Anti-vaccine attitudes based on that false claim still exist

...Now the above two cases might not be considered as evidence for some,but to me its strong evidence that vaccines can cuse serious harm including autism.

When someone thinks two stories they heard is stronger evidence than a string of double blind studies with replicable methods then it's fairly safe to say they've rejected the scientific method.

There is no scientific truth. There is only scientific evidence with high but finite confidence.

Where is this evidence of corruption throughout the medical study system?

The past actions of tobacco companies 'buying' studies to cast doubt upon the known and proven scientific fact that smoking was the cause of much of the illness and death afflicting society at the time, is one example of the evidence.

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 20:12 ----------

When someone thinks two stories they heard is stronger evidence than a string of double blind studies with replicable methods then it's fairly safe to say they've rejected the scientific method.

Scientific method is-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

complete in itself and totally distinct from the culture of our study system.

Scientific method cannot be bought, or 'spun', unlike studies.

Scientific method is-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

complete in itself and totally distinct from the culture of our study system.

Scientific method cannot be bought, or 'spun', unlike studies.

You have a very different understanding of medical research than I do if you think it is 'totally distinct' from the scientific method.

The past actions of tobacco companies 'buying' studies to cast doubt upon the known and proven scientific fact that smoking was the cause of much of the illness and death afflicting society at the time, is one example of the evidence

Didn't work though did it. We know tobacco causes health issues. Hence there is no corruption of the medical evidence is there? :roll:

You have a very different understanding of medical research than I do if you think it is 'totally distinct' from the scientific method.

Indeed.

It should at least be obvious that random stories from the internet and other anecdotes are light years further away from the scientific method that medical research.

Distinct in the rather undeniable sense, that scientific method existed way before the modern day medical research system, and, therefore must be distinct from it.

Also, as previously mentioned, scientific method, as a method, cannot be corrupt, whereas, the modern day medical research system, can be.

Scientific method is something that the modern day medical research system, uses (albeit, due to political influence and the fact it is basically also a financial system, with varying degrees of competence).

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 21:51 ----------

Didn't work though did it. We know tobacco causes health issues. Hence there is no corruption of the medical evidence is there? :roll:

It worked very well indeed- for several decades past the point it became clear that smoking was deadly, the tobacco companies through political influence and studies designed to obscure the truth, managed to stretch out the time they could sell their poison freely, in the process, causing millions of unnecessary deaths.

for several decades past the point it became clear that smoking was deadly, the tobacco companies through political influence and studies designed to obscure the truth, managed to stretch out the time they could sell their poison freely, in the process, causing millions of unnecessary deaths.

If it's clear that smoking is deadly, then the misinformation hasn't worked has it...

You are conflating advertising with clinical research, which is a breathtaking leap even for you.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 09:34 ----------

Nahh, this guy doesn't reject science.

Yeah I'd spotted that as well although I thinks it's a she.....

I have a lot of respect for 'scientific method'- not only is it logically sound, it's also been the basis for great advances in knowledge, and, their empirical confirmation.

Our 'scientific study system' however, I have diminishing respect for with each passing year. Unlike scientific method, our study system produces obscuration and confusion. It was used by the tobacco companies to produce obscuration and confusion, it's currently being used by the food industry and political lobbyists for the same purpose.

I'm not going to waste my time arguing for and providing evidence for the above, with people whose logical ability is so degraded that they are unable to differentiate 'scientific method' from the current study system.

However, here's one of your own taking a completely different approach, and publishing a paper expressing his opinion that "most published research findings are false":-

http://robotics.cs.tamu.edu/RSS2015NegativeResults/pmed.0020124.pdf

(John P. A. Ioannidis, Professor of Medicine and of Health Research and Policy at Stanford University School of Medicine and a Professor of Statistics at Stanford University School of Humanities and Sciences)

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 10:26 ----------

If it's clear that smoking is deadly, then the misinformation hasn't worked has it...

You've got a bit of a tense issue there. Obviously the truth is out now- however, due to the tobacco industry and lobbyists using the study system to create doubt, it took way longer than necessary for that truth to get out, and, consequently, millions died of illness caused by smoking, because, due to the doubt and confusion caused, they put off quitting.