Like theatre? Could you accompany a disabled theatregoer?

Interesting reading, Do you have this in writing from them? As a disability rights activist and advocate of over a decade's erxperience in the field I'd reccommend that you phone the Equality and Human Rights Commission on 0845 604 6610 for legal advice as if they're insisting you cannot attend alone I'm certain they're in breach of the Disability Discrimination Act.

Hi there,

I havent been to a sheffield theatre before but have taken my young daughter to see lion king last yr in london which she loved. Soo...I was thinking this would be good way to see a production again at theatre and take my daughter(5) and we wouldnt mind accompanying you if you were wanting to go to see any shows suitable for 5 yr old girl too:).

Hello there, I would be really interested to know how you get on with challenging the theatres on their equal ops stand. In the meantime, you need to go to the theatre, and I would like to throw my name into the hat too - Its a lovely idea, to accompany you and a winner for all with the discount. I guess there may be things I really wouldn't want to see, or days when I may not be available, but I guess that's the same for everyone, so if you are compiling a list of people to cover all your options, then I am happy for you to contact me at any time. Cheers and good luck.

Hi, and thanks for the responses, cloudjuice, Jared, daisyhouse, and JuJu.

Things are slightly improved in the six years since I originally posted my request for a companion to attend the theatre with me.

The Sheffield Theatres have relaxed their "hard-line", somewhat, and now, although they "prefer" me to be accompanied, I have managed to get to see a couple of shows alone.

Yes if you (and the others who responded to the request) wish, we can look at making arrangements for a "rota" (for want of a better description) of shows and potential attendees, and do a bit of a "marry-up" of which shows, when, and who.

I'm happy to have someone to come with me as an "accompanier" and let them benefit from a discount on the price of the ticket.

okay, there are some productions coming up that look interesting:-

Whistle Down The Wind (1st to 6th feb 09 - this could be a bit short notice by now)

I've seen this musical, a while ago, and it was very good.

Rocky Horror Picture Show (22nd -27th March- bit better Notice)

Magic of Motown (only one date for this show:- Saturday, 03 April at 1600 or 1930hrs)

the new accessibility info is here

http://www.sheffieldtheatres.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.view&CategoryID=10&ContentID=7

okay, there are some productions coming up that look interesting:-

Whistle Down The Wind (1st to 6th feb 09 - this could be a bit short notice by now)

I've seen this musical, a while ago, and it was very good.

Rocky Horror Picture Show (22nd -27th March- bit better Notice)

Magic of Motown (only one date for this show:- Saturday, 03 April at 1600 or 1930hrs)

the new accessibility info is here

http://www.sheffieldtheatres.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.view&CategoryID=10&ContentID=7

Rocky Horror eh PT...I'll come with you - we could go suitably attired for such a production....though I would have to wonder if stockings and suspenders would go with your hijab and my little orange cross :D

Archived