Well off council tenants must pay market rent

576 homes to rent under £500/m. I really don't know what your problem is because you have plenty of choice.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E1195&maxPrice=500&googleAnalyticsChannel=renting

Probably a problem of expectation. Ive been to see a lot of housing at that level and its been less than desirable.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 15:01 ----------

herbalharry, may I ask how old you are?

Youngish early 30s.

Sorry i didnt mean to be rude.

Its no dreamland. Im living that reality. Paying over 50% of wages on rent is not sustainable In long term.

Ive had this exact issue in Leeds for months on a 40k salary..so commuted...private market rents are way above salary levels.

The council laughed at me when i enquired...no housing.

If you have any expectations of living in nice areas and having a decent quality of life its troublesome for the 30k bracket. You are not on the breadline but you aint rich.

For that reason the council hike is bad news.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I am not rich compared to a millionaire, of course not, but I am rich compared to the majority and as I said I am grateful to be and look to help and support others when and where I can. Yes, I've earned it, I took time out to reskill and have spent many years improving my skills to get me where I am, but I could never have done that in a country that had lesser schools, hospitals, roads, almost anything, and it's that part about people who don't appreciate their above incomes that will always irk me, that without the support of the country none of us would be anywhere.

And thank you for the apology. It's very easy to make assumptions about people, I would equally have never though you were a similar age to me! Goes to show you can never tell online :D

Probably a problem of expectation. Ive been to see a lot of housing at that level and its been less than desirable.

Possibly. I asked how old you are as it sounds like you're trying to get on the housing ladder so I assume you're probably early / mid 20's. Us slightly older ones can see a generational change where the expectations were that if you were saving up for a home you'd go without other things for maybe a few years. That's not the case now, hence my tongue in cheek moon on a stick comment. It's just that at the end of the day you can have one thing, or the other, but not both.

Council accommodation were ALWAYS hard to get and when I was early 20's the choice would have been a mouldy 20th floor flat at Norfolk Park or a mouldy 21st floor flat at Norfolk Park, after being on a list for a few years. I bought a cheap house when I was 22 in an area that I didn't like, was miles out, but could afford, saved up some more, etc, and now look where I am! :D

1. thats housing policy though. Everyone agrees we should build more houses, but that takes land and an economy that means its wortwhile for builders to build them.

2. Rents increase till demand meets supply, then they will stabilise.

3. It will improve use of council housing stick by getting more of the designated people in and either getting further income from people who can afford to rent privately or moving them out, which frees up housing.

4. Its targeted at above average paid workers.

5. It doesnt artificially inflate the private market it means you will be paying the real market rate rather than the low council one.

You still fail to tell us why you should have council housing if you dont fall within the criteria as opposed to someone that does?

I dont have the opportunity for council housing as not a priority.

thats what im trying to say, the people who need it are first in line anyway.

Totally agree, I waited around 5 years. I wont be paying a higher rent, I will be buy it. Surely anyone that can afford a higher rent, can afford to buy. I will struggle, but I hope to buy.

Everyone should have a right to this 30% discount, which will amount to a gift of £25,000 minimum.

When will the government give me my £25k gift then?

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I am not rich compared to a millionaire, of course not, but I am rich compared to the majority and as I said I am grateful to be and look to help and support others when and where I can. Yes, I've earned it, I took time out to reskill and have spent many years improving my skills to get me where I am, but I could never have done that in a country that had lesser schools, hospitals, roads, almost anything, and it's that part about people who don't appreciate their above incomes that will always irk me, that without the support of the country none of us would be anywhere.

And thank you for the apology. It's very easy to make assumptions about people, I would equally have never though you were a similar age to me! Goes to show you can never tell online :D

I guess it's pretty handy having free education up to 18. A lot of countries don't even have that.

The market rate doesnt exist.

maybe the true market rate is council levels.

ive illustrated why earlier...otherwise market rates would just keep going up past levels of earnings and literally nobody could afford rents.

How can you say that the market rate doesn't exist? It's just the rate at which the market is selling that service or item... An average. Of course it exists.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 15:38 ----------

£1620 is not high.

taking a 1 bed at park hill flats.

including bills that person is paying over 50% of take home salary on rent!

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 14:06 ----------

It would be stupid to increase them. I agree!!!

You think that a 1 bed flat in that dump costs £810 a month to rent including bills?

In that case, move out, get a mortgage and buy a 3 bedroom semi somewhere.

One of my friends just bought one for a mortgage of £350/month (bills on top obviously, but that will be a total of around £550/month).

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 15:39 ----------

The one problem there is we should have a regional average not a UK one.

We do, the Sheffield average is more like £22k from memory.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 15:46 ----------

The example was park hill as it's 400 thru council, 600 thru private.

The bit I'm confused about is why you think you deserve the discounted rate, despite having an income?

The person who gets the rate of £400 has no job (or has a low paid job). Perhaps they work full time on minimum wage, meaning they take home approx £1000 a month.

They then pay 40% of that in rent, and they still have to travel, eat, heat the place, buy electricity, clothe themselves and so on... But they've only got £600 a month to play with.

Whereas you start with £2000 a month and pay 30% of that in rent...

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 15:48 ----------

Park hill flats is a new, redevelopment that comes at a premium.

If you are prepared to spend £810 per month on rent/bills, you can get a 3 bed semi for that.

You can get one for a lot less to be honest.

As I said, my mate just bought one. Admittedly he had to save a deposit, but that's to be expected.

Council tax will be £1000/year, mortgage is £350/month, then there's all the other bills we're all familiar with. It's still going to be less than £800/month by a long way!

How can you say that the market rate doesn't exist? It's just the rate at which the market is selling that service or item... An average. Of course it exists.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 15:38 ----------

You think that a 1 bed flat in that dump costs £810 a month to rent including bills?

In that case, move out, get a mortgage and buy a 3 bedroom semi somewhere.

One of my friends just bought one for a mortgage of £350/month (bills on top obviously, but that will be a total of around £550/month).

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 15:39 ----------

We do, the Sheffield average is more like £22k from memory.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 15:46 ----------

The bit I'm confused about is why you think you deserve the discounted rate, despite having an income?

The person who gets the rate of £400 has no job (or has a low paid job). Perhaps they work full time on minimum wage, meaning they take home approx £1000 a month.

They then pay 40% of that in rent, and they still have to travel, eat, heat the place, buy electricity, clothe themselves and so on... But they've only got £600 a month to play with.

Whereas you start with £2000 a month and pay 30% of that in rent...

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 15:48 ----------

You can get one for a lot less to be honest.

As I said, my mate just bought one. Admittedly he had to save a deposit, but that's to be expected.

Council tax will be £1000/year, mortgage is £350/month, then there's all the other bills we're all familiar with. It's still going to be less than £800/month by a long way!

I've been through this hundred times today and why rent increases are a bad idea, let someone else have a turn.