999 refused my call - is this normal??

You must make an official complaint, and I'd also consider reporting it to a newspaper as well.

As previous posters have said there are many circumstances where it is not possible for someone in the house to phone.

I don't blame the ambulance services, I blame the cuts. It needs publicising to stop it happening. Lives could be at stake.

I don't blame the ambulance services, I blame the cuts. It needs publicising to stop it happening. Lives could be at stake.

What an absolutely stupid statement to make. Do you have one shread of evidence that points to this being a policy change brought about due to fiscal constraint, or is it your usual made up tripe attempting to bring politics into every situation?

Edited by foxy lady

and I'd also consider reporting it to a newspaper as well.
and this would serve what? A piccy in the paper with the relative scowling & pointing to their bandages. Its Jeremy Kyle fodder.

, I blame the cuts.
Wish I could have placed a bet on this appearing in your post.

You should most definitely make a complaint and I also agree with Anna B about reporting it to a newspaper..

How can it be acceptable to expect someone to always be in the injured party's house to make that call? So basically, if you live on your own and have an accident TOUGH!

This needs changing... Regardless of who is to blame for the current policy in place

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 16:47 ----------

and this would serve what? A piccy in the paper with the relative scowling & pointing to their bandages. Its Jeremy Kyle fodder.

Wish I could have placed a bet on this appearing in your post.

I think reporting to a newspaper gives it more coverage and will bring lots of attention to the issue. It's not about the OP's personal gain, nor her sisters..

I think reporting to a newspaper gives it more coverage and will bring lots of attention to the issue. It's not about the OP's personal gain, nor her sisters..

And that's it? OK, putting my sarcasm aside, what does it really achieve? Consider this, you buy tonite's Star and read about it. What difference will that have made? What are you going to do having read that?(not picking on you personally, I'm trying to make a point). Same with your neighbour, and his, and so on. The majority will just say "Fancy that, look at their photo-staged faces" and move on without any real care. The papers are full of small (##) stories of people complaining about something or other, nobody reads them any more. The only real outcome will be some minor personal publicity (whether its wanted or not) for those involved.

(##) I used the word "small" in the context of the mass public. Obviously it wasn't a "small" issue for the OP and their loved one

What it really needs is some clever, well-crafted communication to the Trust(s) boards involved, in a non-confrontational manner, illustrating a problem and asking for solutions. This may come to nothing too, but at least it will reach those involved in policy making.

And that's it? OK, putting my sarcasm aside, what does it really achieve? Consider this, you buy tonite's Star and read about it. What difference will that have made? What are you going to do having read that?(not picking on you personally, I'm trying to make a point). Same with your neighbour, and his, and so on. The majority will just say "Fancy that, look at their photo-staged faces" and move on without any real care. The papers are full of small (##) stories of people complaining about something or other, nobody reads them any more. The only real outcome will be some minor personal publicity (whether its wanted or not) for those involved.

(##) I used the word "small" in the context of the mass public. Obviously it wasn't a "small" issue for the OP and their loved one

What it really needs is some clever, well-crafted communication to the Trust(s) boards involved, in a non-confrontational manner, illustrating a problem and asking for solutions. This may come to nothing too, but at least it will reach those involved in policy making.

Newspapers give it publicity. From publicity, campaigns start. Government's public embarrassment often achieves far more than polite letters. I don't like it but that's often the case.

However I agree that your last paragraph should be tried as well, but sadly, these days my money's on the adverse publicity route.