Beer festivals in and near Sheffield February-June 2016

Andy C

I shall be at the BeerX that evening for 3 hours, I have plans to pop into Shakespeare after but may find them later on if they put where they are on Twiter.

Think the list Claire posted was:

6-7pm Red Deer

7-8pm Bath

8-9pm Anchorage

9-10pm Dev Cat

10-11pm Old House

11-12pm Brewdog

As it's a school night, and we have to get back to Barnsley, will probably only make it as far as Dev Cat / Old House

I might do the first couple if I can get out. Can`t see me shifting beyond the Bath tbh.

We won't do the Red Deer. I know people like it but I don't see the point. The beer there is available anywhere else in town usually. So I think that will be the time we get some grub after work. So will start in the Bath and go from there. TBH Anchorage and Dev Cat is our usual route after the Bath anyway so works for me.

We won't do the Red Deer. I know people like it but I don't see the point. The beer there is available anywhere else in town usually. So I think that will be the time we get some grub after work. So will start in the Bath and go from there. TBH Anchorage and Dev Cat is our usual route after the Bath anyway so works for me.

Yes the Red Deer seems to stock Stancill on 3 pumps, 1 pump of cider so leavers 4 left, and a couple are usually empty, its not as good as it used to be.

---------- Post added 14-03-2016 at 12:48 ----------

Think the list Claire posted was:

6-7pm Red Deer

7-8pm Bath

8-9pm Anchorage

9-10pm Dev Cat

10-11pm Old House

11-12pm Brewdog

As it's a school night, and we have to get back to Barnsley, will probably only make it as far as Dev Cat / Old House

I have no school night until next week :)

Not sure why Anchorage is on the list, terrible for ales, unless you want keg, I usually do The Hop ((BBQ place) as their ales seem to be much better and then head to Dev Cat.

Edited by SpiderPete

Yes the Red Deer seems to stock Stancill on 3 pumps, 1 pump of cider so leavers 4 left, and a couple are usually empty, its not as good as it used to be.

---------- Post added 14-03-2016 at 12:48 ----------

I have no school night until next week :)

Not sure why Anchorage is on the list, terrible for ales, unless you want keg, I usually do The Hop ((BBQ place) as their ales seem to be much better and then head to Dev Cat.

We definitely agree on the Red Deer :) I have massive trouble with Stancill. They really cannot brew beer. I'm sure they only manage to sell it because it's cheap.

Anchorage though we will have to disagree on. It's actually one of my favourite bars in town and I wish Sheffield had more like it. But then I am not one of those that refuses to try kegged beer simply because it's not 'real'. Some stuff they have on there is often very good.

I actually think the crawl is well thought out. Brewdog is on the list too. After all, this is 'Sheffield Beer Week' not 'Sheffield Real Ale Week'. It's about time some other people realised that too :)

Hope Valley Beer & Cider Festival

Thu 24 – Mon 28 Mar

The Easter edition of the beer festival held at the Old Hall Inn at Hope over most bank holiday weekends where tents appear outside the pub featuring a range of real ales and ciders, music and food. Regular buses run past the pub from Sheffield on routes 272/273/274 or it is a 10 minute walk from Hope station (Sheffield-Manchester line). http://www.hopevalleybeerfestival.com.

Lescar

Fri 25 – Mon 28 Mar

This Sharrow Vale Pub holds its Easter festival of beer, cider and music in the entertainment room.

North Leeds Charity Beer Festival

Fri 8 – Sun 10 Apr

This annual charity fundraiser organised by the local Roundhay Round Table organisation is now an established event, hosted in conjunction with North Leeds Cricket Club at the Homestead on Old Park Road (LS8 1JX , buses 12/13/13a). It is open 6pm-11pm Friday, 12pm-11pm Saturday and 12pm-6pm. Entry is £2 (free for members of CAMRA and SPBW) or a festival entry pack priced at £5 also includes a glass, programme and two beer tokens. The theme for the beer this year is Tykes versus Taffies and there will be 18 West Yorkshire beers and 18 Welsh beers on cask. There will also be a choice of ciders and live music to entertain.

http://www.northleedscharitybeerfestival.co.uk

Ship Inn (Shalesmoor)

Thu 21 – Sun 24 Apr

The Ship is holding a mini beer festival for the St George’s day period with a doubling of the number of handpumps up to 8 with beers from across the UK plus the addition of real cider.

