Well off council tenants must pay market rent

Unless the Pay to Stay policy is intended to force people to exercise Right To Buy and take advantage of discounts of up to £100 000, resulting in the privatisation and loss of social housing stock, then it is an ill thought out policy that will result in the loss of social housing, with high income council tenants receiving subsidies nearly equivalent to an entire working life spent on the dole.

Unless the Pay to Stay policy is intended to force people to exercise Right To Buy and take advantage of discounts of up to £100 000, resulting in the privatisation and loss of social housing stock, then it is an ill thought out policy that will result in the loss of social housing, with high income council tenants receiving subsidies nearly equivalent to an entire working life spent on the dole.

Sometimes you can be a broken drum but I'm totally with you on this. No-one should be able to buy a council house, it takes away an asset belonging to all of us and does nothing to help 'social mobility'.

That sounds like giving people another "right", without considering what responsibilities come along with it.

No it doesn't. Housing should be available to all, not council housing available to all. There are no rights implied in that. Don't bother to disagree by trying to tell me what I think, move the discussion on if you feel strongly about it.

Sometimes you can be a broken drum but I'm totally with you on this. No-one should be able to buy a council house, it takes away an asset belonging to all of us and does nothing to help 'social mobility'.

It does a great deal for social mobility. It gives people a stake in their community and the ability to increase their pot of funds available for their future housing needs by way of modernisation/refurbishment of the property.

The issue is successive governments have failed to replace the stock as it is sold off, but as more people are able to own their own property, the demand will lessen over time.

Thankfully, the current government is trying to have more houses built and is helping people get on the property ladder with schemes like Help to Buy.

Labour failed the social housing sector royally.