Do you think 15mph speedlimits would help reduce accidents?

rogets

Have you been run over? If not,why not?

Am I allowed to answer this even though it was aimed at Cyclone....yes I have been run over, bloody hurt too. Guess what? Speeding driver hit me while I was on a zebra crossing. He stopped just long enough to shout 'are you alright love?' before speeding off again. Now, not saying that accident was purely down to his speed, clearly the driver was an utter tool. No speed cameras outside the old Foundry pub in Wincobank so doubtful if a 15mph speed limit would have changed anything.

Whole argument is moot. Driverless cars and haptic alerts on distracting tech for pedestrians are a far more viable way to solve problem. If someone is looking at a phone, in this era of smart cities it is utterly feasible for it to vibrate and give visible warning that they are stepping into path of traffic.

How do you propose that a phone should know when the user is about to step into traffic? GPS isn't accurate enough, and most phones have it disabled for battery reasons unless using it for navigation...

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 12:19 ----------

Have you been run over? If not,why not?

Lots of people have.

So what intervention are you proposing that will somehow stop this.

Go ahead and explain it, no need to be shy. You're going to save thousands of lives a year JUST in the UK... You'll probably get a nobel prize out of it.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 12:21 ----------

Am I allowed to answer this even though it was aimed at Cyclone....yes I have been run over, bloody hurt too. Guess what? Speeding driver hit me while I was on a zebra crossing. He stopped just long enough to shout 'are you alright love?' before speeding off again. Now, not saying that accident was purely down to his speed, clearly the driver was an utter tool. No speed cameras outside the old Foundry pub in Wincobank so doubtful if a 15mph speed limit would have changed anything.

I'd like to see some evidence that a 15mph limit anywhere would actually make a difference, a) to speeds, b) to accidents and c) (how much) to journey times.

I suspect that it wouldn't change a) very much, and thus b) wouldn't change (and c) would also not change).

If a) did change, I doubt that b) would change, and c) would get worse (depending on how many and what roads we're talking about).

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 12:23 ----------

Probably in areas such as Walkley or even Ecclesall road as you often see young people wandering into the road while they are on their mobile phones.

I know it may inconvenience some but surely it has to be better than seeing a sad faced pedestrian bouncing on your bonnet after you've accidently drove into that person.

To me it would make the roads safer for everyone

Just to remind everyone (and Eric). The OP suggested entire areas, Walkley for example... There was no mention of residential roads or side streets.

Really glad that SRT2016 is on the internet and not in real life, if they think that a slight reduction in average traffic speed in a few areas will lead to 1000% inflation.

Whole argument is moot. Driverless cars and haptic alerts on distracting tech for pedestrians are a far more viable way to solve problem. If someone is looking at a phone, in this era of smart cities it is utterly feasible for it to vibrate and give visible warning that they are stepping into path of traffic.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Thing is,in REAL life its not JUST a few areas being bottlenecked.You need to get out more!

Thing is,in REAL life its not JUST a few areas being bottlenecked.You need to get out more!

Surely the point is that most journeys start on small roads with high density of houses (or offices) and parked cars and then transfer to wider, faster roads before finishing back on a small road. A low speed limit would apply only to those roads at the start and finish of such journeys. As a result, the impact on journey times would be small.

Surely the point is that most journeys start on small roads with high density of houses (or offices) and parked cars and then transfer to wider, faster roads before finishing back on a small road. A low speed limit would apply only to those roads at the start and finish of such journeys. As a result, the impact on journey times would be small.

You still sound like your imagining a scenario that suits which is what some often do.The fact is Many speed limits HAVE been reduced on ALL types of roads including motorways which now have 'Smart' reductions which are more often than not,the same as 20mph limits,just not nessercary.

You still sound like your imagining a scenario that suits which is what some often do.The fact is Many speed limits HAVE been reduced on ALL types of roads including motorways which now have 'Smart' reductions which are more often than not,the same as 20mph limits,just not nessercary.

In the context of the 15 mph limits discussed in this thread (or more likely the 20 limits which are already sprouting up in some areas) then the overall impact on journey times is minimal.

Speed limits on trunk and other faster roads are a different issue, and can have a bigger impact on journey times, but that is not what this thread is about.

Except the smart reductions have improved journey times on average by 15% (26% northbound and 9% southbound) on the M42, so a higher speed limit does not always equal a faster journey. It's far more complicated than that.

But yes, there are some roads/areas that should have their speed limits increased whilst others decreased. I'd support an 80mph limit on motorways without a moments hesitation.

Genuine question..where do your figures come from?

Ahem. Wikipedia...sorry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M42_motorway#Managed_motorways_and_Active_Traffic_Management

But it referenced the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7061188.stm

But it's not clear if the journey times increased because of the usage of the hard shoulder or the speed limits. So it might well not be speed limit related after all...struggling to find much more than that though.