Black Swan landlord in the '60s?

Saw some great bands there. I was a regular most weekends regardless of who was on. Status Quo, Vinegar Joe with Robert Palmer and Elkie Brooks, Ducks de Luxe, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Dr Feelgood some of who I'd never heard of before I saw them.

Terry was very canny. I can remember more than one occasion when Terry announced "the band haven't turned up" when in all probability they hadn't been booked in the first place. I had a friend in the band Stackridge and another who played with Andy Bown. on separate occasions both bands were advertised at the Black Swan but in fact had gigs elsewhere on the same night.

On both occasions the audience were treated to Terry sitting on stage playing the bands records with his "lively" links between. A show probably worth the ticket money anyway- he could've taken the show on the road and had a decent stab at success.

Anyone remember a band called 'Trapeze' performing there. They were from the West Midlands -perhaps Stoke-on- Trent ,a great band and a great evening. Not a hit making group and I believe some went on to more famous outfits.

I thought the Compleat Angler was down the hill a bit from the hole in the road opp the market?

Did it move?

The Black Swan was down the hill a bit from the hole in the road i.e. Angel Street to Snig hill, and it did change it's name to the Compleat Angler, but it was not across from the market, that would have been the Brunswick on Haymarket. Don't think that pub ever changed it's name

I thought the Compleat Angler was down the hill a bit from the hole in the road opp the market? Did it move?
If I remember right The Black Swan was 2 stories high. One floor had the public bar, which you walked through to get to the concert room. Underneath was a snooker room, which later became The Compleat Angler.

If I remember right The Black Swan was 2 stories high. One floor had the public bar, which you walked through to get to the concert room. Underneath was a snooker room, which later became The Compleat Angler.

No the main floor became the Compleat Angler, and the Black Swan name was gone, at that point in time. It later became the Mucky Duck

I must be having brain failure. I left Sheff in 1983. Looking at my trusty blue Sheffield map I see Market Place/Angel St and yes that is where I remember the Compleat Angler but for some reason I remember the Mucky Duck being in Flat St off Pond St - what was that pub there then?

Angel St/Snig Hill was quite steep, the part under the Swan was a little further down the hill. It's been a barbers, snooker room etc., was it also the Boardwalk ?

The upper stories had an entrance on Bank St., opposite the Kitchen Centre, there was a Gym there for a long while.

It was revamped in the early 80's, in an attempt to move it upmarket, as the Complete Angler. Used to see Roger Moffat stagger out of there regularly.

I must be having brain failure. I left Sheff in 1983. Looking at my trusty blue Sheffield map I see Market Place/Angel St and yes that is where I remember the Compleat Angler but for some reason I remember the Mucky Duck being in Flat St off Pond St - what was that pub there then?

I left in 1981, only pubs going from Flat street going towards Pond st, were the Marples and the Elephant on Fitzalan sq./Flat St. at the top end and the Penny Black at the bottom end across from the bus station, Looking at Google, the Penny Black is still there. With you thinking downhill I would assume you mean the Penny Black.

Edited by TORONTONY