Real Apprenticeships?

My son has just got a apprentaship he was 17 and earning £20 per day but now at 18 has had a increase to £220 per week.

However he brings home 190 the rest is taken for tax NI

How much do you pay in tax and NI now days please anyone Xx

He should be bringing home more like £209.. he should be paying about a tenner in tax and NI on £220..assuming he has the box standard tax code..work it out on here..

http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

This is 2011/12 but gives you idea what value apprenticeships have.

Morrisons Become Largest Provider of Apprenticeships in the UK

One in 10 apprentices in England works at Morrisons

Because you need so much training to scan barcodes and face stock on shelves.

There are some real ones. But having apprentice that you'll want to offer permanent position is another thing.

Wrong attitude. Its not just about training on scanning and shelf stacking.

Its about building experience, dealing with rules and discipline interaction with customers and staff, dealing with problems that arise and also getting some young person into a routine of getting out of bed in a morning to go to work.

Doesn't matter necessarily if they end up with a job at the end of it. It all builds up their work experience and CV. I can guarantee that if I have two candidates in front of me, one who has done nothing since school and one who has been a trainee or Saturday worker for a year or two, its a no brainer which one I will pick.

Are you some kind of comedian or quoting some sort of BS Management book.

Wrong attitude. Its not just about training on scanning and shelf stacking.

Apprentices are supposed to learn trade.

Stacking shelves and facing cat food is hardly trade.

If you need half a year to learn that you should be institutionalized.

Its about building experience, dealing with rules and discipline interaction with customers and staff, dealing with problems that arise and also getting some young person into a routine of getting out of bed in a morning to go to work.

Don't they do that at school? Shouldn't they get that from home?

You know getting up early and sitting in classroom, homework, discipline?

Doesn't matter necessarily if they end up with a job at the end of it. It all builds up their work experience and CV. I can guarantee that if I have two candidates in front of me, one who has done nothing since school and one who has been a trainee or Saturday worker for a year or two, its a no brainer which one I will pick.

Fact is it gives you some edge. But it's not deciding factor. And still load of BS out of "Management for dummies".

There are some apprenticeships that are worth every penny.

Electricians, plumbers, civil and mechanical engineers etc.

Those jobs usually require knowledge of many interacting components, some skill and a bit of brain. Knowledge is gained both with experience and learning.

Electricians for example have to be up to date with all regulations. Reading things and such.

Only skill that Morrisons apprentice needs is to find store every morning.

If you claim that they need special program to do that your opinion on British population is even lower then mine.

What a disgusting pig headed attitude you have.

Apprentices cover a huge range of industries and skills. Its not just about shelf stacking.

Retail workers of ANY level need to know a range of skills. There is dealing with customers, dealing with other staff, discipline, store procedures, health and safety, security, handling products, dealing with cash, dealing with stock control. Things not taught in school. Many kids fresh from school don't have even suitable professional communication skills let alone anything else.

There are apprentices in hotels, restaurants, kitchens, hospitals, offices, call centres, warehouses and care homes.

None of these people are learning what you deem a "trade" but it does not make their work and more importantly the skills/experience they are building any less important.

The way you are speaking you are making it sound like a trained ape could do it.

Get over yourself.

I have not learnt anything from a management handbook. I have been an apprentice earning a damn sight less than what the apprentice wage now is - nor did I have the minimum wage afterwards. I worked through all levels in my career to the point where I am now management myself.

I still take on apprentices now. I know what skills they build up and I see for myself how that experience helps them move on to better things.

Those that work hard and show what they can learn move on. Those that have the "..wont get out of bed for that.." attitude don't.

Edited by ECCOnoob

What do you mean?

He brings home on hundred and ninety pounds

Sorry herbal, I was being sarcastic at the thread. It perhaps didn't come across that way. I think bringing home £190 a week in today's money, for an 18 yo is pretty good! It sounds like he's a good worker :)

Apprentices are supposed to learn trade.

Stacking shelves and facing cat food is hardly trade.

If you need half a year to learn that you should be institutionalized.

I've seen new people come to work in places where I've worked, for over 20 years. You obviously haven't to write that post.

If you think these people should be institutionalised, then you are going to need a lot of institutions.

In my experience, then main problem with people isn't the 'stacking of shelves' etc. but speaking to people/customers and knowing how to do it well.

What a disgusting pig headed attitude you have.

Apprentices cover a huge range of industries and skills. Its not just about shelf stacking.

Retail workers of ANY level need to know a range of skills. There is dealing with customers, dealing with other staff, discipline, store procedures, health and safety, security, handling products, dealing with cash, dealing with stock control. Things not taught in school. Many kids fresh from school don't have even suitable professional communication skills let alone anything else.

There are apprentices in hotels, restaurants, kitchens, hospitals, offices, call centres, warehouses and care homes.

None of these people are learning what you deem a "trade" but it does not make their work and more importantly the skills/experience they are building any less important.

The way you are speaking you are making it sound like a trained ape could do it.

Get over yourself.

I have not learnt anything from a management handbook. I have been an apprentice earning a damn sight less than what the apprentice wage now is - nor did I have the minimum wage afterwards. I worked through all levels in my career to the point where I am now management myself.

I still take on apprentices now. I know what skills they build up and I see for myself how that experience helps them move on to better things.

Those that work hard and show what they can learn move on. Those that have the "..wont get out of bed for that.." attitude don't.

But what about the people who already have the skills and find themselves being undercut by apprentices on £3.50 an hour. They can't compete with cheap labour. What are they supposed to do?

In the old days people put up with rubbish wages when they were apprentices because they recognised they were gaining a valuable skill. It was a right of passage because they knew they would be on good money when they qualified.

How many apprenticeships is a person allowed to go on? Genuine question. If they end up with a rubbish one does that bar them from doing a real one later? Or can they just continue doing one apprentice ship after another?

And nobody has said who actually pays for them yet.

But what about the people who already have the skills and find themselves being undercut by apprentices on £3.50 an hour. They can't compete with cheap labour. What are they supposed to do?

In the old days people put up with rubbish wages when they were apprentices because they recognised they were gaining a valuable skill. It was a right of passage because they knew they would be on good money when they qualified.

How many apprenticeships is a person allowed to go on? Genuine question. If they end up with a rubbish one does that bar them from doing a real one later? Or can they just continue doing one apprentice ship after another?

And nobody has said who actually pays for them yet.

http://www.tpmnow.co.uk/become-an-apprentice/funding-who-pays-for-my-apprenticeship/

First result of Google.

Thankyou. Not all that clear though, lots of 'may sometimes be able to...'

However it is clear that the employer can claim £1,500 for every apprenticeship it offers, and can claim it 10 times.It can also claim for the training course element. (I'd like to see what that is in a pub.) Not a bad little earner, especially for a pub.

Who is TPM anyway? Who put them in charge? Who are the directors? Is it another A4e scandal in waiting?

My apprenticeship lasted 5 years.......with night school and day release lasting the whole 5 years.The pay was a lot less than friends in non apprenticeship jobs,but I would not have swapped it.

How long do a lot of these so called modern apprenticeships last? has the word got a little dummed down?