Child Mental Health Crisis.

1 in 10 schoolchildren have mental health problems. That's a huge number. 75% of children in care, and an incredible 90% of children in detention, have serious mental health problems.

Mental health Services are overwhelmed and are unable to cope. Mental health really is the Cinderella of the Health Service, and needs massive investment which it is not getting, in fact Mental Health budgets have been cut to the bone.

Waiting lists are long, and people are having to travel from one end of the country to the other to get help. Placing children in hospitals far away from home is exacerbating the problems. Unfortunately, not getting help in the early stages of mental illness can lead to much more serious mental health problems later, in adulthood.

(ITV lunchtime news. 08.02.16)

Cameron of course, talks the talk, but nothing actually happens, the situation is actually getting worse on a daily basis.

What can we do, as parents, grandparents, friends etc. to help ease the situation for our young people?

This is an interesting read.

Six Problems wih Psychiatric Diagnosis for Children

Having differences is not the same as having a disease.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/suffer-the-children/201105/six-problems-wih-psychiatric-diagnosis-children

What is considered normal and what is considered a "mental disorder" depends on the current attitudes of a society, not on scientific evidence.

Psychiatric diagnoses have been expanded to include normal childhood behaviors because adult behavior standards are being imposed on children.

To be fair it isn't just children's mental health services that are beyond crisis point; adult services have been allowed to wither on the vine - and with comparatively little noise.

It is tragic, but I think it's one of those things that have been allowed to happen, which will eventually come back to bite us.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 15:15 ----------

You can start with understanding mental illness.

That is first step to help.

And don't bring politics into that one.

Cameron does what every other prime minister did about it.

It is more up to NHS than prime minister really.

There is nothing to suggest that the OP doesn't understand mental illness, any more than you or I.

And your comment about not bringing politics into it is laughable. How can politics not be brought into it - it's an intensely political area - from diagnosis, to treatment, to funding etc....

Edited by Mister M

What is considered normal and what is considered a "mental disorder" depends on the current attitudes of a society, not on scientific evidence.

Depression, bipolar, mania, schizophrenia are caused by chemical imbalance in brain.

Purely scientific and nothing to do attitudes towards affected.

We know very little about it, but we know a bit.

Treatment is meant to restore balance in brain chemistry.

Feeling sad when you get sacked, your mother dies or dog gets hit by car is not depression.

That is perfectly normal reaction. People with depression are feeling low for no reason. People with mania are other way round.

Unfortunately even some doctors can't distinguish between mental illness and normal state of sadness.

That is why so many people in this country are on antidepressants prescribed by GPs.

Understanding is first step.

What can we do, as parents, grandparents, friends etc. to help ease the situation for our young people?

Get trained as a mental health professional and work for free.

This isn't a new problem - for some time now the biggest cause of death for men under 25 has been suicide. I don't know what the solution is.

And your comment about not bringing politics into it is laughable. How can politics not be brought into it - it's an intensely political area - from diagnosis, to treatment, to funding etc....

OP clearly asked

So I have answered that specific question, politics has nothing to do with it.

But I'll give you that one - state of all mental health services is rather poor.

Depression, bipolar, mania, schizophrenia are caused by chemical imbalance in brain.

Purely scientific and nothing to do attitudes towards affected.

We know very little about it, but we know a bit.

Treatment is meant to restore balance in brain chemistry.

Feeling sad when you get sacked, your mother dies or dog gets hit by car is not depression.

That is perfectly normal reaction. People with depression are feeling low for no reason. People with mania are other way round.

Unfortunately even some doctors can't distinguish between mental illness and normal state of sadness.

That is why so many people in this country are on antidepressants prescribed by GPs.

Understanding is first step.

The exact cause of bipolar disorder is unknown.

There is no single cause of depression.

The exact causes of schizophrenia are unknown,

Some of the many sites that discuss the chemical imbalance myth.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/curious/201403/what-causes-depression-myths-about-chemical-imbalances

http://www.cchrint.org/2014/03/07/rip-psychiatry-the-chemical-imbalance-theory-is-dead/

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2013/10/18/mental_illness_is_chemical_imbalance_theory_a_myth.html

http://chriskresser.com/the-chemical-imbalance-myth/

OP clearly asked

So I have answered that specific question, politics has nothing to do with it.

But I'll give you that one - state of all mental health services is rather poor.

Fair point - I should've read the opening post more fully.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 21:06 ----------

I think with phenomena as complex and varied as mental (ill) health there is unlikely to be one single cause that explains why it happens to certain people and not others.

The causes are likely to be varied, ranging from genetics right through to people's life experiences.