car also the further away you are? entilement culture again:roll:
my bold. And where would that be? Unless of course you mean 2am at a 24 hour store.

Both Morrisons and Tesco are full all day of commuters parking and tramming it into town to their offices.

---------- Post added 02-02-2016 at 15:55 ----------

Now stop expecting things purely because you have kids.

Maybe its not about parents expecting things, but shops inducing parents into the shop by providing such spaces. Its marketing.

Now if the same shop was offering a discount on baked beans, would you say "Now stop expecting things purely because you eat beans"?

---------- Post added 02-02-2016 at 15:56 ----------

I don't expect anything. These spaces are provided by the landowner to help people with young children use their facilities. It is people like you who have the problem purely because someone else is getting something you are not. Get over yourself.
yep, good summary

Having a car is a lifestyle choice for able bodied people. Having parent/child spaces is a convenience or in some eyes a luxury afforded to parents. Having a car is convenience/luxury for most. Why not just get rid of all non disabled parking spaces? Every able bodied person can walk to the shop, in today's world of increasing obesity it would be a benefit.

And if those who chose to have children chose to have a smaller car everyone would be happy :)

---------- Post added 02-02-2016 at 18:48 ----------

That is an excellent suggestion.