Prison and sentencing that works

Criminal punishment  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Criminal punishment

• Prisons should be improved
    • Prisons should be harder
    • Sentences should send more people to prison
    • Sentences should keep more people in the community

I'd suggest everyone with an armchair opinion on prison read's Jeffrey Archer's prison diaries trilogy. He spends a lot of time talking with inmates and prison officers of the problems.

The most common ones which come up the most are:

1) Burglaries. Easy way to make money and retire early, accepting prison as an occupational hazard (Norman Stanley Fletcher anyone?)

2) Drugs. Easy to obtain inside.

3) Cushy. I know we hear this old stereotype but some convicts do have a better life inside than out, because inside they've got a bed and access to food for nothing. Offenders who've completed their sentence get very little in the way of support when they're out, so its common to offend immediately after to get sent back.

The problems come with identifying who genuinely wants rehabilitation and those who are just playing the game.

However, we cannot endless give chances, so perhaps an almost 2-tier prison system based partially on severity of crime and also on rehabilitation potential. First crime, even if it's murder should have a prison with education, decent standard of accommodation, work opportunities and so on. However, if you reoffend or show no rehabilitation potential then it's off to the absolute bare bones prison where we meet our human rights requirements and nothing more.

I agree with this, very sensible. You get a chance, but you don't go on getting chances forever.

I can't believe you've put that..

Do you have children sgtkate? That made me cringe reading it.

The death penalty should be re-introduced for child rapists... not rehabilitation centres.

About to have my first and I highly doubt my view will change. Unlike you it would appear I try to think with my head first and not my heart. Large numbers of paedophiles have been proven to have a mental condition and many come forward seeking help and can't get any. It will of course depend massive on what's been done, how, when, why etc, same as any other crime. Our indignation about certain crimes changes nothing about how they should be dealt with in the courts.

Sorry, sounded like I was having a pop. I wasn't really, just get frustrated with peoples inability to think rationally the moment children are mentioned that's all.

Edited by sgtkate

The reason why prisons fail in many instances,isnt because of what happens when they are there,its what happens when they leave.

Chucked out with no money back in to the same circumstances they were in when they left.

Many are better off in prison and they know it so they have no fear of going back to 3 meals a day.

About to have my first and I highly doubt my view will change. Unlike you it would appear I try to think with my head first and not my heart. Large numbers of paedophiles have been proven to have a mental condition and many come forward seeking help and can't get any. It will of course depend massive on what's been done, how, when, why etc, same as any other crime. Our indignation about certain crimes changes nothing about how they should be dealt with in the courts.

Sorry, sounded like I was having a pop. I wasn't really, just get frustrated with peoples inability to think rationally the moment children are mentioned that's all.

Please do not claim to know anything about me just from a few posts on SF... Let's just say we'll have to agree to disagree on this as I feel very different to you and I will never understand your way of thinking when it comes to monsters like them..

Congrats on the baby though :clap:

There are figures available for the re-offending rates for the various regimes. They are all pretty dismal.

But, the one that works the best is time. By that I mean the older you get the less crime you commit*. Therefore, a system to reduce the opportunities to commit offences whist old father time does his work gets my vote.

* - sexual offences may be an exception to this.

Please do not claim to know anything about me just from a few posts on SF... Let's just say we'll have to agree to disagree on this as I feel very different to you and I will never understand your way of thinking when it comes to monsters like them..

Congrats on the baby though :clap:

Agreed, and thanks. I did put an apology whilst leaving the original quote as I realised after posting I was being unfairly judgemental.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 11:20 ----------

There are figures available for the re-offending rates for the various regimes. They are all pretty dismal.

But, the one that works the best is time. By that I mean the older you get the less crime you commit*. Therefore, a system to reduce the opportunities to commit offences whist old father time does his work gets my vote.

* - sexual offences may be an exception to this.

Locking up everyone until they are over 50 seems a little extreme! :hihi:

Sorry didn't see the bottom bit until after I posted..

To be fair, just wait until you've actually got your baby in your arms... That child becomes your world and you'll realise that you have never been so rational as you are as a parent ;)

Sorry didn't see the bottom bit until after I posted..

To be fair, just wait until you've actually got your baby in your arms... That child becomes your world and you'll realise that you have never been so rational as you are as a parent ;)

I suspect you are quite right, I'll go from calm and logical to a foaming at the mouth loon the moment someone even looks wrongly at my little girl! I'll be the first to get back to you to admit it as well!

The death penalty should be re-introduced for child rapists... not rehabilitation centres.

Even the ones who were raped as children themselves? Come on, let's have it, that is what you mean. Your proxy revenge seems more important to you than solving the problem. Unless you've got a very good explanation that makes you a sociopath in my book.