Real Apprenticeships?

It's simple really the old YTS and YOPS schemes have been rebranded as Apprenticeships nothing whatsoever to do with a traditional Apprenticeship .

Exactly.

Still it will help Cameron massage the employment figures and make him look good. Full employment my foot.

Exactly.

Still it will help Cameron massage the employment figures and make him look good. Full employment my foot.

Which is a real shame for the employers who DO have good apprenticeship schemes that meet both the letter and spirit of the system.

Which is a real shame for the employers who DO have good apprenticeship schemes that meet both the letter and spirit of the system.

I daresay some apprenticeships are worthy of the name and are extremely valuable to young people who don't want to go to university but still want a worthwhile career ,but I am afraid a lot of them are typical of the way the young people of today have been shafted by this and previous governments.

I daresay some apprenticeships are worthy of the name and are extremely valuable to young people who don't want to go to university but still want a worthwhile career ,but I am afraid a lot of them are typical of the way the young people of today have been shafted by this and previous governments.

According to the TPM website, most of the apprenticeships they offer are in Retail and Childcare.

I concede sir. You are obviously absolutely right.

I always thought that

dealing with customers, dealing with other staff, discipline

are things that you learn at home. They are called discipline and social interactions and you have to know a bit about it to even get a job. Propriety is another thing you learn at home. Apparently as seen here

What a disgusting pig headed attitude you have.

Where you have been since the 1980s.

Apprentices cover a huge range of industries and skills. Its not just about shelf stacking you moron.

not by all of us.

And if you are indeed

management myself

with that sort of attitude there is apparent lack of those basic skills.

Those must be even more scarce at lower levels in whatever organisation you manage.

I also thought that reading is taught at school. I though that together with understanding what is written there is no need for lengthy training in

store procedures, health and safety, security

You seem to show lack of ability to understand written word yourself as I have mentioned before I am not against apprenticeships, just using apprentices as cheap labour and making silly excuses.

Many kids fresh from school don't have even basic writing skills let alone anything else.

I do not know what type of school have you attended sir but I would go back there and demand compensation.

There are apprentices in hotels, restaurants, kitchens, hospitals, offices, call centres, warehouses and care homes.

None of these people are learning what you deem a "trade" but it does not make their work and more importantly the skills/experience they are building any less important.

Being a chef or nurse is a well estblished trade. Being office doorstop or warehouse picker is not.

So what you have presented here is a wide mixture of possible careers, some of which require only knowledge of basic english and numeracy.

If you would like some guidance just ask your nearest temp work agency what sort of jobs they offer to polish migrants with no experience. Those jobs are ones that require one day training, not apprenticeship.

They way you are speaking you are making it sound like a trained ape could do it.

In fact some jobs could be handled by a dog if it would have opposable thumbs. You can even teach dog not to bark at others, on contrary to some managers.

I still take on apprentices now. I know what skills they build up and I see for myself how that experience helps them move on to better things.

I trained a few myself , but I never had to teach them such basic skills.

Mind you I never met a single one that could not write or understand written word.

I am all for apprenticeships, and training, especially in areas where there are skill shortages, but more and more I hear of apprenticeships that really are nothing of the kind and unnecessary.

For example a friend of mine went for a bar job in a pub. He's had plenty of experience, is personable and friendly and knew they had a vacancy there. He was surprised to hear they wanted an apprentice.

He decided to ask a few questions. How long would the apprentice ship last? What sort of skills would be taught? What was the criteria for passing? Was it accredited? Would there be a job at the end of it? They didn't have much idea for any of them and obviously wanted him to leave.

It came as no surprise to find out the pay was £3.70 an hour.

So a barman on the cheap, when there are plenty of 'qualified' people who could do the job. Who pays this? Is it the good old taxpayer again? I wouldn't have thought this country needed any more unemployed barmen.

It's an excuse to take on cheap labour. My old firm did it.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 13:55 ----------

What a disgusting pig headed attitude you have.

Apprentices cover a huge range of industries and skills. Its not just about shelf stacking.

Retail workers of ANY level need to know a range of skills. There is dealing with customers, dealing with other staff, discipline, store procedures, health and safety, security, handling products, dealing with cash, dealing with stock control. Things not taught in school. Many kids fresh from school don't have even suitable professional communication skills let alone anything else.

There are apprentices in hotels, restaurants, kitchens, hospitals, offices, call centres, warehouses and care homes.

None of these people are learning what you deem a "trade" but it does not make their work and more importantly the skills/experience they are building any less important.

The way you are speaking you are making it sound like a trained ape could do it.

Get over yourself.

I have not learnt anything from a management handbook. I have been an apprentice earning a damn sight less than what the apprentice wage now is - nor did I have the minimum wage afterwards. I worked through all levels in my career to the point where I am now management myself.

I still take on apprentices now. I know what skills they build up and I see for myself how that experience helps them move on to better things.

Those that work hard and show what they can learn move on. Those that have the "..wont get out of bed for that.." attitude don't.

The point is apprentices are supposed to learn skills and a trade. What's happened is the term apprentice has been widened to include everything which translates to cheap labour.

I genuinely think many firms and small businesses should be excluded from taking on apprentices unless they can demonstrate clearly what they plan to do.