Well off council tenants must pay market rent

When will the government give me my £25k gift then?

When you get a council property, which is same time hell freezes over.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 16:26 ----------

Nobody else agrees with you though.

Nobody else as in like 4 people? Is that your definition of everybody? Lol

I dont have the opportunity for council housing as not a priority.

thats what im trying to say, the people who need it are first in line anyway.

Anyone can put themselves on the waiting list, although some people get a higher priority because of their circumstances. If you are none priority then you will need to wait longer or go and find a place in the private housing sector, which is what the government wnats and expects you to do.

What the proposal is aimed at, is to move those people from social housing into the private sector. There might not be many, but its political and catches the headlines just like the bedroom tax. In the big scheme of things its going to have minimal effect, but I dont think you can argue that they want the people in most need to occupy social housing.

Anyone can put themselves on the waiting list, although some people get a higher priority because of their circumstances. If you are none priority then you will need to wait longer or go and find a place in the private housing sector, which is what the government wnats and expects you to do.

What the proposal is aimed at, is to move those people from social housing into the private sector. There might not be many, but its political and catches the headlines just like the bedroom tax. In the big scheme of things its going to have minimal effect, but I dont think you can argue that they want the people in most need to occupy social housing.

Been on 9.5 years...not holding my breath or moaning about it.

I object to being discriminated against but that's been discussed.

When will the government give me my £25k gift then?

Anyone can apply for a council house.

in 2009 the Government had the scrapage scheme, to boost car sales, giving car buyers £1,000 - did you miss that one too ;

The gave poor kids laptop computers - did you miss that one too ;

Bus pass, child care, libraries, loads of stuff for new mothers, free swimming, loads of stuff are given away by Governments. Its all too much, but some of it must be needed.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 19:33 ----------

[quote= the_bloke View Post

a) We've proved that someone on full time earning 20k wouldn't get HB

Eh?!!! Where?

Maybe if the person has 5 kids?

It was before the OP started rolling out children, self employment and mumsnet.

I'm still none the wiser how someone can be in a council house, be charged market rent and not be able to claim HB, then move into the equivalent privately rented home presumably also at market rent and suddenly be able to claim HB.

When the National Living Wage comes into effect in April, anyone over 25 and in full time employment will be earning just short of £15,000.

If the NLW rises in April 2017, everyone living in social housing and having 2 full time workers registered at the address will be affected by this policy.

They obviously only want unemployed or homes with single wage earners to be able to take advantage of cheaper social rents.

This is not right.

People living on the NLW will NOT be well off!

Im not counting.

You must have done, you said 4...

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 09:32 ----------

Been on 9.5 years...not holding my breath or moaning about it.

I object to being discriminated against but that's been discussed.

You are moaning about it...

And you object to the idea that you wouldn't get a discounted rate...

You can obviously offer to rent privately (you are doing so and have done for some time)... So why should you ever get a discounted council house?

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 09:33 ----------

Anyone can apply for a council house.

in 2009 the Government had the scrapage scheme, to boost car sales, giving car buyers £1,000 - did you miss that one too ;

The gave poor kids laptop computers - did you miss that one too ;

Bus pass, child care, libraries, loads of stuff for new mothers, free swimming, loads of stuff are given away by Governments. Its all too much, but some of it must be needed.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 19:33 ----------

So what you're saying is that we aren't all entitled to everything?

Which is the point that HerbalHarry needs to take on board...

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 09:34 ----------

When the National Living Wage comes into effect in April, anyone over 25 and in full time employment will be earning just short of £15,000.

If the NLW rises in April 2017, everyone living in social housing and having 2 full time workers registered at the address will be affected by this policy.

They obviously only want unemployed or homes with single wage earners to be able to take advantage of cheaper social rents.

This is not right.

People living on the NLW will NOT be well off!

Has the 30k earning threshold actually been confirmed?