Well off council tenants must pay market rent

Housing should be available to all, not council housing.

It is. Plenty of land to build onto. Anyone interested can buy it.

Loads of new builds to buy. Loads of existing houses standing empty. If you are unhappy with existing stock you can always build your own.

Or even whole estate if you feel like it.

Only thing you need is to work for it.

I agree totally. Housebuilders, housing associations and landlords can provide enough homes if we get rid of the things that are holding them back.

Do you mean building regulations for example? I'll stick with those thank you.

Or credit rating? Not paying for someone else's bad debt makes mine cheaper, I am quite happy with that.

Here is VAT incentive for you. That should help you build your new home.

Loads of new builds to buy. Loads of existing houses standing empty. If you are unhappy with existing stock you can always build your own.

Or credit rating? Not paying for someone else's bad debt makes mine cheaper, I am quite happy with that.

You forgot planning permission which means that there isn't plenty of land to build on.

Yet again, you are imagining that I said something that I didn't say Cyclone.

Once again you imply something, but refuse to come out and say it or acknowledge it. We're used to it now though.

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 11:45 ----------

maybe council's should stick to what they are good at because they don't seem to have made a very good job of lots of housing over the years.

In what way have they not made a good job of it?

You forgot planning permission which means that there isn't plenty of land to build on.

This is another one that erks me. The Uk builds on approx 10% of the space, while countries such as Germany build on nearer 15%. Subsequently the German house prices are more stable and cheaper for all.

Have you ever looked for a self build plot?

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 11:54 ----------

Councils have had no authority to build houses, but have been legally required to sell off the stock they do have. I'm not sure how that can be their own fault.

Perhaps you've imagined that I claimed you said something here?

When in fact it looks like I stated a fact and then said that I didn't believe this was their fault...

Yet again, you are imagining that I said something that I didn't say Cyclone.

Ironic.

This is another one that erks me. The Uk builds on approx 10% of the space, while countries such as Germany build on nearer 15%. Subsequently the German house prices are more stable and cheaper for all.

A good point well made. The UK let's NIMBY's run the roost.

Have you ever looked for a self build plot?

Yep, extortionate prices on rightmove and other online sites, sometimes you can get new build house cheaper. People who sell them must think that planning permission is something unobtainable I would guess.

Your local council can be quite helpful. Maybe not abundant but still there.

Sheffield City Councill even encourages it in a way.

According to my colleagues, about a year's worth and most of that isn't in developers land banks.

"The nine housebuilders in the FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 hold 615,152 housing plots in their landbank, according to financial disclosures. This is four times the total number of homes built in Britain in the past year."

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/30/revealed-housebuilders-sitting-on-450000-plots-of-undeveloped-land

more like 4 years' worth..