Holiday Dilemma

Do I take the holiday  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do I take the holiday

• Yes, its not fair for our son to miss out
    • No, my partner is correct

I am old and when I was a child we could not afford holidays abroad. My family all went on holiday to the seaside for two weeks every year. Grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all went together. My memories of childhood and those holidays are good ones and I don't feel deprived because I didn't have fancy holidays. I realise that this is probably irrelevant today when folk are all wanting more experiences. However, these can be had in this country and enjoyed as a family. There is lots to do and the child will enjoy the holidays just as much. My friend's grandchildren used to go abroad but remember the holidays spent at Butlins as being the best!

It was the same for me but as you say in the first line the opportunity wasn't there, in this instance it is there and being taken away which is vastly different.

It is sad that you feel your wife is taking away this opportunity. It isn't her fault and it will increase the anxiety that she already has if you view it in this way. If you really feel that strongly about this holiday then you have to be firm and go, leaving her behind. Hopefully you and your son will have a good time. Whatever you do, please do not blame your wife - she needs your love and support, not your condemnation.

By that definition I'd think most people have some form of mental illness, just as most people dont have perfect physical health. Theres a lot of tabboo about mental health, but for it to be an issue is a question of degree and how it affects you. Your situation is minimal, but from someone like an aggrophobic it can take over your whole life.

How so?

Do most people have a phobia?

As a footnote to this, after a lot of talking (hostile at times) my partner has agreed to have treatment for the phobia and if the Florida trip comes too soon she's quite happy to let us go, its been difficult but a happy ending of sorts and hopefully better things to come.

For years I have said I would take my son to Orlando once he is the right age - old enough to be able to do everything but still young enough for the magic of it, he loves his films so I thought it would be a good experience, he 13 next years and i'm 50 so perfect opportunity, in the intervening years my partner has developed a fear of flying although its not so much the actual flight but being in a confined space and not being able to get out of it thats the problem, she has catergorically stated that she will never board a plane again, despite doing so many times in the past.

I am prepared to take my son on my own and know another couple that are going with a child of the same age.

I have mentioned this to my partner and she has gone ballistic and basically said we cannot go, I dont really want to upset my partner but feel my son will miss out on something that he would remember for the rest of his life, he's an only child and we will never get these times back, what do I do??

I think your partner is being selfish not because they have a phobia but because they aren't happy with you going without them. If I had a phobia of flying I would be happy for my OH to go. In fact she is going away with her sister this month without me to Las Vegas.