Beer festivals in and near Sheffield February-June 2016

Andy C

It certainly isn't the full list though.....

It is still a good do though.

Oh and I appear to be behind the bar in that photo.

Lol. Yes. You would have thought you'd noted that there were more than 30 taps then? ;c)

I've always enjoyed BeerX but then I've always gone on a Saturday after much of the Beer Week has passed - but this year I can't. The one thing I like is the blanket price per drink - so if you pick the right ones you can have a really good time. But you do have to be at the right place right time to get some of the beers you want.

Apparently they didn't say. Andy may know more about the issues Rotherham CAMRA are facing this year which seems to mean they aren't having any festival at all. I know they fell out with New York Stadium over repeatedly having the festival dates moved when it was selected to host some England under 18 matches. But with Magna I suspect the problem lies with the centre itself. Didn't I hear that once again it was threatening closure unless it got another bailout from the council? But that said you'd think they would be desperate to host, given the potential money the festival brings in. So maybe it's a combination of things.

Looks like there MAY be a Rotherham beer festival in October this year at Rotherham College

https://www.facebook.com/RotherhamCAMRA/?fref=ts

They have considerably more than 30... Last year there were more than twice that, and this year they have dedicated brewery bars on top

You might want to check out the pic on the Cask Marque site from the last festival. The number of handpulls you can count well exceeds 30, and that isn't the whole bar - and doesn't take into account the keg taps too.

http://cask-marque.co.uk/cask-matters/excitement-builds-for-sibas-beerx/

Yes there was definitely more than 30 handpulls, this is a extract from their Facebook page:

from our legendary 30meter 64 handpull bar

That's one biiiig bar :)

Yes there was definitely more than 30 handpulls, this is a extract from their Facebook page:

from our legendary 30meter 64 handpull bar

That's one biiiig bar :)

Yes, Pete. Both you, me and Mr C knows that. Unfortunately Mr C can't help dissing anything that isn't his beloved CAMRA - even if it flies in the face of all evidence!

Only joking Andy... ;c)

Yes, Pete. Both you, me and Mr C knows that. Unfortunately Mr C can't help dissing anything that isn't his beloved CAMRA - even if it flies in the face of all evidence!

Only joking Andy... ;c)

Look, ignore the number 30, point was they don't have the full beer list on at the same time. They do advise of this on the website, keep it in mind and you won't be disappointed.

I'll be there Thursday, Friday and Saturday inbetween various beer week events and the day job!

Looks like there MAY be a Rotherham beer festival in October this year at Rotherham College

https://www.facebook.com/RotherhamCAMRA/?fref=ts

Ooh now that's interesting as I was forwarded tweet the other day from Rotherham CAMRA that specifically said there were no plans for a New York Stadium festival, or Magna this year - and didn't mention that. So that is interesting, thanks.

On a related note, if Rotherham College are prepared to host a festival, and Doncaster College has successfully done so for a few years now, I wonder why I can't get so much as a reply out of Barnsley College in attempts to move one of the festival's there into town? Don't suppose you mayt know of another route into there?

---------- Post added 11-03-2016 at 11:08 ----------

Look, ignore the number 30, point was they don't have the full beer list on at the same time. They do advise of this on the website, keep it in mind and you won't be disappointed.

I'll be there Thursday, Friday and Saturday inbetween various beer week events and the day job!

Considering I have been to SIBA since it started at Ponds Forge I am fully aware how it works and am never disappointed, thanks. It may not be the best festival in the country but it's certainly one worth going to - especially if you like your beer on handpull rather than gravity. And like I said, there are extra mini-bars this year as well, apparently! :)

Ooh now that's interesting as I was forwarded tweet the other day from Rotherham CAMRA that specifically said there were no plans for a New York Stadium festival, or Magna this year - and didn't mention that. So that is interesting, thanks.

On a related note, if Rotherham College are prepared to host a festival, and Doncaster College has successfully done so for a few years now, I wonder why I can't get so much as a reply out of Barnsley College in attempts to move one of the festival's there into town? Don't suppose you mayt know of another route into there?

Doncaster beer festival is no longer being held at the college incidentally.

Rotherham are in quite early stages of organisation and talks, their first planning meeting is next month. This will be a CAMRA festival, replacing the football ground one.

Thing with colleges is there can be a lot of internal politics in the organisation and it depends who is in charge - obviously an event promoting alcohol at an establishment there to educate 16-18 year olds sits uncomfortable with some people. We looked at Sheffield College as a festival venue and talks got quite advanced then one college director torpedoed it.

Doncaster beer festival is no longer being held at the college incidentally.

Rotherham are in quite early stages of organisation and talks, their first planning meeting is next month. This will be a CAMRA festival, replacing the football ground one.

Thing with colleges is there can be a lot of internal politics in the organisation and it depends who is in charge - obviously an event promoting alcohol at an establishment there to educate 16-18 year olds sits uncomfortable with some people. We looked at Sheffield College as a festival venue and talks got quite advanced then one college director torpedoed it.

Yeah I get that. And the associated concerns about safeguarding that goes with it. Given that a festival generally needs more than a week for set up and takedown, I'm surprised any college could host outside one of the main 2 week plus holiday periods. I often think approaching a Uni might be better.

Didn't know that about Doncaster festival either - do they have an alternative venue? And please don't say the racecourse...

Only joking Andy... ;c)

hehehe :) I was thinking the same anyway.

Considering I have been to SIBA since it started at Ponds Forge I am fully aware how it works and am never disappointed, thanks. It may not be the best festival in the country but it's certainly one worth going to - especially if you like your beer on handpull rather than gravity. And like I said, there are extra mini-bars this year as well, apparently!

From my 16 beer festivals I went to last year this was my no2 fav, (behind Rotherham one) I also prefer handpulls and it is very well setup, the addition of the rugby on Saturday is a added bonus for me :)

I have even booked days off work to recover for the next day :)

hehehe :) I was thinking the same anyway.

From my 16 beer festivals I went to last year this was my no2 fav, (behind Rotherham one) I also prefer handpulls and it is very well setup, the addition of the rugby on Saturday is a added bonus for me :)

I have even booked days off work to recover for the next day :)

Haha - lucky you! I have no such luxury! I have to work all next week and try and squeeze in a few Beer Week events, plus SIBA on the Friday, simply cos I'm jetting off to Barcelona at the weekend. I know...woe is me! I've only managed to find about 18 decent beer bars there as well... Will that be enough to last me all week I wonder...? ;c)

You doing the beer social thing next Wednesday night Pete?