Child Mental Health Crisis.

I accept the existence of mental illness. I just feel that many so called disorders are part of our human make and diversity.

I have read the theory that Mozart was mentally ill, that Chopin hallucinated when playing, clearly Van Gough had major issues.

Blucher the Prussian General who fought alongside Wellington at Waterloo believed he was pregnant and likely to give birth to an elephant, the father being a French trooper.

Would humanity have been better off if these people had been "treated" their weirdness named?

I accept the existence of mental illness. I just feel that many so called disorders are part of our human make and diversity.

I have read the theory that Mozart was mentally ill, that Chopin hallucinated when playing, clearly Van Gough had major issues.

Blucher the Prussian General who fought alongside Wellington at Waterloo believed he was pregnant and likely to give birth to an elephant, the father being a French trooper.

Would humanity have been better off if these people had been "treated" their weirdness named?

I agree that there is a great deal of diversity in human behaviour.

But society imposes 'norms' of behaviour. Step outside these bounds and the results can be catastrophic, especially if they impact on other people.

What do you suggest we do?

Ignore them?

But society imposes 'norms' of behaviour. Step outside these bounds and the results can be catastrophic, especially if they impact on other people.

Ignore them?

Modern society isn't the norm for humans. It's no wonder that human issues are increasing as we get further and further away from how we evolved to live.

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 20:42 ----------

Cameron of course, talks the talk, but nothing actually happens, the situation is actually getting worse on a daily basis.

What can we do, as parents, grandparents, friends etc. to help ease the situation for our young people?

... and I think this is the usual anti-Tory stance.

It's way deeper than Cameron, or Blair, or politics in general.

Modern society isn't the norm for humans. It's no wonder that human issues are increasing as we get further and further away from how we evolved to live.

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 20:42 ----------

... and I think this is the usual anti-Tory stance.

It's way deeper than Cameron, or Blair, or politics in general.

I agree, which is why I asked what we should be doing. If the government can't/ won't help, then it's up to us to do what we can.That's what I was getting at.

I personally love talking to young people that I meet, and getting their perspective on things. What I hear alarms me.

I agree, which is why I asked what we should be doing. If the government can't/ won't help, then it's up to us to do what we can.That's what I was getting at.

I personally love talking to young people that I meet, and getting their perspective on things. What I hear alarms me.

Other than turn back time (impossible) or elimination of about 80% of the human population, and start again, I can't think of anything. The government/or western society's 'best' policies/ideas are talking to 'professionals', or drugs. It will eventually sway more towards drugs because that is a cheaper option as the problem increases with more people/population. It's a problem that is escalating as people/population increase and tecnology, become more like robots tapping on i****e type things, wanting ever more and more, and appreciating nothing that they have, just demanding more.

Can you clarify Anna: what you hear from these young people you meet alarms you? or what you hear somewhere else alarms you?

Not so sure that is true as we have evoled to live in a modern society that we have created, which shows that we have just moved on from a primative nature.

Other than turn back time (impossible) or elimination of about 80% of the human population, and start again, I can't think of anything. The government/or western society's 'best' policies/ideas are talking to 'professionals', or drugs. It will eventually sway more towards drugs because that is a cheaper option as the problem increases with more people/population. It's a problem that is escalating as people/population increase and tecnology, become more like robots tapping on i****e type things, wanting ever more and more, and appreciating nothing that they have, just demanding more.

Can you clarify Anna: what you hear from these young people you meet alarms you? or what you hear somewhere else alarms you?

What I hear from the young people alarms me.

They're all different of course, but everything from personal image to friendships to relationships seems to be really problematic for them in a way that it never was for us. It's not just what they say to me, but what I overhear them say to each other that's so worrying. Where is the self confidence that feminism brought to women in the 70s and 80s?

Someone said they should talk to professionals, fair enough, but I'd like to see them talking to good role models and mentors as well, not professionals. I'd like to see more time in school devoted to the 'whole' child, rather than just concentrating on exams. Do they still do 'Circle time.'? Do they talk to their parents or family members? Or Teachers? Do they have debating clubs to discuss some of these issues?

I asked one kid why there was so much vandalism. He simply said it was because they were angry.

'What about' I asked.

'Everything. And all the <Removed> an' that.'

'What <Removed>?'

'The World's <Removed>. And it's your generation's fault... '

Edited by nikki-red
Language

Ignore them?

Personally I believe that unless a person is a danger to the public, society should leave them alone.

Eccentricity tends to be creative, pushing the boundaries of human experience and ability.

From Milligan and Sellars to Shane McGowan, from Blake to Salman Rushdie, the entertainment industry and arts is populated with those who skirt the boundaries of mental normality, are we worse of for this?

You seem to wish for an ordered world, of sterility, normality and stasis. It is people with your mind set who banned the Satanic verses, put a fig leaf of the statue of David and booed Diaghilev.