Holiday Dilemma

Do I take the holiday  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do I take the holiday

• Yes, its not fair for our son to miss out
    • No, my partner is correct

We've been together for 17yrs and have been on many, many flights long and short haul with no problems this phobia has emerged in the last 6 or so years and meant we have had family holidays in England during that period , this is something I had in mind well before this phobia was an issue.

It doesnt stop the phobia being genuine though. You know her. you live with her, you have a child with her, presumably you care about about her, so you are going to have to decide whether theres a solution and whether you cna live with the consequences. I cant see why she wouldnt let you go on your own. If shes serious, then get her to go to the GP o do something about it. Why noy send her on her own non flying holiday with a friend or on her own?

It doesnt stop the phobia being genuine though. You know her. you live with her, you have a child with her, presumably you care about about her, so you are going to have to decide whether theres a solution and whether you cna live with the consequences. I cant see why she wouldnt let you go on your own. If shes serious, then get her to go to the GP o do something about it. Why noy send her on her own non flying holiday with a friend or on her own?

Yeah, just get her to go down to the GP. Easy.

If she won't let you go on your own (a simple option) I'm pretty sure she won't be eager to go down the doctors and confront what could be a potentially difficult mental health problem.

I'm asking a question, so clearly I'm NOT suggesting it... That's what the ? at the end indicates.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 14:34 ----------

So that would be in the best interest of the child would it? :roll:

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 14:36 ----------

So;

a) You managed to deal with your phobia.

Do you imagine that this means anyone can?

b) You were reasonable about the issue

Does that mean that everyone will be, or that it's worth a broken home if they're not?

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 14:38 ----------

We all agree that the partner of the OP isn't being reasonable, and the position she has taken is selfish.

But, that doesn't mean that the best thing to do is force the issue and potentially end the marriage. That's just as unreasonable...

All I know from my own experience Cyclone is that I wouldn't want my daughter to miss out on anything.. She's my world and whilst I love my partner very much it is my daughter and my daughters future I hold closest to my heart... Call me selfish but there you have it.

I just can't get into the mind set of not wanting my daughter to not experience something just because I'm afraid of something.. Why should she miss out on an opportunity to enjoy herself, and in some cases once in a lifetime opportunities!

Yeah, just get her to go down to the GP. Easy.

If she won't let you go on your own (a simple option) I'm pretty sure she won't be eager to go down the doctors and confront what could be a potentially difficult mental health problem.

It's the over sensitive soul here again... ;)

... but can someone please explain to me why anyone who has been happily married for 17 years and who has by the sounds of it, a perfectly normal 13 year old son, would want to go on holiday without their partner?

At 13, it'll not be many years before the lad himself doesn't want to go on holiday with his parents anymore, so they should all make the most of their holiday time together...

... even if it's only a week in a caravan at Cleethorpes! :)

... but can someone please explain to me why anyone who has been happily married for 17 years and who has by the sounds of it, a perfectly normal 13 year old son, would want to go on holiday without their partner?

At 13, it'll not be many years before the lad himself doesn't want to go on holiday with his parents anymore, so they should all make the most of their holiday time together...

I think you've answered your own question with the 2nd paragraph.

Your question mark could have fooled me, C :hihi:

You think a leading question stops it being a question?

(See what I did there?)

The clue is in the phrase "leading question"... Can you spot it?

Turns out I was spot on anyway doesn't it. Chelle came out and said that divorce and 2 weeks in Florida was preferable to parents staying together.

Edited by Cyclone

All I know from my own experience Cyclone is that I wouldn't want my daughter to miss out on anything.. She's my world and whilst I love my partner very much it is my daughter and my daughters future I hold closest to my heart... Call me selfish but there you have it.

If you think 2 weeks at Disney Land would be worth growing up in a single parent family, then you've got your priorities pretty messed up.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 15:56 ----------

Didn't they explain that already?

It's something they've wanted for the child for a long time, something they'd planned. People are resistant to losing those kinds of experiences. Particularly for a mental illness that they can't see. If the wife had a physical reason to not fly it would probably be much better understood.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 15:58 ----------

I think the child shouldn't miss out. If the woman want's to split up and separate her family all because of a holiday for her Son then I don't think that relationship is worth keeping..

You saw this right L00b, whilst you were looking up leading question?

If you think 2 weeks at Disney Land would be worth growing up in a single parent family, then you've got your priorities pretty messed up.

Where did I say that?? Please show me... In an ideal world the mother would go with them, but she doesn't want to so that means the little boy misses out.. regardless of whether it's Disney world, lego land or even a weekend camping in the peak district! The whole point is, the mother is selfishly stopping her child from experiencing enjoyment all because of an irrational fear.

Oh and my daughter is my priority! who's child isn't? If you don't want your children to be priority then please for the love of mankind don't have kids.