Well off council tenants must pay market rent

Complete twaddle. Planning permission is down to the local council and they until recently were doing diddly squat to aid in the building of new houses. Trust me, I know how hard it is to get building permission even for a handful of houses. Its nothing to do with central government, its an issue decided locally.

Apologies, I was talking about large scale house building on strategic sites not infil, which I think is what you are talking about.

Smaller sites for a few houses don't really have an impact on housing numbers so are more down to the councils own officers preferences.

Broadly speaking though you are wrong, housing numbers are set by the government, and planning policy is set by the government.

Planning policy is down to central government though.

Policy is, but permission is down to local government.

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 15:15 ----------

Broadly speaking though you are wrong, housing numbers are set by the government, and planning policy is set by the government.

Correct, but as I have said in my last post, permission is granted locally. Central government has recently started to push local councils for not fulfilling their numbers. This has been a problem for the last 30+ years.

Apologies, I was talking about large scale house building on strategic sites not infil, which I think is what you are talking about.

Smaller sites for a few houses don't really have an impact on housing numbers so are more down to the councils own officers preferences.

They would have an impact, if they were routinely granted.

The rest of Europe has far more self building than we do. They don't have building companies who build hundreds of identikit houses at a time, that's a uniquely British thing.

Im not sure you understand the planning system, planning officers only work within the confines of planning policy system, a planning officer cant just refuse or grant pp on the flip of a coin. Its not completely descriptive and there are local variances but they are all operating within the planning policy framework.

Councils do come up with local plans and development frameworks but again this are tested and questioned by the government.

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 15:15 ----------

Correct, but as I have said in my last post, permission is granted locally. Central government has recently started to push local councils for not fulfilling their numbers. This has been a problem for the last 30+ years.

He's not correct Berberis. I have somebody sat with me now who really does know about this and they are adamant that planning policy is set locally within a national policy framework. Government doesn't get involved in the local implementation detail.

Central government has recently started to push local councils for not fulfilling their numbers.

So local councils are under pressure from the government to agree PP?

The problem is that in many cases these numbers and completely unrealistic due to the levels of build out on housing land (when it does happen its really slow, again to throttle demand). So councils are left in the position that they need to allow almost any development that comes along to meet these unrealistic numbers otherwise their plans as seen as unsound.

There is also the additional financial pressure of the new homes bonus and council tax which means there is also a want from more senior members of the council and councillors to allow development to help balance the books.

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 15:31 ----------

Government doesn't get involved in the local implementation detail.

Correct because the government sets the framework as ive said.

The government doesn't decide each planning permission how could it, it just gives the council the policy guidance to help make those decisions.

Further to this planning policy itself has recently been relaxed with the increase in scope of the general permitted development order (GPDO) and the introduction of the new NPPF.

IMHO its never been easier to get a planning permission. Eric ask your mate if s/he agrees with that.

Edited by the fonz

Correct because the government sets the framework as ive said.

The government doesn't decide each planning permission how could it, it just gives the council the policy guidance to help make those decisions.

Local plans in a national framework. We might be at cross purposes here but you're not making it clear what you think local planners do or what the national framework is. The person opposite me does it professionally but they are looking a bit bemused at what you have written.

IMHO its never been easier to get a planning permission. Eric ask your mate if s/he agrees with that.

They disagree in respect of principal housing sites and is about to blow a blood vessel at the idea that getting planning permission in general is easy. I may have to sign off to calm them down. :)

No, and I stand by my point; your whole argument in the opening post is you expect people to up sticks from council property where they have no housing benefit to private rent where they do. You've then had to embellish this with edge cases and quirks of the system to justify your argument in your desperation to argue the point.

I await the results of this change if it makes it to law, to see how few people actually do as you suggest in the determination to claw more money from the state instead of actually supporting themselves and having the responsibility to live within their means.

Is this your way of avoiding answering my question? Typical :roll:

I repeat:

'Give me one example where I suggested people should be committing fraud to massage their income figures?'