Running in 'Hilly Sheffield'

Dales

Hi all,

I regularly run in both Sheffield and Chesterfield and have done for a number of years.

I am interested in other peoples routes. In particular I can't run flat routes, I get really bored! Steep up and down hills are good by me. Maybe that's because I grew up in Sheffield!

I'm running just short of 7 miles per run at the moment and i'm trying to build up to a half marathon.

Is there anyone else on here also training for the half marathon?

Keep it up, you will get there.

Training for Retford Half here in March but things not been going to well with the training atm. Had 10 days off with an awful cold which i'm just starting back into the training.

Which end of the Sheffield / Chesterfield border ?

If you want a great hill run ,about 5 miles straight up,then 5 down ;)

Basically start at Beauchief traffic lights then enter Ecclesall woods up to Ecclesall Rd south.

Up Whirlow/Limb Valley to Ringinglow

Cross road then up steep bit of Roman rd turn right then up to moorland summit trig point

You will need a map if not familiar with area.

Its great training for Sheff half as it partly follows similar route but off road.

Easily accesed on 97/8 from city.

I run it most weeks welcome to come along anytime.

Edited by Fudbeer

My favourite is

1. Woodseats then up Cobnar Road,

2. down through Graves Park, through Chancet Wood, take the high route above Beauchief Golf course,

3. up to Bradway then double back to Ladies Spring Wood

4. and through Ladies Spring and down to Dore Station,

5. up through Ecclesall Woods

6. then Limb Valley

7. into Lady Cannings up to the Ox Stones.

8. Then back again.

The max run is 19 miles with 2500ft of climb but the run can be shortened at any point still giving lots of hills, e.g. steps 1-5 and back is 14 miles with 1700ft climb, steps 1-4 and back is 10 miles with 1400ft climb,

:):):):):)

If you want a great hill run ,about 5 miles straight up,then 5 down ;)

Basically start at Beauchief traffic lights then enter Ecclesall woods up to Ecclesall Rd south.

Up Whirlow/Limb Valley to Ringinglow

Cross road then up steep bit of Roman rd turn right then up to moorland summit trig point

You will need a map if not familiar with area.

Its great training for Sheff half as it partly follows similar route but off road.

Easily accesed on 97/8 from city.

I run it most weeks welcome to come along anytime.

Great run Fudbeer - mirrors my favourite run very closely. Sometimes (if the missus allows me the time for a longer run) I keep going up to Burbage/ Higger Tor and then back - about 20 mile round trip. Lovely