Holiday Dilemma

Do I take the holiday  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do I take the holiday

• Yes, its not fair for our son to miss out
    • No, my partner is correct

Well I say you should still take him... you and your Son shouldn't have to miss out just because your partner is reluctant to fly.

It's her loss and it may also make her realise that irrational fears such as not wanting to fly is getting in the way of experiencing wonderful moments with her family.

Are you suggesting that a trip to disney world is worth more to a child than parents that are together, or not arguing?

Are you suggesting that a trip to disney world is worth more to a child than parents that are together, or not arguing?

I think the child shouldn't miss out. If the woman want's to split up and separate her family all because of a holiday for her Son then I don't think that relationship is worth keeping.. She's being selfish by not allowing her child to experience something that he'll remember for the rest of his life.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 13:14 ----------

Did Chelle 82 suggest that, or are you?

Him! always him :P

I had looked into the flying phobias courses but are they more of a fear of flying because the plane may crash or do they also deal with claustrophobic type fears.

I also have/had a claustrophobic reaction when flying. Only thing that seems to have fixed me (although I still get very very anxious before flying) was going long haul to Thailand a couple of years ago! 14 hours stuck on a plane makes you either deal or fall apart. Thankfully I managed to deal with it and realised I can control my own phobia to a certain extent now.

My fear is similar to your partners, nothing to do with the plane exactly, but much more to do with being trapped and not able to get out. Like others, I'd recommend speaking to a doctor about it with her and try to get some psychological support for her. They *might* even be prepared to prescribe some meds to help with anxiety. Sounds a real shame to cause problems between you, your son and your partner over a phobia, that more often than not can be fixed.

Only recommendation is try not to be combative about it. Phobias are as real as any other illness and if someone had tried to force me onto a plane at my worst I would have likely physically assaulted them my fear was so high. View it like an illness that can be cured.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 13:15 ----------

I think the child shouldn't miss out. If the woman want's to split up and separate her family all because of a holiday for her Son then I don't think that relationship is worth keeping.. She's being selfish by not allowing her child to experience something that he'll remember for the rest of his life.

I think that's a little unfair Chelle. Unless you've suffered from a phobia like this it's hard to understand just how strong that fear can be. However, I'd expect someone to at least admit the issue and try to get some help for it if it's starting to affect their family, no matter what the phobia.

Oh dear...

... that succinctly describes all that is wrong with society today! :(

I also have/had a claustrophobic reaction when flying. Only thing that seems to have fixed me (although I still get very very anxious before flying) was going long haul to Thailand a couple of years ago! 14 hours stuck on a plane makes you either deal or fall apart. Thankfully I managed to deal with it and realised I can control my own phobia to a certain extent now.

My fear is similar to your partners, nothing to do with the plane exactly, but much more to do with being trapped and not able to get out. Like others, I'd recommend speaking to a doctor about it with her and try to get some psychological support for her. They *might* even be prepared to prescribe some meds to help with anxiety. Sounds a real shame to cause problems between you, your son and your partner over a phobia, that more often than not can be fixed.

Only recommendation is try not to be combative about it. Phobias are as real as any other illness and if someone had tried to force me onto a plane at my worst I would have likely physically assaulted them my fear was so high. View it like an illness that can be cured.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 13:15 ----------

I think that's a little unfair Chelle. Unless you've suffered from a phobia like this it's hard to understand just how strong that fear can be. However, I'd expect someone to at least admit the issue and try to get some help for it if it's starting to affect their family, no matter what the phobia.

Good post, she's already done the Thailand flight in 2001 and was fine then.

Why am I being unfair?

I used to hate flying, I've had full blown panic attacks in airports before whilst waiting to catch my flights, I wasn't afraid of being in close proximity of others, my fear was the plane crashing! but I still got on the plane and I still travel with my daughter so she can experience different countries and cultures..

Even if my daughter wanted to go somewhere and I was really reluctant to go I would personally suggest her dad takes her and I wouldn't for one minute begrudge my daughter of the chance of going... My daughter's happiness comes before any irrational fear I may have of something..

Here's something constructive, I recommend hypnotherapy.. I had 4 sessions back in 2010 and I haven't had a panic attack since... Maybe something to consider.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 13:14 ----------

Him! always him :P

It will be lots of fun for junior he gets back then. I was promised a holiday to Florida when I were a lad, but because of the financial climate at the time it didn't happen. I'm here to tell the tale.

The only thing I would suggest is that the op tells his old lady she has to tell junior why he isn't having a holiday to Florida.

Why am I being unfair?

I used to hate flying, I've had full blown panic attacks in airports before whilst waiting to catch my flights, I wasn't afraid of being in close proximity of others, my fear was the plane crashing! but I still got on the plane and I still travel with my daughter so she can experience different countries and cultures..

Even if my daughter wanted to go somewhere and I was really reluctant to go I would personally suggest her dad takes her and I wouldn't for one minute begrudge my daughter of the chance of going... My daughter's happiness comes before any irrational fear I may have of something..

Here's something constructive, I recommend hypnotherapy.. I had 4 sessions back in 2010 and I haven't had a panic attack since... Maybe something to consider.

I'm agreeing with you on that part, that there are solutions that can and should be done, especially once you start affecting other people you care about.