The Ship is across the roundabout from Shalesmoor tram stop or buses 57/81/82/85/86 pass outside.

University of Sheffield Student Union

Fri 29 Apr – Sun 1 May

The annual festival of beer, cider and more featuring a cask ale stillage in the Raynor Lounge and Cider tent in the Union Gardens with a total range of over 100 drinks to choose from. Each day there will also be additional themed attractions, Friday will have a German themed Stein bar with Lederhosen wearing staff serving imported biers along with a food stall serving Bratwurst, additionally there will be a pop up gin bar. Saturday the theme is American with the addition of craft beer, bourbon and BBQ food whilst Sunday is all about Cider and Pig with the cider tent restocked and a hog roast in the garden. Entry is free and open to the public, souvenier glasses optional, you do however need to buy (non refundable) beer tokens on arrival. Access to the festival is via Bar One on Glossop Road or Interval Cafe Bar on Western Bank Concourse. Both are close to the University tram stop.

Barnsley CAMRA – Elsecar Heritage Railway

Fri 29 Apr – Mon 2 May

Another fixture now firmly established on the Barnsley calendar for the Mayday bank holiday weekend, a great range of beer and cider is served in a marquee in the railway yard. Outside is a food van and live music stage. Entry to the beer festival is free (a refundable glass deposit is required) and during the day train rides are available for the usual fare. http://www.barnsleycamra.org.uk.

British Oak’s Festive-Ale.

Fri 29 Apr – Mon 2 May

The British Oak at Mosborough is hosting a bank holiday beer festival featuring 30 cask ales plus a line up of 30 craft keg beers, food and entertainment. Open from 5pm Friday and midday Saturday to Monday. Stagecoach Buses 50, 50a, 53, 71 and 71a will get you there.

Norfolk Arms, Ringinglow

Fri 29 Apr – Mon 2 May

Their now regular beer festival located in a marquee outside the hotel showcasing mainly locally brewed ales.

Barrow Hill Rail Ale Festival

Thu 19 – Sat 21 May

Over 300 real ales, craft keg beers, cider & perry, food, music and trains all in an old railway roundhouse that is still operational. This year the festival celebrates its 15th anniversary with the biggest event yet! On Friday and Saturday there are train rides in the daytime and live music in the evening. A volunteer run shuttle bus operates from Chesterfield station. Advance tickets advisable. http://www.railalefestival.com

Hope Valley Beer & Cider Festival

27-30 May

The Old Hall Hotel at Hope hold the Spring edition of their regular bank holiday beer festival in a marquee outside with beer, cider, food and music. Bus 272/273/274 passes the pub, Hope station is a 10-15 minute walk away.

Three Valleys

Sat 4 June

This event just grows and grows – a great value day out filled with real ale, food and music hosted across 17 venues including town, suburban and rural pubs plus a brewery on a farm.

A fleet of 10 buses provides a regular free service from Dronfield station to all the venues, hop on and off at the participating festival venues as you please. All the venues offer free entry.

http://www.threevalleysfestival.org.uk.

Old Hall & Paper Mill Beer & Cider Festival, Whitehough near Chinley

17-19 September

This event takes place in the two neighbouring village pubs and beer garden with over 200 different beers & ciders available plus food and entertainment.

Sheffield CAMRA's 42nd Steel City Real Ale & Cider Festival

19-22 October

Back at Kelham Island Industrial Museum for the third year and yet again bigger & better to reflect the growing numbers attending. Over 200 beers and ciders plus live music and various street food stalls spread across several atmospheric areas of the venue - Victorian Courtyard, marquee, Millowners Arms, Upper Gallery Hall and Craft Room.