Sofa from scs falling to pieces

I bought a sofa and 2 chairs from SCS just over 2 years ago and already it is falling to pieces. I also took out a certificate of insurance but when I tried to put in a claim I was told it was due to wear and tear. Living on my own I was amazed when they said the insurance does not cover my claim.

The man who was sent to look at my furniture was definitely on the side of the insurance company.

The extended warranty is worth nothing, when I purchased my furniture from SCS at Gateshead Metro Centre the sales man said it covers everything. Your do not get to see the small writing on your certificate until your furniture is delivered. I will put this down to a costly experience.

I bought a sofa and 2 chairs from SCS just over 2 years ago and already it is falling to pieces. <...>I was told it was due to wear and tear.
2 years ownership and single use, and it's put down to wear and tear? What have you been doing with it, banger racing?

Sounds more like goods of unsatisfactory quality to me.

SOGA: the Sale of Goods Act 1979 states that sellers must organise a repair or a replacement in a reasonable time, and if they fail to do so you can ask for a reduction in price or your money back. In England, Wales and Northern Ireland you have six years to return a faulty item, in Scotland you have five years.

These statutory periods exceed significantly your 2 year period, and the expected useful life of a settee (which, although I am no authority in the matter of settees, I would expect to be a minimum of 5 to 7 years even with daily use by a family).

I will put this down to a costly experience.
For what it's likely cost (relative to a new set of settee and chairs), why don't you try your hand at getting a second professional opinion (time-served experienced salesman will do) and the (presumed small claims-) court? You may find SCS knocking on the door with a 'solution' faster than you can say "you've been served" ;)

As it happens, I'm waiting for the IKEA assessor to visit, and then to see how they are going to handle our own complaint (new settee less than 2 years ago, moderate family use since that time, cover material fraying and thinning in only one single seating area - looks clearly like defective cover material to me).

Your sort of right L00b but after the first 6 months the onus is on the consumer to prove that the fault is inherent. If they cannot then SCS don't have to do anything. Getting a professional opinion on the fault is the best course of action, get it in writing so you can present this to SCS.

I have though about going to CAB, but put it off. Now after reading every ones posts I am going to see if I can speak to an advisor at the CAB.

So thank you everyone for your support.

---------- Post added 03-02-2016 at 20:21 ----------

tzijlstra is right it is time government looked at these companies for

miss -selling extended warranties. This warranty was more suited for a family not a single woman. It did not cover the electrical recliner chair which is why I took the warranty out in the first place, but the sales man was not being honest when he sold me the warranty.

Then you cna sue them over the warranty as well. If you kick up a big enough fuss and compose a decent letter showing them you have good advice on what your rights are, then they will not be interested in the hassle

Better than CAB for this imo is taking advantage of the law clinic run by students up at the university. CABs tend not have very many lawyers if any. They love consumer law, so it will be just like an essay qyestion. You should get all your corrspndence and documents plus you need a copy of the warranty, a timeline of events and take photos so they cna see the problem.

Edited by 999tigger

I had the same trouble with SCS, you may find my thread on here from a few years back somewhere..

Basically i went and stood outside their shop and told every customer entering what a shoddy company it was, the police were called to remove me from outside of their premises, but because i was breaking no law, there was nothing they could do, it took about three hours before they gave in and sorted my problem...

You just have to be pro active :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: