Child Mental Health Crisis.

I asked one kid why there was so much vandalism. He simply said it was because they were angry.

'What about' I asked.

'Everything. And all the <Removed> an' that.'

'What <Removed>'

'The World's <Removed>. And it's your generation's fault... '

Where do you think they get this information from?

Edited by nikki-red
language

I personally love talking to young people that I meet, and getting their perspective on things. What I hear alarms me.

I reckon that this would have been the same 30-40-50-100 years ago..older people being alarmed by younger ones..same story...different generation..

Personally I believe that unless a person is a danger to the public, society should leave them alone.

Eccentricity tends to be creative, pushing the boundaries of human experience and ability.

From Milligan and Sellars to Shane McGowan, from Blake to Salman Rushdie, the entertainment industry and arts is populated with those who skirt the boundaries of mental normality, are we worse of for this?

You seem to wish for an ordered world, of sterility, normality and stasis. It is people with your mind set who banned the Satanic verses, put a fig leaf of the statue of David and booed Diaghilev.

I love the quirkiness of people. It's what makes them interesting. But unfortunately we're not really talking 'quirky' but, in some cases, seriously disturbed. Schizophrenia, for example, is no joke for the sufferer, nor for their family. They need all the help they can get.

I reckon that this would have been the same 30-40-50-100 years ago..older people being alarmed by younger ones..same story...different generation..

Yes, most probably. Different generation in particular now though I think, due to the internet and mobile communication. I remember seeing the news every day about the strikes/industries clsing/violence etc. but I never thought about talking about it with other kids. We just played out, and talked about football or whatever!

These days, information is everywhere on phones and social media etc. it's no wonder kids think the world's bad. So do I when I use social media!

A leaked report by a government taskforce has painted a devastating picture of England’s mental health services....While the prime minister is expected to trumpet his focus on mental health – six years after he pledged to put mental wellbeing at the centre of his government – his own taskforce condemns years of underinvestment and lays a significant portion of the blame on the current administration:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/13/mental-health-services-crisis-britain-revealed-leaked-report

A leaked report by a government taskforce has painted a devastating picture of England’s mental health services....While the prime minister is expected to trumpet his focus on mental health – six years after he pledged to put mental wellbeing at the centre of his government – his own taskforce condemns years of underinvestment and lays a significant portion of the blame on the current administration:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/13/mental-health-services-crisis-britain-revealed-leaked-report

Its true, we are still trying to catch up on the years of neglect under Labour, the problem has been prioritizing. Cancer or mental health whats your priority?

Its true, we are still trying to catch up on the years of neglect under Labour, the problem has been prioritizing. Cancer or mental health whats your priority?

The Independent Kings Fund did a report on the Health Service under Labour looking at Cancer, Heart Disease and Mental Health. It's worth a read:

http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/sites/files/kf/field/field_publication_file/independent-audit-nhs-under-labour-1997%E2%80%932005-sunday-times-march-2005.pdf

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 16:58 ----------

Speaking of neglect, the process of Care in the Community was shocking. And you complain about Labour's years of under investment??? If it was neglect then, these truly are the years of famine....

The Independent Kings Fund did a report on the Health Service under Labour looking at Cancer, Heart Disease and Mental Health. It's worth a read:

http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/sites/files/kf/field/field_publication_file/independent-audit-nhs-under-labour-1997%E2%80%932005-sunday-times-march-2005.pdf

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 16:58 ----------

Speaking of neglect, the process of Care in the Community was shocking. And you complain about Labour's years of under investment??? If it was neglect then, these truly are the years of famine....

You cannot spend what we have not got, we havent got much due to the profligacy of Blair and Brown. Thankfully we now have a government that has managed to turn the corner, create the jobs, make the money, that will allow them to invest a further 8 Billion in the NHS.

Care in the Community has always been a disgrace, in conception and in delivery. Regrettably politicians of all parties subscribe to it and we are lumbered. Most of the contracts issued by local government are the result of poor tenders filled by providers with no real commitment to care, just to profit and short term profit at that. This was true under Labour and regrettably still exists. I have more faith in the Tories to put this right than I would ever have under Labour, besotted as they are with targets, and highly weird accountability systems.

You cannot spend what we have not got, we havent got much due to the profligacy of Blair and Brown. Thankfully we now have a government that has managed to turn the corner, create the jobs, make the money, that will allow them to invest a further 8 Billion in the NHS.

Care in the Community has always been a disgrace, in conception and in delivery. Regrettably politicians of all parties subscribe to it and we are lumbered. Most of the contracts issued by local government are the result of poor tenders filled by providers with no real commitment to care, just to profit and short term profit at that. This was true under Labour and regrettably still exists. I have more faith in the Tories to put this right than I would ever have under Labour, besotted as they are with targets, and highly weird accountability systems.

So you didn't read the report I linked by the Kings Fund?

I agree, which is why I asked what we should be doing. If the government can't/ won't help, then it's up to us to do what we can.That's what I was getting at.

I personally love talking to young people that I meet, and getting their perspective on things. What I hear alarms me.

Probably the single biggest thing everyone can do to reduce their chances of having mental health problems is to significantly increase their physical activity and eat a much healthier diet consists of 10 portions of fruit and veg a day.

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 10:56 ----------

Smoking, drug use and alcohol consumption and stress are also linked to mental heath issues. Stopping all three and avoid stress will reduce your chances of having mental health issues.

It appears that an healthy stress free life is the best way to cut mental health issues and it doesn't cost anything.