PM says Brexit could bring Calais 'Jungle' to UK

Just read the article below. David Cameron is expected to warn that migrant camps like the "Jungle" in Calais could appear in south-east England if the UK leaves the EU.

Is he just scaremongering to get people to vote to stay in the EU?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35519210

I would say it's a threat, the government would have the power to deport them, the only way such camps can grow is if the government allows them to grow, he wants to stay in so is threatening us with migrant camps if we vote to leave.

I would say it's a threat, the government would have the power to deport them, the only way such camps can grow is if the government allows them to grow, he wants to stay in so is threatening us with migrant camps if we vote to leave.

Well exactly. We have the power to deport people so really he's just saying that the current government is so incompetent that they would be unable to legally deport people who came here illegally. Vote for someone else at the next election huh?

Thats how i see his comments too. He is just trying to manipulate the stupid people as politicians always do.

From another thread, posted a short while back:

Would this bit of today's news be what's concerning the OP?

If it is, can I just reassure you straight away, the 2003 Le Touquet Agreement has sod all to do:

(I) with the UK's or France's membership of the EU, and

(II) with the UK's border control posts on French territory,

because it's only ambit and purpose is to allow French police officers to carry their service weapons in, to, and from the French border control posts located on UK territory (Cheriton, Ashford International, Waterloo International).

Now, were they talking about the bigger picture provided by 1991 Sangatte Protocol (of which the 2003 Le Touquet Agreement is only a very small aspect), itself a clean-up and prorogation of the 1986 Canterbury Agreement (a bilateral UK<>FR Agreement to facilitate border issues during the building of the Chunnel) after the Chunnel started doing its job...but then, again, all of these

(I) are sod all to do with the UK's or France's membership of the EU, and

(II) carry the potential to affect France just as much as the UK, insofar as border control posts on each other's territory are concerned.

Unless the Chunnel gets closed on the back of a Brexit, no change expected to Calais/the Jungle.

So yes, scaremongering. Quite a disingenuous bit of intox from Cameron/the 'Stay' campaign. But then, many of the 'Leave' campaign arguments are equally disingenuous :|

It is utter tripe. The camps are in Calais because the folk in them are trying to get illegally to the UK. There would not be camps in Dover because folk arriving illegally could just be stuck on the first boat back.

Well exactly. We have the power to deport people so really he's just saying that the current government is so incompetent that they would be unable to legally deport people who came here illegally. Vote for someone else at the next election huh?

We're pretty incompetent when it comes to deporting people already.

......If it is, can I just reassure you straight away, the 2003 Le Touquet Agreement has sod all to do:......

The agreement and it's additions were negotiated between two members of the EU. If Britain was to leave the EU then maybe France would renounce the agreements.

It would certainly ease lots of tensions within France if they just pointed the migrants in the direction of England, said "off you go chaps" and stood back.

If they all arrive in a great mass then we have to put them somewhere while they are processed and their return to whereever is arranged.

So while Dave is probably slightly overegging the scaremongering pudding there is a grain of truth in it.

It is utter tripe. The camps are in Calais because the folk in them are trying to get illegally to the UK. There would not be camps in Dover because folk arriving illegally could just be stuck on the first boat back.

Agreed, they are hardly going to wait in Dover to be rounded up and deported. Cameron must think we are stupid. :suspect: