Do you think 15mph speedlimits would help reduce accidents?

rogets

Dear boy, your goading aside, your own maths clearly don't help you to understand the difference between an average speed of Nagel's 14.8mph and a maximum speed limit of 15mph.

I've done with responding to you on this topic. You have nothing to add except your malformed opinions.

The less topics you post in, the better. You contradict for the sake of it, without understanding what you're talking about.

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 11:26 ----------

In terms of a theoretic science discussion with evidence from lab conditions, then you are right. From a real-life traffic situation, this is wrong.

Your statement assumes that everyone else is moving at your speed in the same direction. This simply does not happen

funnily though, and I can't explain it, this is not so.

I'll give you an example (and I expect you to dismiss it as an anecdote and not evidence;), but I'll live with that)

A few years ago, I had a job that involved driving down to head office, just off the M25. The journey home was the worst at the point where the M25 intersects with the M1 northbound and then for 10 miles on the M1 till the London commuter belt was cleared. One thing that became apparent was if there was no 50mph speed limit, the traffic would be worse. One minute you'd be sitting in a queue, going nowhere, the next you'd be racing off through the gears for half a mile, seeing the red lights in front and hitting the brakes hard and queuing again. When the overhead gantries had a 40 or 50mph limit, it would all flow much quicker, with less standing.

I'm aware of how traffic behaves in laminar flow situations, and what you describe is correct. Traffic flowing smoothly with a 50 limit makes better progress than traffic that is stop/starting but with a 70 limit.

We aren't talking about laminar flow scenarios though, traffic is rarely that heavy on residential roads.

I could leave my house now and drive to Hillsborough corner, it's about 1.5 miles.

There are multiple junctions and my average speed would probably be about 15 mphs, with several periods though, 30 seconds, a minute at a time, doing 30 mph, on residential roads with no traffic around.

If I repeat the journey but limit my speed to 15mph at most, then my average speed will fall, and the journey will take longer.

I could go out and prove this right now, but I've got better things to do than drive to Hillsborough corner and back twice.

I agree with this too. Unfortunately, schools don't have the resources to police parents' parking (my son's school doesn't anyway) and any pleas to parents via newsletters etc seem to fall on deaf ears.

CCTV is going in to stop them at the school my wife works at. Letters don't always work as it turned out the worst offenders were from another school up the road

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 11:35 ----------

The Dutch and Germans have home zone streets. "Woonerf" is the dutch version. On residential streets where children might be expected to play motorised traffic has to stick to 15km, effectively 10mph.

http://www.homezones.org/concept.html

I'm aware of how traffic behaves in laminar flow situations, and what you describe is correct. Traffic flowing smoothly with a 50 limit makes better progress than traffic that is stop/starting but with a 70 limit.

We aren't talking about laminar flow scenarios though, traffic is rarely that heavy on residential roads.

I could leave my house now and drive to Hillsborough corner, it's about 1.5 miles.

There are multiple junctions and my average speed would probably be about 15 mphs, with several periods though, 30 seconds, a minute at a time, doing 30 mph, on residential roads with no traffic around.

If I repeat the journey but limit my speed to 15mph at most, then my average speed will fall, and the journey will take longer.

I could go out and prove this right now, but I've got better things to do than drive to Hillsborough corner and back twice.

Nobody is talking about making all roads 15mph, just some. You're inventing your own debating problems here and it's not as if you haven't had it pointed out before.

Second, nobody said that 15mph should be the maximum speed on all roads. In fact, you'd see the suggestion by the OP and others as just the opposite if you were paying attention.

On a personal note,

The less topics you post in, the better. You contradict for the sake of it, without understanding what you're talking about.

Dear boy, it's fewer, not less. I know that maths isn't your personal hotspot, but your English usually seems better. :) Bonne chance mon ami.

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 11:41 ----------

The Dutch and Germans have home zone streets. "Woonerf" is the dutch version. On residential streets where children might be expected to play motorised traffic has to stick to 15km, effectively 10mph.

http://www.homezones.org/concept.html

This is a very good example where low limits have a positive overall effect. The rights that motorists have do need to be tempered by the responsibilities that we all have to each other.

To be more precise, being hit by something at a high speed kills. (Even more specifically, it's the acceleration it imparts that does the damage).

Speed itself is harmless.

Have you ever been called 'pedantic'? :confused:

Yes indeed. Normally by people who are making vague and inaccurate statements and don't like that to be pointed out.

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 11:57 ----------

Nobody is talking about making all roads 15mph, just some. You're inventing your own debating problems here and it's not as if you haven't had it pointed out before.

The 'some' having been identified only as 'residential roads'.

On a personal note,

Dear boy, it's fewer, not less. I know that maths isn't your personal hotspot, but your English usually seems better. :) Bonne chance mon ami.

If you want to be personal, then I've no doubt that my maths qualifications are higher than yours.

I didn't study English beyond GCSE though.

If you want to be personal, then I've no doubt that my maths qualifications are higher than yours.

I didn't study English beyond GCSE though.

That's grade inflation for you. I did GCE and have better maths than your post doctoral peer reviewed theoretical maths. ;)