Mother jailed for taking toddler to Syria. POLL

Did the judge hand out the appropriate sentence?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Did the judge hand out the appropriate sentence?

• 6 years is too lenient.
    • 6 years is too harsh
    • 6 years is just right

A mother who took her toddler son to Syria has been jailed for six years for joining the so-called Islamic State.

Tareena Shakil, 26, is the first woman from the UK to return from the self-declared caliphate to be convicted of the offence.

6 years in prison too much, too lenient or just right?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35460697

Edited by Dr Afzal
Link to the news story

The sentence seems a little lenient to me . The mother travelled in October 2014 when the behaviour of ISIS had been well reported by the media . Hopefully others thinking about going to Syria will not go after hearing her story .

She should have got double that, Set an example of her to put others from going. Its the kids i feel sorry for always the ones to suffer when chit happens.

How would it put some off from going? the whole point of going is not to come back. She's probably sitting in a cell right now and thinking she's lucky to be alive. 2 yrs is nothing in comparison. She got it wrong and is now paying the price. Her sentence would be better served on the speech circuit denouncing Daesh and their moronic ideology, after all she's the perfect "example".

Lenient. She didn't just travel there. She was actively attempting to recruit others and posed many times with ISIS paraphenalia and even posed her young child wearing ISIS clothes and next to an AK47.

She seems dangerous to me because she cannot comprehend the seriousness of her activities.

How would it put some off from going? the whole point of going is not to come back. She's probably sitting in a cell right now and thinking she's lucky to be alive. 2 yrs is nothing in comparison. She got it wrong and is now paying the price. Her sentence would be better served on the speech circuit denouncing Daesh and their moronic ideology, after all she's the perfect "example".

Good post.

Remember, she will get out in half that.

Only if she shows repentance and behaves in prison.

She should never be allowed to see her son again in my opinion. What she did was despicable and she had the gall to lie about it again and again.

As an abusive parent who's doing a decent prison sentence, I'd take that as a given that she's lost her child forever. Let's hold that the little boy is able to leave this terrible experience behind him.