Prison and sentencing that works

Criminal punishment  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Criminal punishment

• Prisons should be improved
    • Prisons should be harder
    • Sentences should send more people to prison
    • Sentences should keep more people in the community

Not before time there seems to be some effort being put into making prisons into places for reform rather than punishment.

Except where somebody is an immediate danger to others, prisons don't work. Something needs to be sorted out with sentencing too so that offenders don't get taken out of society to fall even further through the cracks in prison.

I don't want prisoners reformed by been soft on them, I want ANY one sent to prison to rue the day he/she committed the crime that got them sent there. An end to colour TV's, x boxes, games rooms, lounging about without a care in the world.

Bring back bread and water, 12 hour work days, up at five work till five, dig a hole for six hours and fill it back in for the next six hours. Let's see how many would commit a crime after serving their time in jail, my best guess - not many.

Of course my suggestion will never be implemented, as it would impinge on the poor prisoners human rights. Never mind about the human rights of the people murdered, mugged, assaulted, robbed, burgled, raped and all the rest of the crimes committed on them by the unsavoury.

Zero tolerance on any law breakers.

Angel1.

I don't want prisoners reformed by been soft on them, I want ANY one sent to prison to rue the day he/she committed the crime that got them sent there. An end to colour TV's, x boxes, games rooms, lounging about without a care in the world.

Bring back bread and water, 12 hour work days, up at five work till five, dig a hole for six hours and fill it back in for the next six hours. Let's see how many would commit a crime after serving their time in jail, my best guess - not many.

Of course my suggestion will never be implemented, as it would impinge on the poor prisoners human rights. Never mind about the human rights of the people murdered, mugged, assaulted, robbed, burgled, raped and all the rest of the crimes committed on them by the unsavoury.

Zero tolerance on any law breakers.

Angel1.

It's an opinion I suppose. The trouble is that it has been tried before, along with execution, prison ships, deportation, amputation, torture, even lobotomy, and yet we still have criminals that yoyo in and out of prisons. That strongly suggests that your tough guy methods aren't a deterrent at all.

The only thing we haven't tried is proper community rehabilitation.

Just saying. :|

|

Isn't that what a Community Service Order is? They have problems as well I read that 75% of them re-offended..some while they were on their CSO..at least if they're in prison they can't re-offend against the public..

I think that the fear of getting caught could in lot of occasions act as a better deterrence rather than a fear of the punishment. I'd speculate that a lot of the criminals believe that they're going to get away with their crimes, so don't even consider what the punishment will be.

Isn't that what a Community Service Order is? They have problems as well I read that 75% of them re-offended..some while they were on their CSO..at least if they're in prison they can't re-offend against the public..

I don't know anything worthwhile about CSO's apart from seeing a group maintaining a churchyard and a friend who ended up with some hours because of an alcohol problem, but my emphasis is on proper community rehabilitation. :)

Looking at the photo in this article the first thing that strikes me is that tough guy words like COMMUNITY PAYBACK aren't going to get anyone off to a good start. I honestly don't have a great insight into an answer, but there must be a better way. I don't see how rehabilitation begins with a dayglo humiliation jacket in a church graveyard, so maybe CSO's don't work either.

It's an opinion I suppose. The trouble is that it has been tried before, along with execution, prison ships, deportation, amputation, torture, even lobotomy, and yet we still have criminals that yoyo in and out of prisons. That strongly suggests that your tough guy methods aren't a deterrent at all.

Noone is saying give people a free ride forever, but if we could prove (I don't think we can this is pure speculation) that treating prisoners humanely with good accommodation, education etc that less would reoffend, i.e. would mean less crime, would you support it then? Because if not, then all you are doing is looking to get revenge and that's pretty pointless.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 13:52 ----------

I don't know anything worthwhile about CSO's apart from seeing a group maintaining a churchyard and a friend who ended up with some hours because of an alcohol problem, but my emphasis is on proper community rehabilitation. :)

Looking at the photo in this article the first thing that strikes me is that tough guy words like COMMUNITY PAYBACK aren't going to get anyone off to a good start. I honestly don't have a great insight into an answer, but there must be a better way. I don't see how rehabilitation begins with a dayglo humiliation jacket in a church graveyard, so maybe CSO's don't work either.

Maybe nothing short of the death penalty (guaranteed no reoffending then!) or a total reworking of society will work. The problem is that all we really see crime-wise is blue collar crime. Don't forget the thousands of white collar criminals who commit fraud or other seemingly 'victimless' crimes.

What do you consider to be proper community rehabilitation?

I'm happy to try proper community rehabilitation until the point it's a waste of time. Three (or five if you want) strikes and your out (or rather in) for serious time.

There are burglars who have been in and out for years who have no appetite to change.

What do you consider to be proper community rehabilitation?

That's a good question and as I already said I don't have a decent answer, but I will give it a go.

From what I know of rehabilitation it begins with understanding the problem that you have and / or are causing.

Once that's appreciated you can work on methods to eliminate that destructive behaviour.

You then gradually try them out in the wild before making the move back into regular life.

A support system remains in the background in case you need help to stop the slide back into destructive behavior.

Does that sound like a reasonable framework to get the conversation going? It sounds better than a dayglo humiliation jacket and your name in the local paper.