Well off council tenants must pay market rent

Sometimes you can be a broken drum but I'm totally with you on this. No-one should be able to buy a council house, it takes away an asset belonging to all of us and does nothing to help 'social mobility'.

The council house has rightly been bought with council tax/rates for people who need social housing, so as you say,not one council house should be sold off.

No it doesn't. Housing should be available to all, not council housing available to all. There are no rights implied in that. Don't bother to disagree by trying to tell me what I think, move the discussion on if you feel strongly about it.

Can you explain what "should be available" means then?

Do you simply mean that there should be enough houses available? Or should it be affordable by some criteria? Should someone who refuses to pay rent or to buy find that a house is still "available"?

It's a great sound bite, but what do you mean?

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 10:29 ----------

The issue is successive governments have failed to replace the stock as it is sold off, but as more people are able to own their own property, the demand will lessen over time.

Ah yes, because fortunately the population is not increasing and people have stopped having children.

Can you explain what "should be available" means then?

Do you simply mean that there should be enough houses available?

That's right. That is what I wrote. I can expand on it but I don't have the time or the inclination to explain the housing market to you so I'll leave you to consult Dr Google to arrive at the simple conclusions.

Now move it on a bit please Cyclone. I'm not interested in your obsession with your continual reinterpretation of what I actually said into what you think I should have said.

Is this just a way of "ethnically cleansing" London of poor people? If so where are they going to go to?

Poor working people don't forget. Hopefully up North as lots of the people affected are going to be skilled workers and I'd be more than happy to welcome them to the People's Republic of Yorkshire!

Ah yes, because fortunately the population is not increasing and people have stopped having children.

I uses the word lesson, not cease. Like I have already stated, social housing should be there for those that need it, not those who think they are entitled to a free lunch.

I uses the word lesson, not cease. Like I have already stated, social housing should be there for those that need it, not those who think they are entitled to a free lunch.

I agree totally. Housebuilders, housing associations and landlords can provide enough homes if we get rid of the things that are holding them back. If councils want to build homes for a profit then they need to do it under the same terms as everyone else, although now I think about it maybe council's should stick to what they are good at because they don't seem to have made a very good job of lots of housing over the years.

In that case, I think I agree.

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 11:18 ----------

I agree totally. Housebuilders, housing associations and landlords can provide enough homes if we get rid of the things that are holding them back. If councils want to build homes for a profit then they need to do it under the same terms as everyone else, although now I think about it maybe council's should stick to what they are good at because they don't seem to have made a very good job of lots of housing over the years.

Councils have had no authority to build houses, but have been legally required to sell off the stock they do have. I'm not sure how that can be their own fault.

Councils have had no authority to build houses, but have been legally required to sell off the stock they do have. I'm not sure how that can be their own fault.

Yet again, you are imagining that I said something that I didn't say Cyclone.