Beer festivals in and near Sheffield February-June 2016

Andy C

When is the real ale & cider festival at magna ? Can't see it on here, went before and always wanted to go back, one of best beer festivals I've been too, thanks in advance.

It took place in June last year, not sure if it is happening this year. Their website is here: http://www.magnarealale.co.uk/

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 09:45 ----------

A couple of beer festivals announced at the British Oak in Mosborough

Festive-Ale to take place May day bank holiday weekend (29th April to 2nd May) and Oakstock 2nd to 3rd July.

The Festive-Ale will have 30 real ales and 30 craft keg beers along with pizza and hog roast.

Oakstock will have an all day programme of live music along with food and drink.

Buses 50, 50a, 53, 71 and 71a go direct there from Sheffield Interchange.

https://www.facebook.com/britishoakalehousesheffield/?ref=ts&fref=ts

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 10:01 ----------

And another beer festival for the Mayday bank holiday weekend...

The University of Sheffield Student Union and Real Ale & Cider Society present their annual beer & cider festival in the Raynor Lounge and Union Gardens.

More than 100 Real Ales, Lagers, Craft Beers, Pilsners, Fruit Beers, Ciders and a whole lot of great food! (while stocks last)…the University of Sheffield Students’ Union and Real Ale Society Beer and Cider Festival is back!

Friday

As well as more than 100 Real Ales, Lagers, Craft Beers, Pilsners, Fruit Beers and Ciders, this year’s festival will see the return of the popular German themed bar, serving Steins of Pilsner, Bratwurst and Lederhosen, with Friday designated German day.

Saturday

Brand new for 2016 – Craft Beer, Bourbon and BBQ! Who doesn’t love Craft Beer and American themed food? Great beers, burgers, pulled pork and a load of BBQ sauce to mop it up!

Sunday

As is tradition, Sunday is Pig and Cider Day, with a free range hog roast served by Roneys of Sheffield.

There will also be a ‘pop-up’ Gin bar serving craft Gins with complementing tonics and garnishes on Friday and Saturday of this year’s festival (while stocks last).

There will be live music all weekend at this year’s festival!

For further information email beerfest@sheffield.ac.uk

FRIDAY 29TH APRIL - THE LAUNCH DAY!!!

* Beer Festival launches at 2pm

* Pick up your tokens from the Stall in the Raynor

* German themed Stein Bar

* Bratwursts

* Lederhosen

* Cider Tent in the garden

* Pop up Gin Bar

* Real Ales available from the Raynor Lounge

* Food also available until 11pm

* Real Ale Bar & Cider Tent close at 12am, Bar One carries on until 1am

SATURDAY 30TH APRIL

* Open from 2pm

* Cider, Real Ales & Lager available all day

* Craft Beer and Bourbon Bar

* BBQ Food

* Token stall available

* Food also available from the Interval & Bar One

* Plus live football on the big screens in Bar One

SUNDAY 1st MAY - CIDER DAY & HOG ROAST!

* A whole day dedicated to EXTRA CIDER! It's Sunday Cider Day!

* Extra Cider Tent in the garden

* Extra range & variety of ciders

* A whole extra day of drinks, music & food!

* Hog Roast from the legendary Roney's butchers (Sharrowvale Rd) at lunchtime with great offers!

* Token stall available

* There may even be some ales & lagers left! If you've not drunk us dry by then!

* Plus live football on the big screens in Bar One

**FREE ENTRY ALL WEEKEND**

Edited by Andy C

When is the real ale & cider festival at magna ? Can't see it on here, went before and always wanted to go back, one of best beer festivals I've been too, thanks in advance.

Mate of mine who organises the Barnsley festivals wrote to them asking if they could borrow some equipment and took the opportunity to enquire if and when Magna was going ahead. Response was that it was 'very unlikely' to happen this year, but there may be a 'Phoenix from the Ashes' one next year.

Mate of mine who organises the Barnsley festivals wrote to them asking if they could borrow some equipment and took the opportunity to enquire if and when Magna was going ahead. Response was that it was 'very unlikely' to happen this year, but there may be a 'Phoenix from the Ashes' one next year.

Any indication as to what the issues are? Funding? Schedule clashes?

Any indication as to what the issues are? Funding? Schedule clashes?

Apparently they didn't say. Andy may know more about the issues Rotherham CAMRA are facing this year which seems to mean they aren't having any festival at all. I know they fell out with New York Stadium over repeatedly having the festival dates moved when it was selected to host some England under 18 matches. But with Magna I suspect the problem lies with the centre itself. Didn't I hear that once again it was threatening closure unless it got another bailout from the council? But that said you'd think they would be desperate to host, given the potential money the festival brings in. So maybe it's a combination of things.

Edited by DnAuK

Apparently they didn't say. Andy may know more about the issues Rotherham CAMRA are facing this year which seems to mean they aren't having any festival at all. I know they fell out with New York Stadium over repeatedly having the festival dates moved when it was selected to host some England under 18 matches. But with Magna I suspect the problem lies with the centre itself. Didn't I hear that once again it was threatening closure unless it got another bailout from the council? But that said you'd think they would be desperate to host, given the potential money the festival brings in. So maybe it's a combination of things.

Magna isn't a CAMRA festival, it is organised by a charity fund raising committee (albeit it one where most of the organisers are CAMRA members).

I'm afraid I have little knowledge of what has happened behind the scenes, however I did get the impression the organisers weren't happy about some things last year.

SIBA BeerX

Wed 16 – Sat 19 Mar

SIBA is back at Ice Sheffield for their 2016 conference and festival of beer, the latter being a public event. It is back to being a 4 day event with a rotating range of beers that have won SIBA awards, entertainment and street food. The festival is open from 6pm Wednesday and Thursday, 2pm Friday and midday Saturday. Entry tickets are £8 (£6 concessions – Forces/CAMRA/Student) in advance, more on the door. http://www.beerx.org

Nice big beer list

http://www.beerx.org/festivalofbeer/beer-list.asp

Yes although note that not all beers are available at the same time - they have about 30 pumps with the beers regularly changing.

They have considerably more than 30... Last year there were more than twice that, and this year they have dedicated brewery bars on top

You might want to check out the pic on the Cask Marque site from the last festival. The number of handpulls you can count well exceeds 30, and that isn't the whole bar - and doesn't take into account the keg taps too.

http://cask-marque.co.uk/cask-matters/excitement-builds-for-sibas-beerx/

Edited by DnAuK

They have considerably more than 30... Last year there were more than twice that, and this year they have dedicated brewery bars on top

You might want to check out the pic on the Cask Marque site from the last festival. The number of handpulls you can count well exceeds 30, and that isn't the whole bar - and doesn't take into account the keg taps too.

http://cask-marque.co.uk/cask-matters/excitement-builds-for-sibas-beerx/

It certainly isn't the full list though.....

It is still a good do though.

Oh and I appear to be behind the bar in that photo.